Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Talking about Okka, I assume everybody here (particularly Back Together... fans) already purchased Fred Anderson / Steve McCalls Vintage Duets?

No, not yet. I'm guessing you would recommend this disc?

Yes John, you are guessing correctly :rmad:

After some previous discussion on Fred Anderson, I dug up some CDs of his I have, and found this one to be absolutely stunning: Fred Anderson / Steve McCall - "Vintage Duets, 1980".

It seems to be the very first Okka release (1994), so there is a chance of it going OOP fast, and YOU wouldn't want to be without a copy.

As I mentioned, Fred Anderson's other duo with drummer (Steve MacCall) - Vintage Duets (on Okka) is fantastic...

I would still rate Vintage Duets (Okka) higher, though.

Hans, have you heard Vintage Duets? - Fred Anderson / Steve McCall duo recording on Okka - there MCCall is perfectly complimetary to Anderson's playing.

Of 5-6 Fred Anderson CDs I have, Vintage Duets is my favorite, by far.

I still much prefer Vintage Duets (Okka) to this one (AMG review). I would be interested in hearing your opinion on comparing these two (also given that they were recorded more than 20 years apart). Vintage Duets should be a pretty safe bet: if you like Back Together Again, I don't see why you would not like it...

Hans, what's your feeling on Vintage Duets vs. Back Together...?

As you might have noticed, I feel that while Back Together... is SINOW, Vintage Duets is far superior...

This is a great album:

Fred Anderson & Steve McCall - Vintage Duets - Okkadisk

:tup

Absolutely.

Please stop beating about the bush...how do you really feel about Vintage Duets?

:g

As Chaney said, consider it ordered.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now this stretches the funny rat concept quite a bit, but any of you that are getting into Hawk, get the Delmark disc "Rainbow Mist"! Some of his best playing there!

B000004BGK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This here is another terrific disc:

Hawkins: Hollywood Stampede (Capitol/EMI)

2298.jpg

It's OOP. Three dates with Howard McGhee, one with Miles.

This CD here repeates the three Maggie dates, but instead of the Miles date (which was done for Aladdin, not for Capitol, as the three Maggie ones), has some other tracks, as well as the solo that was on the latest (EKE BBB) blindfold test:

Hawkins: The Hollywood Sessions (Ocium)

B000062YM6.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

(I don't have it, btw)

ubu

This one's absolutely essential, of course (in spite of the 1950s recordings with strings), since it contains the classic 1939 recording of Body and Soul:

Body and Soul - RCA

c890841vvy0.jpg

Also essential:

Coleman Hawkins / Chu Berry - Tenor Giants - Commodore

B00003G1JF.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Essential Keynote Collection, Vol.6: The Complete Coleman Hawkins - 4CD, EmArcy

B00000472A.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Hollywood Stampede - Capitol

c46920031q5.jpg

Well, I don't have the one with Body & Soul - as I never started checking out pre-44 Hawkins, except for the Hawk/Berry disc (which is great).

The Keynote is an essential set, but it has been OOP for some time, I think, thus I didn't mention it. Grab it when you see it, and don't be afraid to use some $$ on it!

ubu

Well, I don't have the one with Body & Soul - as I never started checking out pre-44 Hawkins, except for the Hawk/Berry disc (which is great).

The Keynote is an essential set, but it has been OOP for some time, I think, thus I didn't mention it. Grab it when you see it, and don't be afraid to use some $$ on it!

ubu

I think you should get Body and Soul, it is THE classic Hawk recording! (By the way, it celebrates its 65th birthday on October 11)

Anyone with even the remotest interest in jazz tenor saxophone should have it, it's a milestone.

ubu

I think you should get Body and Soul, it is THE classic Hawk recording! (By the way, it celebrates its 65th birthday on October 11)

Anyone with even the remotest interest in jazz tenor saxophone should have it, it's a milestone.

Hans, is this disc good enough to get, even if might go the Chronological Classics way some day?

ubu

Hans, is this disc good enough to get, even if might go the Chronological Classics way some day?

I think it is. The recordings were remastered from the original metal parts and mastertapes at the RCA Studios. It contains 19 tracks: 4 recordings (including Body and Soul) from 1939, 4 from 1940, 2 from 1946, 4 from 1947, and 5 (2 with strings) from 1956. The usual disclaimers apply, of course :)

It's available from CD Universe ($9.99) and CDConnection - and others, of course.

Edited by J.A.W.

I think it is. The recordings were remastered from the original metal parts and mastertapes at the RCA Studios. It contains 19 tracks: 4 recordings (including Body and Soul) from 1939, 4 from 1940, 2 from 1946, 4 from 1947, and 5 (2 with strings) from 1956. The usual disclaimers apply, of course :)

It's available from CD Universe ($9.99) and CDConnection - and others, of course.

Thanks Hans! :tup

I shall add that to some order some day. Got to make note!

ubu

Is anyone here familiar with this one:

f77814sr04m.jpg

I've had my eye on it for a while, but I'm not sure it would be one of the better places to start exploring Hawk.

It's one of the better late-period Hawk albums. For what it's worth, the Penguin Guide (6th ed.) gives it 4 stars, AMG four and a half.

Edited by J.A.W.

but first get Ellington/Hawkins on Impulse!

ubu  ;)

I'll go explore the Hawk thread in a minute. I think BMG has the Hawk / Ellington disc in stock, and I have a few free discs to redeem....hmmmmnnnn....

Hawk / Ellington has now been ordered, along with Sonny Rollins - Newk's Time, both for free. :tup

Edited by John B

I just received another package from Dennis Gonzalez last night. Right now I am listening to Herido, a disc recorded live in Chicago in 1999.

herido.jpg

This one prominently features the spoken word of Yusef Komunyakaa, which will probably not be to everyone's tastes, but I am really digging the laid back vibe of thsi recording. One Final Note has a nice review of this one:

"Dennis Gonzalez / Yusef Komunyakaa

Herido : Live At St. James Cathedral

(8th Harmonic Breakdown)

by Frank Rubolino

January 2002

It takes a special kind of talent to combine successfully the nearly mutually exclusive art forms of jazz and poetry. Dennis Gonzalez and Yusef Komunyakaa have accomplished this difficult amalgamation with a bluesy, down-home presentation that features the ever-enchanting music of Gonzalez melded with the lush, resonant voice of Komunyakaa. Gonzalez wrote just about all the music for this live performance in Chicago, and it has his noted brand emphatically stamped all over it—melodic themes, rhythmic pulsation, intricate improvisations, unique instrumentation—all that we have come to recognize in his music is present here. Gonzalez very effectively adds a few modern twists with his display of sampled material, keyboard variations, and walkie-talkie inserts, which all co-exist naturally with his multiple brass instrumentation.

With this motivating undercurrent, Komunyakaa is able to command strict attention as he expresses himself in a most regal way. He has a deep, penetrating voice that reeks with richness. His poetry speaks of life's experiences, some of it ordinary and some of it special but much of it centered in the South and portraying a rustic Southern lifestyle. The stories come alive as he eloquently relates these very personal moments with vivid imagery. Komunyakaa has a way of expressing himself that makes a lasting impression. His verse often has a profound impact, such as when he states the obvious but often forgotten truism 'Elvis stole from R&B' within his storytelling of rural life on "Gristmill". With each succeeding tale, the mental pictures unfold, and one's mind simultaneously absorbs the stimulating music that becomes inseparable from the words.

Sugar Blue masterfully creates the Southern scene through his weeping, sadness-laden harmonica. Mark Deutsch adds an element from another culture as he embraces Komunyakaa's words through his soulful sitar. The use of these two diverse instruments works wonders in the mood-establishing department, taking one back in time on a journey down dusty roads at sundown where troubles were meant to be temporarily vanquished through the joy of the music. Gonzalez mixes in his soulful and yearning trumpet pleas, giving Komunyakaa a perfect soundstage from which to emote. Throw in the sensitive and accent-filled percussion work of Susie Ibarra, and you have a musical formula that works to perfection to complement the meaningful words.

Several of the selections are all-instrumental ventures, providing a platform for Gonzalez and the band to delve into his stimulating compositions. "Hymn for Tim Green" has an infectious beat that gets into one's blood while allowing the musicians to expound with improvisations to match the rhythmic pulsation. There are many moments when the band stretches out on its own, but when the lustrous voice of Komunyakaa reenters, the picture somehow becomes complete. The storyline of Komunyakaa is telling, and the emotion-drenched music of Gonzalez and its treatment by the band merges naturally with Komunyakaa's deep baritone voice. The ingredients are just right for making their marriage of poetry and jazz a viable union. "

ubu  ;)

I'll go explore the Hawk thread in a minute. I think BMG has the Hawk / Ellington disc in stock, and I have a few free discs to redeem....hmmmmnnnn....

Hawk / Ellington has now been ordered, along with Sonny Rollins - Newk's Time, both for free. :tup

Have fun! The Ellington/Hawkins is a MAGNIFICIENT album! Check the latin tunes first! Tremendous grooves, and great solos by all (Hawk, Hodges, Brown...)

ubu

ubu  ;)

Have fun! The Ellington/Hawkins is a MAGNIFICIENT album! Check the latin tunes first! Tremendous grooves, and great solos by all (Hawk, Hodges, Brown...)

ubu

....Ray Nance. :tup

Might be of interest for those who receive the Austrian radio station Ö1:

23:05

Zeit-Ton

electronics/electroacoustics - Ausgewähltes und Kontroverses aus dem internationalen Wettbewerb elektroakustischer Musik, der unter dem Namen "irem" in Rom stattfand (2). Gestaltung: Christian Scheib

http://oe1.orf.at/programm/

http://www.radioart.sk/hyspace/radiopage.php?id=134