MLB 2009 Season

Another thought. The addition of Nick Swisher may be the single most important move the Yanks have made in some time. You can just see how loose this group is and how much fun they're having. A good portion of this is attributable to the free spirit that is Mr. Swisher. Even A-Rod, who, statistically, is having a serious off-year, is visibly happier. You simply can't say too much about the effect of good chemistry.

Dave, another moment I enjoyed tonight was how Teixeira ran down the first-base line still holding his bat up in his hand as he watched to see whether or not his homer-in-progress would stay fair.

Big Al, isn't Texas now tied with Boston for the wild-card?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was I the only one (maybe besides Dan ;) ) that got tired of all the curtian calls by the Yankees? Geesh, just sit down already! I don't think I can take the Yankees in a world series. What's great though, is that both Texas and Seattle are in the wild card hunt, it woould be great to see either one in the playoffs.

Edited by Matthew

Maybe you people will fucking start respecting what I say about my own fucking collection of losers. A miraculous one run lead simply gave them another unique way to fuck it away and make the embarrassment even worse. I knew Damon could take Bard deep and once he did, I was certain it was over. Varitek should be strung up by his testicles for calling a second slider in a row to Mr. Leigh Teixeira. Fucking moronic piece of shit asshole.

Yes, there is now a tie for the WC race with about 50 games to go. The Red Sox have four at home against Detroit then go to Texas for three, while the Rangers have three at Cleveland before the weekend series and the Rays get the Angels for 3 and Toronto at home for three.

I predict that the Rangers will have at least a three game lead over the Red Sox by Sunday night,

who will be looking up at the Rays as well.

With Chicago, Toronto, the Yankees and Tampa Bay standing between the Red Sox and their next series victory against Baltimore September 8-9, they will be ten games off the pace in the wild card, 15 to the Yankees in the division, on September 7.

Anyone care to contradict me?

The Dodgers' bats have been very quiet lately, it's got me worried. Doesn't look like they'll get past the Phillies or the Cards.

I know the offense issues started before the Braves came to town, but the braves have some starting pitching. It could be argued, they have the best 1-5 in the game.

Kawakami is basically the 5th starter,(And paid more like a 2nd or 3rd) but when he's against a big opponent, say Halladay, the Red Sox, or against the Dodgers, he has been huge! Funny, for a Japanese pitcher, I would have expected more consistency, but he needs challenges. I wouldn't mind a bit IF the braves made the playoffs, for him to start game one.

Derek Lowe is paid as a number one, but is more of a number 4 of late. But his 4.15, while the worst of all the starters, is not really that bad. But it seems like his sinker was crisper the first month and a half of the season.

Tommy Hanson. Our 4th or 5th starter. While he has come down to earth a bit of late, a 6-2 record and a 3.22 ERA in your first year is nothing to sneeze at! He has gone at least 5 innings every time out. He is simply not pitching like a 22 year old. Check out Maddux, Glavine, or Smoltz first year or two and see how truly bad they were!

Now for the 2 best starters. Jair Jurrjens. Who??? I know, many here probably don't know the name. He simply gets no run support. 9-8 with a 3.08 ERA. 13-10 last year, with a 3.68 ERA. And he was born in 1986, like Hanson! Gee, think the Tigers ever regret handing him over in the Edgar Renteria trade??? :crazy: Even Lowe said early in the year after he pitched, well we have our best pitcher going tomorrow, talking about Jurrjens. Could have been trying to boost the kids confidence. Could have been just telling it the way it is.

But the guy with the best ERA??? Pitched the most innings??? Who has the 2nd most strikeouts in the NL??? Javier Vazquez! I can tell you, I was NOT happy about getting him this spring. Career ERA over 4.

Check out his year by year ERA from 2004. 2004- 4.91. 2005(in the NL by the way) 4.42. 2006-4.84. 2007-3.74. 2008-4.67.

We traded Tyler Flowers, a guy that in the spring of 2008 was hitting balls much further than anyone else. We gave him up for some hack, who wilted when called out by his manager to step up his game. Then he pitched in the WC this spring. I figured he was a likely candidate for Tommy John.

Instead, 10-7(should be about 14-3) 2.90 era, 155 innings, 171 strike outs! And a month ago, many braves fans, including me, were all for trading him to get the illusive big bopper. Well, right now...we are glad he is still on the club!

I don't know if it's having a manager that actually respects him, or being closer to family in Puerto Rico (Heard that was an issue in Arizona) but he has been gold, and at the age of 33 is having his career year. Go figure.

Well, Varitek is the only catcher in MLB history to have caught 4 no-hitters, so it's safe to say he calls a pretty good game. It's not his fault the pitcher left the slider up in Texeira's wheelhouse. Maybe he should have known his pitcher was leaving breaking balls up...I was never a catcher so I don't know. It's nitpicking, you're pretty much assessing the slump for what's wrong with how your boys are playing.

For the Dodgers, who are now 17-16 since the return of Manny Ramirez, the problem has been the lack of run production. I don't have the stats but I'd bet dollars to donuts the RISP numbers are way down in that stretch, seems like they're stranding baserunners at the same rate they were plating them early in the season. The pitchers are overworked and are getting shelled more often. It's adding up to a late season slide. Torre called a team meeting after yesterday's loss, maybe he can fire up the troops.

Well, Varitek is the only catcher in MLB history to have caught 4 no-hitters, so it's safe to say he calls a pretty good game. It's not his fault the pitcher left the slider up in Texeira's wheelhouse. Maybe he should have known his pitcher was leaving breaking balls up...I was never a catcher so I don't know. It's nitpicking, you're pretty much assessing the slump for what's wrong with how your boys are playing.

For the Dodgers, who are now 17-16 since the return of Manny Ramirez, the problem has been the lack of run production. I don't have the stats but I'd bet dollars to donuts the RISP numbers are way down in that stretch, seems like they're stranding baserunners at the same rate they were plating them early in the season. The pitchers are overworked and are getting shelled more often. It's adding up to a late season slide. Torre called a team meeting after yesterday's loss, maybe he can fire up the troops.

Noj,

Torre has a penchant for overworking his bullpen(see Yankees 2004), so you may see some late inning collapses as the overworked bullpen wears out. If you're not scoring also it could get ugly...

LOL

Who wants to argue baseball with Dan and have him call you every name in the book and then cuss your ass out

Anyone want to step up to the plate?

Don't be scared

He always plays well with others

LOL

I put him on the ignore list. I got tired of him bulling other posters and coming here after a Red Sox loss and seeing every swear word in the book to describe a player on the Red Sox that ruined his life for that day. Never once did he give the other team credit, its always the Red Sox fault and despite them being the only team to win TWO world titles this century and being in the top four or two in Payroll who can buy what ever free agent they need I am supposed to feel sorry for the long suffering Red Sox fans. Gag me.

The saddest part is he doesn't know how lucky is his to have a team that will always be in the running due to their cable TV revenue and will never have to re-build.

The problem with Baseball isn't roids its that out of the top 8 highest payroll teams 7 of them will get playoff spots year after year.

I got tired of him bulling other posters and coming here after a Red Sox loss and seeing every swear word in the book to describe a player on the Red Sox that ruined his life for that day. Never once did he give the other team credit, its always the Red Sox fault

But..... that's damn near EVERY Red Sox fan, not just Dan. And even among themselves, they argue vociferously over who hates the Red Sox more!

The Rangers are in the wild-card running. Woo hoo. Hey, I'm happy for them because they're doing infinitely better than anyone (myself included) thought they would do this year; but they still got a ways to go before they become the powerhouse they have the potential to be.

Nevertheless, win or lose, they're my team and I'll always root for 'em!

I got tired of him bulling other posters and coming here after a Red Sox loss and seeing every swear word in the book to describe a player on the Red Sox that ruined his life for that day. Never once did he give the other team credit, its always the Red Sox fault

But..... that's damn near EVERY Red Sox fan, not just Dan. And even among themselves, they argue vociferously over who hates the Red Sox more!

The Rangers are in the wild-card running. Woo hoo. Hey, I'm happy for them because they're doing infinitely better than anyone (myself included) thought they would do this year; but they still got a ways to go before they become the powerhouse they have the potential to be.

Nevertheless, win or lose, they're my team and I'll always root for 'em!

The Rangers also have some good talent down on the farm from what I've heard, so the future looks bright for them. Tied for the wildcard with 50 games to go ain't bad either.

Yanks pulled it out tonight, with back-to-back homers in the 8th a la Sunday night against the Sox... glad for the win, what with Chamberlain getting knocked about and Rivera's scoreless streak being snapped. But what of this oddity, buried in the "Baseball Notes" at the end of the wire-story recap?

The Yankees held their second Kangaroo Court before the game with Rivera serving as judge, complete with a gavel and robe. “It was great and everything was perfect,” a grinning Rivera said, while refusing to get into any specifics.

?? Dave, that is indeed one loose clubhouse this year!

Phils can forget about repeating this year w/ Bradley Thomas Lidge as their closer. It amazing of how poorly he has pitched this year compared to last year when he was a perfect 48 for 48. Including tonight he has 7 blown saves and an ERA of 7.29 WTF?

Could the fine folks in Northern Ohio interest you in one Kerry Wood? :rolleyes:

...I didn't think so.

Some ejections, including Youk, in the Bos/Det contest.

Tribe shuts out Texas, 5-0. Aaron Laffey pitches well at home. They're 13-6 in their last 19, and closing in on Oakland for the 11th best record in the AL!

Big Al

Don't be mad at me after we sweep the Rangers

We gotta do what we gotta do to make the wildcard this season

What is it about the Rangers that they can beat teams with a better record than theirs (Angels & Sox), but can't do squat against teams with a worse record than theirs (Seaatle & the Tribe)? Boggles the mind, it does.....

I'm here in the Bay Area for the week, so I've been watching the Dodgers - Giants games. The Blue has hammered the Giants the first two games, not even close. We'll see about this afternoon when Lincecum takes the mound for the Giants. This Eugenio Velez, plays second base for the Giants, I cannot stand his style of play, it's about the ugliest I've ever seen.

I'm here in the Bay Area for the week, so I've been watching the Dodgers - Giants games. The Blue has hammered the Giants the first two games, not even close. We'll see about this afternoon when Lincecum takes the mound for the Giants. This Eugenio Velez, plays second base for the Giants, I cannot stand his style of play, it's about the ugliest I've ever seen.

Yeah, but Uribe sure as hell beat your smug little Dodger asses today, didn't he. Walk-off HR, baby. And they are throwing at everybody's big hitters, too. Typical Dodger chicken shit.

And Freddy Sanchez plays 2B.

Six more games in September with my guys and I hope to God they just bury those stinkin' Dodgers then bean Mannywood, Ethier and Blake [twice] right in the ear hole....the lucky bastards.

FUCK the Dodgers.

Grrrrrr :angry:

Edited by GoodSpeak

Seems like the Cubs better win their division if they want to make the playoffs

The Cards had some crappy teams to play the last week and a half and took care of bidnezzz

Agree. I don't see the Cubs making the post season this year as the WC. The Rockies, Giants, Marlins, and the Braves are playing better ball.

Tough series for the Cubs losing a heart breaker on Tuesday, getting blown out tonight, and tomorrow they go up against Cliff Lee.

How about that Cubs fan throwing a beer on Victorino as he was making a catch?? Stupid move. If that had happened in Philly ESPN would ripping the Philly fans a new one.