Duke Jordan

Lazaro Vega

April 1st is the anniversary of his birth (passed in 2006). Have always had a soft spot for his playing.

Me too. Miles was full of shit in putting him down. His intros for Bird alone were worth their weight in gold, and he was actually further along musically in that band IMO. Nice touch, too, and beautiful listener. A lot of guys knew what they were doing hiring him. I also like his tunes, very direct and clear.

• 4 weeks later...

April 1st is the anniversary of his birth (passed in 2006). Have always had a soft spot for his playing.

Thanks for the clip. "No Problem" always takes me back to Les liaisons dangeruses, which I saw in Paris on its release. Also enjoyed listening to versions of "No Problem" on YouTube by the Jazz Messengers and by Chet Baker, though audio only.

• 1 month later...

I especially like everything that Duke Jordan did from about 1960 on, the BlueNote recordings as a leader and as a sideman, the Steeplechase stuff etc etc, his fine compositions, his thoughtful pianowork. He may not be my first choice if listening to piano, but he really had much beauty in his work.

Maybe, concerning his work with Parker, the piano lines don´t make me really happy. I can´t say exactly why, but somehow it sounds stiff, not the way Bud Powell would do it. Same about the comping, Tadd Dameron or John Lewis did better jobs on that. Well don´t misunderstand me, I´m referring only the the time of the 40´s . I was astonished when I heard some 60´s BlueNote Work and all the stuff that came later, since it seems Duke Jordan had improved very much.

About Miles: Well of course I also read what he said, but Miles is Miles, and who would expect kind words from him? Anyway, even during the time when they worked as a unit (Bird, Miles, Duke Jordan, Max, Tommy Potter), if Miles was successful in telling Bird to use another piano player, they did replace Jordan with other piano players I mentioned.