MLB 2009 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There have been about a half dozen times that someone has asked what his acronym means. About ten times someone has explained it. So if you simply read this thread you might pick up on it. Its not an Eastern thing, its an O-thing!

But I guess you're just a half-assed baseball fan who thinks the world somehow revolves around a team that hasn't won a World Series in several generations, and doesn't even pay attention to other National League teams.

That's just fucking lame.

Once again for clarity...here is the post I reacted to:

WFC magic number down to 4 on the Marlins and 5 on the Braves.

No mention of the Phillies and I was talking about the Marlins, Dan. Scroll back for further clarification.

An easy misunderstanding, no big and who cares?

I hate to say this but the Yankees are going to hard to beat in the playoffs, especially at home -- though they can't seem to nail down that fourth starter, which will hurt. Angeles have a chance, but I'm not overly optimistic about them.

I definitely feel better about the Angels after NY took 2 of 3 out there. Nothing's a given in the playoffs, of course, esp. given NY's spotty performance over the past several years, but Boston's the team that concerns me the most right now. And yes, you're right about Joba... will he get back on track from the erratic "Joba rules" or not? Big if there!

Edited by ghost of miles

Oh, I think the Angels will be ready and plenty motivated and will be a tough out for the Yankees should they meet in the Playoffs.

No doubt about that, but I'd say it's a toss-up now...before this past series, I would have given a betting edge to the Angels.

I'm still going with the Angels.

Lot of emotional stuff wrapped up in this one.

OK, so the Rangers lost again to the A's and the Red Sox, behind another excellent outing from Buchholz, seem to have their game in hand against the Royals. That would drop the Magic Number to 3.

The Yankees have clinched a playoff spot but, being the class organization they are, did not celebrate on that day earlier this week, preferring to celebrate a Division championship when it happens. The Magic Number for that is 5.

So, in order for the Yankees to celebrate in front of the Red Sox, they need to sweep this weekend's series.

However, if the Red Sox sweep, or win two while the Rangers lose once (they host the Rays) or win once while the Rangers lose twice, then the first champagne drenching of the carpet at Yankee Stadium III will be by the Boston Red Sox.

I gotta say that would put a smile on my face. :P

Of course, Yankee fans will counter that its the last team to celebrate that really matters, but you gotta believe that the sight of the Sox celebrating will stick in the craw of a few Yankee fans.

Can you imagine if the Yankees do sweep but the Rays sweep the Rangers, too? It would be the first champagne celebration to take place simultaneously in the home and visitors clubhouse. :wacko:

If it happens, thank you Bud Selig.

L 11

We might not win another game this season

Go Browns!!

Look at it this way...each loss puts your team in position to get an even better pick in the draft! :excited:

as usual...the sports media has ignored the Braves in the wildcard hunt. ESPN still talking about the Giants who are 4 back after last night's loss...Braves are 3.5 back, just 3 in the loss column! I have now jinxed them! ;)

As someone said on a braves forum.....

And while we have 7 with the Nats wrapped around 3 with the Fish, the Rox have 3 at home with St. Louie, 3 at home with Milwaukee, and finish with 3 at LA. Do you know how easily they could go 4-5 over their last 9????

So the race that looked to be over, ain't! At least not yet....

I see where the Red Sox are going to start Jon Lester in the first game of the ALDS. Good choice, Beckett is so inconsistant, that you don't know what you're going to get out of him.

Haven't seen that its 100% official but it does make sense, as Lester's performance since late May matches up with anyone in the league, including Lincecum - I saw that they had almost the exact same ERA, over that stretch, and Lester did it in the DH league!

Nevertheless, Beckett is crucial to October. He has to remember that its playoff time and do what he's done in the past. I'm just glad he's stopped giving up the long ball after that awful stretch. I also think Lester in Game 1 against the Angels has another advantage - they haven't seen him this year, which means they haven't seen the changeup that he mixes in now.

L 11

We might not win another game this season

Go Browns!!

Look at it this way...each loss puts your team in position to get an even better pick in the draft! :excited:

as usual...the sports media has ignored the Braves in the wildcard hunt. ESPN still talking about the Giants who are 4 back after last night's loss...Braves are 3.5 back, just 3 in the loss column! I have now jinxed them! ;)

As someone said on a braves forum.....

And while we have 7 with the Nats wrapped around 3 with the Fish, the Rox have 3 at home with St. Louie, 3 at home with Milwaukee, and finish with 3 at LA. Do you know how easily they could go 4-5 over their last 9????

So the race that looked to be over, ain't! At least not yet....

I'm sure that the announcement that Bobby "Dead in the Dugout" Cox is retiring next year will inspire the Braves to... something????

Yes, I'd rather beat the Bosox with all of their hands healthy and on deck. Lots to like from last night's game, for sure--Joba's and A-Rod's performance...managing to keep Hughes and Rivera on ice for today and/or tomorrow...and what was up with the Yanks' 7 stolen bases? A season-high, evidently.

To me it looks like Varitek has become a serious liability for the Sox. He doesn't throw anyone out stealing and he's become quite pathetic at the plate, practically a sure out, or worse, two, as he hit into at least one DP last night. Just hope this keeps up whenever he faces NY at least.