Herbie Nichols Mosaic

As some of you guys already know, I became good friends with an elderley gentleman the past year or so who happened to be a huge jazz fan. Recently he passed which brought great sadness. Since his passing his daughter has invited me to drop by and pick out some music from his collection. I dropped by yesterday and brought home half a dozen recordings or so. While I was there I commented on the Herbie Nichols Mosaic that was sitting on a shelf among other various box sets. I expressed an interest in it, although I was very upfront that it was probably worth some decent amount of money and I wouldn't consider just taking it for free. I just couldn't do that based on my frienship with her dad. I'd feel like a piece of crap. I guess what I'm asking is what would be an acceptable offer for the set? To be honest, I probably could spend alot less just purchasing the Blue Note 3 cd collection which seems to be running around the $40 mark. Is the Mosaic collection that much better? I imagine the music is probably the same. Your thoughts are appreciated.

As some of you guys already know, I became good friends with an elderley gentleman the past year or so who happened to be a huge jazz fan. Recently he passed which brought great sadness. Since his passing his daughter has invited me to drop by and pick out some music from his collection. I dropped by yesterday and brought home half a dozen recordings or so. While I was there I commented on the Herbie Nichols Mosaic that was sitting on a shelf among other various box sets. I expressed an interest in it, although I was very upfront that it was probably worth some decent amount of money and I wouldn't consider just taking it for free. I just couldn't do that based on my frienship with her dad. I'd feel like a piece of crap. I guess what I'm asking is what would be an acceptable offer for the set? To be honest, I probably could spend alot less just purchasing the Blue Note 3 cd collection which seems to be running around the $40 mark. Is the Mosaic collection that much better? I imagine the music is probably the same. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Just my opinion, but going by what I see on ebay for a Mosaic box set, $50.00 per disk would be bottom line.

Edited by Matthew

I think in this circumstance, where she is inclined for you to have the set because of your friendship, you can safely offer less than market value. Offer what you feel comfortable with. I would say that in your shoes I might offer between sixty and one hundred dollars. You wouldn't buy this otherwise I'd wager, you would get the Blue Note set for much less.

There is a difference in both the mastering of the set and the booklets. The sound between the two is not dramatically different, when I had both sets I preferred the sound of the piano on the Mosaic and the bass and drums had more "oomph" on the Blue Note. I kept the Mosaic because I preferred the booklet. Both booklets are very good, offering different takes on Nichols and the material, and both feature different photographs. The Blue Note set includes some fascinating photos of the musicians in the Van Gelder living room. Photos unlike usually seen.

Just my opinion, but going by what I see on ebay for a Mosaic box set, $50.00 per disk would be bottom line.

I hate to disagree, but I've bought quite a few Mosaic's on eBay, and I've never paid anywhere even close to $50 a disc, record or CD. Some do go that high, hence the "eBay Madness" thread, but it's just that, the madness of auctions, and not the actual value.

Sometimes I've gotten steals and other times I've had buyers remorse (Commodore's, I'm looking in your direction...) but I've found every set comes up more often than you'd think, and as long as you're willing to let it go, eventually you'll get it for a fair price.

I would say around $60 to $75 would be fair for the Herbie Nichols set.

Hi guys.I haven't quite figured what I'm going to do yet, although I do appreciate the input from all. I don't want to appear as some sort of pariah wanting to feed off her dad's music collection. Right now, I'll leave the ball in her court and let her decide if she wishes to part with the set or not? She knows I'm interested, that's enough for now. In the coming days/weeks if she asks for some sort of offer, I'll offer something along the lines suggested here. If she doesn't mention it, I'll let it go. If I hear anything, I'll let you guys know.