MLB 2009 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bitter! BTW, I carry no hate for Barry Bonds. In fact, I have no hate for any of the steroid users and consider all their numbers legitimate.

Terrible evening for the Dodgers. Kuroda took a liner off the noggin that careened clear into the stands behind home plate. Then Broxton served up back to back homers to the DBacks in the bottom of the 9th to blow a 3-1 advantage, and Arizona won it in the 10th. Maybe that will brighten Brother Goodz' demeanor. :rolleyes:

Man...a wicked line drive off his forehead. Yeow!

I would never be glad a player got injured. Even a Dodger.

But I was happy they lost :g

So if not for a fluke ninth inning rally, the worthless pieces of contemptible shit would have been swept in Texas, with two fucking runs scored per game. 8 1/2 to the Yankees in another two hours. Out of the wild card and as I said, no doubt about it out of contention by September 1.

For once will you do something useful and beat the motherfucking Yankees in October? I'm fucking begging you, Al.

Shit like this makes me wish there was a way to ignore posters within certain threads, because frankly Dan, as much as I enjoy discussing jazz with you and doing the BFT thing with you, I'm sick to death of opening this thread and reading your latest fair-weather profanity-laced diatribe against your alleged "favorite" team.

I'm also tired of you trashing my team all the time, as if they're not worthy to play in the same major league as your team. Did you notice that the Rangers DIDN'T roll over and play dead after Friday night? Last year's team would've done just that (and, in fact, they did after that one game where they were down by ten, came back to take the lead, only to blow it again and again); I'm damn proud of the Rangers that they bounced right back and took the remaining two games. I'm sorry you feel that the Rangers don't play to your standards, but I sure as hell am not sorry that the Rangers owned the Sox this year, taking 7 of 9. What really pisses me off is you don't give credit to anyone: in your world, this happened because the Red Sox are "contemptible pieces of shit," not because the Rangers actually played good baseball this year!

As for your October comment, yeah, I hope the Rangers win as well, but I'm not holding my breath. However, if it irritates Red Sox fans like you if the Yankees beat the Rangers in the first round (which is still anybody's grab as of today, the season isn't over last time I checked), I'm quite alright with that, too.

(EDITED. Last paragraph re-written.)

Edited by Big Al

Well, looks like the wait for the annual Rangers free-fall is finally over, after having dropped three in a row to the A's.... ah well, it was fun while it lasted.

You've been playing without Kinsler the past week as he's been out with a bad hamstring. Getting him back adds punch & (depending on how healed the hamstring is) speed back to the lineup.

Cough, cough, he who homered in each of his 1st 2 games back vs. the Red Sox. ;)

They say they'll probably move him back up to lead off where before the injury he was on track to set the record for RBI from that spot. 6th might not be bad though he can clear 'em & set up down there nicely too.

Not to jinx your team, but it's very very weird to see such fine young starting pitching down there in Texas! Having such excellent defense is part of why it's so good. It's shaping up to being an interesting stretch drive.

It's amazing, and fun, that the Mariners are still hanging around in the wild card race, just six games behind. Looking at their schedule, their August games don't look too bad, they have the Tigers, Oakland, Cleveland, and Kansas City. Who knows, with a schedule like that they might make up some ground. However, in September the have, among others the Angeles, Yankees, Tampa Bay, Blue Jays, as well as Texas -- tough going for most of the month. Tampa Bay is the one team I cannot figure out, they just can't get going, I thought there was a good chance that after they beat Boston, they would go on a big run, but they continue to be hit and miss. Which is a long way of saying that Texas just might pull this wild card spot off after it's all said and done. It would be very strange if the wild card race came down to when Texas vs. Seattle go against each other in the final weekend of the season.

It's amazing, and fun, that the Mariners are still hanging around in the wild card race, just six games behind. Looking at their schedule, their August games don't look too bad, they have the Tigers, Oakland, Cleveland, and Kansas City. Who knows, with a schedule like that they might make up some ground. However, in September the have, among others the Angeles, Yankees, Tampa Bay, Blue Jays, as well as Texas -- tough going for most of the month. Tampa Bay is the one team I cannot figure out, they just can't get going, I thought there was a good chance that after they beat Boston, they would go on a big run, but they continue to be hit and miss. Which is a long way of saying that Texas just might pull this wild card spot off after it's all said and done. It would be very strange if the wild card race came down to when Texas vs. Seattle go against each other in the final weekend of the season.

Texas may have an edge because I believe they have a pretty favorable schedule. They have a bunch of games against Baltimore/Minnesota/Cleveland/Toronto, and they'll all be just playing out the string. Should be an interesting WC race.

Big Al,

The Rangers have my full blessing to sweep the remaining games against the A's this year as I think it would be great for Baseball if the Rangers got in. Its all about 2010-11 for the A's anyways so go get em! The A's are tossing Tomko out to the Yankees on Tuesday so sorry Sox and Rays fans no help from the A's with the Yankees this week.

Good Speak,

If the Giants come back with Fred Lewis and Randy Wynn next year I will puke. Molina had the big hr Saturday but over the last couple weeks with him, Rowand and Wynn its been some of the most pathetic ab's I have ever seen in my life.

Cool bit of trivia today as its the anniversary of Steve Carlton winning his 20-game and 15th straight in 1972, the year he won 27 game for the last-place Phillies who wet 59-97. One of the most awesome pitching displays of all time.

Any bets that Stephen Strasburg will sign today or not? I can't believe that he will turn down a 15-20 million dollar bonus, but with Boras as his agent, I guess anything is possible.

Given that Boras likes to go down to the wire, we may see an absurd bonus coupled with a last minute signing. That said, it's still a crapshoot whether he'll pan out as a star pitcher. Mark Prior got over $10mil and he hasn't come close to being a star pitcher when he's not on the DL.

Big Al,

The Rangers have my full blessing to sweep the remaining games against the A's this year as I think it would be great for Baseball if the Rangers got in. Its all about 2010-11 for the A's anyways so go get em! The A's are tossing Tomko out to the Yankees on Tuesday so sorry Sox and Rays fans no help from the A's with the Yankees this week.

Good Speak,

If the Giants come back with Fred Lewis and Randy Wynn next year I will puke. Molina had the big hr Saturday but over the last couple weeks with him, Rowand and Wynn its been some of the most pathetic ab's I have ever seen in my life.

Cool bit of trivia today as its the anniversary of Steve Carlton winning his 20-game and 15th straight in 1972, the year he won 27 game for the last-place Phillies who wet 59-97. One of the most awesome pitching displays of all time.

That season was one of the most incredible single seasons by a pitcher- he won almost half of their games!

What's the highest # of wins posted in one season by a starting pitcher since Guidry went 25-3 for the Yanks in '78? Anybody else match or surpass 25 since then? Just curious--I don't know the answer. But yeah, that Carlton rung up 27 wins for a last-place team is simply amazing.

1990 Bob Welch (Oakland) 27-6. He was very consistent as he went 13-3 in the first half, 14-3 the rest of the way. 14 W at home, 13 on the road. His run support was 5.21.

Others with 25 since Guidry's include:

1980 Steve Stone (Baltimore) 25-7. He won the Cy, but after going 4-7 the next year he was done. The O's scored a whopping 5.69 runs per game for him.

Best in NL since Carlton:

1973 Ron Bryant (Giants) 24-12. 270 innings at age 25. He'd go 3-15 the following year and 0-1 after that. Giants scored 4.61 for him. His ERA was 3.53.

1980 Steve Carlton (Phillies) 24-9, 304 IP w/ 13 CG. The World Champ Phils scored 4.39 for him. His ERA was 2.34.

In his famous '72 season his run support was 3.83. His ERA was 1.97. He threw THIRTY complete games.

1985 Doc Gooden (Mets) 24-4 with a 1.53 ERA, 276 IP 16 CG at age 20. His run support was 4.83.

2002 The Big Unit (D-backs) 24-5. 260 IP, 2.32 ERA. A whopping 5.73 for run support.

There were a few 24 game win seasons after Guidry in the AL as well. Probably the most famous of the dumb Cy Young picks was his 24-10 season with the '83 White Sox. He had a 3.66 ERA and the team scored 5.54 runs for him. But other than Quiz there weren't any stand out starters as sometimes happens.

Clemens ('86) & Viola ('88) also won 24 after Guidry's 25.

Oh yeah, Guidry's run support for his 25 win season was 4.85.

Probably my poster child season for rotten luck and (duh) how important run support is for wins is Nolan Ryan in 1987.

League leading 2.76 ERA

League leading 270 strike outs. 11.5 K per 9 innings.

But he goes 8-16 as the 'stros could only score 3.28 runs scored per game when he started. 3 times they were shut out, 8 times they just scored 1 run.

I think Bob Welsh for Oakland won 27 games in the late 80s

The thing is he was the third best pitcher on that team behind Eck and Stewart, Stewart who had a better ERA of 2.56 to Welch's 2.95 and more K's 166 to 127.

Eck from that year clocks in with 48 saves, 0.61 ERA, 73 innings pitched with 41 hits and 73 K's and 4 walks. A 0.61 ERA and 4 walks for a year is insane. How the hell that team got swept by the Reds in the WS I will never know.

Edited by WorldB3

I say, everybody needs to start throwing at the [hated] Dodgers hitters.

I would never be glad a player got injured. Even a Dodger.

You aren't very consistent, dude!

Um.

You're kidding, right?

Purposely trying to injure or end a guy's career is a WAY different thing than just plunking him, Aggie.

The baseball "code' is if you hit one of our guys with a pitch, we will hit one of your guys. That has absolutely nothing at all to do with trying to bean someone with the purpose of causing undo bodily injury, end of career hurt or death. OK?

No disrespect intended, but I seriously wonder if you actually understand the game.

Edited by GoodSpeak

I pitched from Little League through college and pitched adult baseball for 9 years- and I never threw at someone to intentionally hurt them. I threw at people to make a statement and always aimed below the shoulders. I was thrown at also because I previously hit someone- that's one reason I don't like the DH- eventually you'll have to bat as a pitcher. Throwing at someone's head is the worst you can do- actually behind their head because their first reaction is to move away from the plate- and into the flight path of the pitched ball.

Nice loss by the Cubs last night vs the Padres

6 games out and counting

It's not looking too good for the Cubs right now. On another note: How long has the "walk-off bounce" been in effect? It seems that every walk-off homer gets celebrated with the bounce now, it can't be more than two years for that.

Nice loss by the Cubs last night vs the Padres

6 games out and counting

It's not looking too good for the Cubs right now. On another note: How long has the "walk-off bounce" been in effect? It seems that every walk-off homer gets celebrated with the bounce now, it can't be more than two years for that.

...always happy to see another Cubs loss...but there is a ways to go. Hopefully they will lose some more:-)

m~