Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Tony, I appreciate your bold linguistic innovations and I am flattered for having had a chance to inpsire you, but what about Gebbia's "H Portraits"? I assume you are the only person on this thread (on this board??????) in possession of this CD, and that you haven't shared your thoughts on it with us (and all board waiting in unticipation!) is at least irresponsible.

Edited by Д.Д.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi John.

I recieved the Jack Rose CD today.

Thanks a whole lot.

I actually havn't sent the Sergey Kuryokhin just yet.

First my computer died on me, second I've had a few essays due at university, thirdly I've been out of cash too!

But I do promise to send you it, I have the CD purchased, so I apologise for being a bit late.

I'll hopefully post it very soon.

Hi John.

I recieved the Jack Rose CD today.

Thanks a whole lot.

I actually havn't sent the Sergey Kuryokhin just yet.

First my computer died on me, second I've had a few essays due at university, thirdly I've been out of cash too!

But I do promise to send you it, I have the CD purchased, so I apologise for being a bit late.

I'll hopefully post it very soon.

that was pretty quick! Eight days to Australia seems pretty good. Let me know when you have a chance to mail SOme Combination... I'm really looking forward to hearing it.

I think I will try some nperign CDs. The little Bhob Rainey that I've heard left very positive impression, but Greg Kelley I don't know (although I should have his Trumpet somehwere...unsealed).

The only Greg Kelley I have heard is this one:

f43269hlibb.jpg

which is a "duet" with Jason Lescaleet on Erstwhile. Not my favorite Erst, but an enjoyable album.

I have never heard nmperign, but would like to in the near future. I was considering starting with the album they did with Gunter Muller, as I have really enjoyed most of the albums I have heard with him on them.

This one should be available at Clean Feed in a couple of weeks:

020.jpg

Can't be too bad  ;)

This one arrived in the mail two days ago. After one listen I can assure you that is an excellent recording! I still need time to give it a few listens but, so far, I am very impressed.

:tup

Got it a few days ago, and I second your recommendation.

I listened to Günter Müller / Lê Quan Ninh's La Voyelle Liquide again, and I think I'm going to sell it. I'll play it one more time, but I don't think I'll get used to this kind of improv.

Edited by J.A.W.

I have been much less than overwhelmed by Jagga Jazzist. Nice stuff for sure, but save for some tracks, it doesn't really get out of the whole trip-hop lounge thing I find. The overall sound they create lies too close to what groups like Boards of Canada or Jazzanova produce. I have grown weary of that kind of music after delving into it quite a bit for some time. The only stuff I still find myself returning to is those old Funki Porcini albums, which really are a blast and show much more balls and wicked fun than many a free jazz icon has produced, and Amon Tobin, who succeeded in creating a very dark sound world that is rather unique if also a bit dated (I found on last listen). Maybe it's time to dig the other crap out as well and give it an honest fresh listening again.

Supersilent sounds a bit more promising but also has this often rather boring lounge quality that I find has become rather tiresome as well.

Just another opinion.

I can definitely understand your opinion on these. Different strokes, etc...

Right now I am more impressed by Supersilent, but it is much easier for me to listen to Jaga at home without getting any complaints. Supersilent falls into the EAI category of only listen on headphones at home or at work.

I listened to Günter Müller / Lê Quan Ninh's La Voyelle Liquide again, and I think I'm going to sell it. I'll play it one more time, but I don't think I'll get used to this kind of improv.

hang onto it for a few weeks if you are going to sell it. It is just about to go OOP and, who knows, you might get a better price for it on ebay once Erstwhile officially lists it as unavailable.

in other news, Dennis Gonzalez mentioned that his next album, Nile River Suite, with Henry Grimes, Roy Campbell, Jr., Mike Thompson on drums and Sabir Mateen is on schedule to be released the first week in June.

Right now I am more impressed by Supersilent, but it is much easier for me to listen to Jaga at home without getting any complaints.

ah yes, now THERE is an important criterium... ^_^

same here, little "Funny Rat" thread type of material is played when I'm not home alone.

Edited by couw

Guest Chaney

You're not allowed to dispose of any disk without first having listened to it three times.

:ph34r:

Seriously, I'd do as John suggests and put it aside for a future sale -- AFTER you've listened to it two more times. :rlol

Listened to this one the first time today:

zentral4_zentral4.jpg

Conrad Bauer, Trombone

Ulrich Gumpert, Piano

Ernst-Ludwig Petrowsky, Alto Saxophone, Clarinet, Flute

Günter Sommer, Drums, Percussion

Cover Art: Peter Frey

Liner Notes: Bert Noglik

Recorded 1990,

Published 2001 by Intakt Records

Intakt CD 069

About the Zentralquartet recording made in 1990 ? it¹s music played in a highly charged period. The old GDR no longer existed, and the unification didn¹t yet. And also, even if the music of the Zentralquartet did not depict a mirror image of sensitivity, these recordings manifest it clearly: breakneck speed and introspection, exhaling and reflection. Produced and recorded in 1990, this CD hardly turned up in East Germany and in any shop anywhere. At that time, everything was thrown into chaos. Having disappeared from the scene, this album was considered an insider¹s secret. In order to make this CD available again, Intakt Records researched and consequently obtained the rights to this recording, which has the significance of a musical manifesto.

(http://www.intaktrec.ch/zentralquartett.htm)

:tup:tup:tup

Very impressed! The music is full of joy, of abandon (sometimes reminded me of south african jazz in that aspect). Anyone here knows it?

ubu

I know that this has been taked of before but I only received last week Taylor's Willisau CD ( after a long delay)

How represenatative is this of his work, because it's stunningly beautiful ,much more melodious than I expected. Sound quality is superb.

Listened to this one the first time today:

zentral4_zentral4.jpg

Conrad Bauer, Trombone

Ulrich Gumpert, Piano

Ernst-Ludwig Petrowsky, Alto Saxophone, Clarinet, Flute

Günter Sommer, Drums, Percussion

that's some line up! damn you Ubu, you cost too much money :rmad:

Has anyone heard anything lately as to the defective Brötzmann et al: Tales Out of Time on Hat? Is it safe to find and order this one?

I've just received my replacement copy from hat's European distributor (haven't listened to it yet).

Saturday May 22nd, Ö1 will broadcast live recordings of Brötzmann, Vandermark and Gustafsson, starting 11.05 pm.

Recorded live at "Porgy & Bess" in Vienna, October 18, 2003.

Not sure how long the broadcast will be, not sure what band it was, or what bands, but most probably some Brötz tentet thing, I guess.

Hope I will be able to record it, cannot guarantee anything, though.

ubu

Just found out more: it seems the concert took place october 16th, and they played just the three of them - Brötzmann (ts,cl,tarogato), Gustafsson (bari, flutophone, french flageolet), Vandermark (ts,cl,bcl). Entrance was... FREE!!!

(This information comes from here, the website of the "Porgy & Bess".)

I've got the broadcast! Around 45 minutes of GREAT stuff!

Drop me a note if you feel like... don't forget your address ;)

... and be patient, I forgot to add. (I have to transfer it from MD to CDR first, and won't be able to this before later this week, or maybe next week)

ubu

I listened to some Myra Melford for the first time in a while this weekend. I started with Eleven Ghosts, which is all duets with Han Bennink. This disc ranges from very free playing to stride and boogie-woogie. At first it seemed as if Melford and Bennink weren't listening to each other, and I was a bit put off, but things quickly came together and I was very impressed by the disc. Much moreso than the last time I gave it a spin.

Following that I pulled out Alive in the House of Saints, which is an essential disc for anyone reading this far into the Funny Rat thread. As with most Hats these discs are immaculately recorded and the playing is top-notch. The 2cd set is well worth picking up for the added four tracks.

I will need to order some more of Melford's music soon. Her most recent disc on Hat sounds very tempting to me.

Also, when we come back from vacation in June and start buying cds again (after more than a month of buying nothing), I will finally be ordering the cd that started all of this. Yes, I will finally own Funny Rat.

Edited by John B

I listened to some Myra Melford for the first time in a while this weekend. I started with Eleven Ghosts, which is all duets with Han Bennink. This disc ranges from very free playing to stride and boogie-woogie. At first it seemed as if Melford and Bennink weren't listening to each other, and I was a bit put off, but things quickly came together and I was very impressed by the disc. Much moreso than the last time I gave it a spin.

Also, when we come back from vacation in June and start buying cds again (after more than a month of buying nothing), I will finally be ordering the cd that started all of this. Yes, I will finally own Funny Rat.

I agree on melford/Bennink disc - excellent work (and I also was lessthan excitied about it in the beginnig, but it has grown on me).

I've recently made an attempt to buy Funny Rat from Erstwhile, but they sent me some other CD instead (solo Shoji Hano, actually - haven't listened to it yet). I understand and accept the subtle sub-message: getting Funny Rat is not as easy as it might seam...

I'll be persistant - I will try again. Let's see what I will recieve this time.