Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Adrian, I think the release history of the Nefertiti stuff is pretty complicated!

No double album, I think, but rather two albums ("Trance" being another title used by Black Lion), in various incarnations on various labels. The Revenant reissue however seems to be the best sounding (and it's still pretty bad, but the music's glorious!), and most complete, to date.

ubu

PS: let me aks one more question: not having a digital output on my MD (only digital input), I would have to look for the UA1A. Then my question: do I need anything else (as for instance a sound card, which is something I don't have)?

And could that UA1A also be used then, to transfer any analogue source (radio, tape) onto my computer? And does the UA1A also use the USB?

Meanwhile, I had some very nice "new listens" recently.

Dennis Gonzalez New Southern Quintet "Old Time Revival". Excellent "classical free jazz". Original compositions. Great soliong from Gonzales on trumpet (very intereesting ideas), and others (two very strong reeds players - forgot the names, of course) and mighty Malachi Favors in inspired form (unlike on the recent AEC's "Meeting") and clever Alan FIelder on drums (I am sure I heard him somewhere else - his drumming is alos quit unique).

I just received this one in the mail from Dennis last night. What a great disc! I would very highly recomend this. Great playing by all involved (the reeds players are Andrew Lamb and Tim Green) and a very nice opportunity to hear some more great work by Malachi Favors.

The liner notes mention a project called "New DallasOrleansSippi," featuring Dennis with Kidd Jordan, Charles Brackeen, Malachi Favors and Alvin Fielder. Is anyone familiar with this group and did they record? AMG is not helping here.

edit - OK, the album is called DEBENGE DEBENGE on Silkheart. I'll need to track down a copy of this one.

Edited by John B

by the way, I was just browsing Dennis' website and noticed that his 1981 album Music from Ancient Texts (as well as five other albums in the 80's) features a sax player named "Jim Sangrey" on tenor and soprano. I wonder whetever became of him? ;)

Edited by John B

Flurin

The UA1A would allow analogue input to it from any source, most conveniently you'd use the "tape out" from your amp, this would allow the UA1A to monitor any input device tuner, turntable, MD, VHS etc. I'm sure you could connect the output of any source direct to the UA1A if you wished.

Here the UA1A would act as a A/D converter taking the analogue signal and feeding the PC with a digital signal. I went for the UA1D because it allows the signal path from MD to CD to remain digital all the way. ( avoiding D to A and then A to D conversion steps).

One other point of note re the UA1D is that if the source is digitally protected ( ie a MD clone) then the signal will not pass. So if you had made a MD compilation (ie 2nd generation digi copy) by copying digitally from a source MD then you would have problems. Hope that's clear ?? :blink::blink:

I've not needed to try this . I have some broadcasts recorded which originally spanned two MDs . By compiling these onto one MD by the digital route I would have problems try to use the UA1D. :huh::huh:

The liner notes mention a project called "New DallasOrleansSippi," featuring Dennis with Kidd Jordan, Charles Brackeen, Malachi Favors and Alvin Fielder. Is anyone familiar with this group and did they record? AMG is not helping here.

edit - OK, the album is called DEBENGE DEBENGE on Silkheart. I'll need to track down a copy of this one.

Some time ago I asked Dennis for recommendation for his Silkheart albums (since I don't have any) - he named all but this one, not elaborating why.

I will probably get it regardless, since itlooks like I am becoming a Kidd Jordan completist...

Has anybody else got that new AMM disc, "At the Roundhouse"? It's the Gare-Prevost duo performing in '72 at the International Carnival of Experimental Sound. Great stuff; I don't have the Matchless LP, so this is my first exposure to the duo incarnation of the group. I know it's not supposed to be a 'free jazz' record, but tenor/drums duos are such loaded things... anyway, pretty sweet.

Back to things Funny Rat ,......................just received

Nefertiti, the Beautiful One Has Come, quite exciting stuff

was this originally a double album or was some of this not on the original issue?

The Cafe Montmartre sessions were originally released on Danish Debut LPs.

First one was 'Live at the Cafe Montmartre'.

Second was 'Nefertiti, The Beautiful One Has Come'. This one had a Marte Roling cover which was 'adapted' from one of a series of Cecil Taylor photos I took back in 1965 (old story!).

The full session was reissued on a double LP by Arista in 1975. The double LP was also issued under the title 'Nefertiti, The Beautiful One Has Come'.

The content of the two LPs have appeared on a number of CD issues (on the Freedom and Black Lion labels).

The Revenant CD has two additional alternates of 'D Trad That's What' and 'Call' that have not been issued before.

OK, the album is called DEBENGE DEBENGE on Silkheart. I'll need to track down a copy of this one.

This is a nice album, with Marlon Jordan, of early 90's neo-bop fame, on board (on trumpet) with his father, which makes for a sometimes strange listening experience, as his dad of course is likely neither "neo" or "bop." It's been some time since I listened to this, and will have to now get it out. I remember liking it quite a bit, even if it was puzzling at times.

OK, I got the Back Together Again as well - will listen and add some controversy here.

Listened to 3 tracks so far. It's good, but not poutstanding IMO.

I do not feel that Drake overpowers Anderson here, but the partnership does not sound particularly successful for me - Drake tends to lock into somewhat obtrusive grooves (if nice ones), that confine Anderson a bit, IMO. Anderson is essentially a "conversational" type of musician (a bit like Lee konitz, he-he), and I think he requires a bit more flexible drumming in duo setting.

Anderson is very very good, but..well...hmm... the man is basically the same on every record over the last 10 years. I already have 5-6-7 of his CDs, and after this one I don't really feel I im that interested in exploring his work any further (probably his earlier stuff?). I know, this is not what I said before...

After first incomplete listen (and I am sure I will return to this record again), I still much prefer Vintage Duets (Okka) to this one (AMG review). I would be interested in hearing your opinion on comparing these two (also given that they were recorded more than 20 years apart). Vintage Duets should be a pretty safe bet: if you like Back Together Again, I don't see why you would not like it...

Edited by Д.Д.

Has anybody else got that new AMM disc, "At the Roundhouse"?

Just as Matthew, I haven't heard anything from AMM's (and associated groups) ouevre.- I guess I'll go with Nate's

I've found that Newfoundland (Matchless) is an excellent place to start, or The Inexhaustible Document perhaps

After first incomplete listen (and I am sure I will return to this record again), I still much prefer Vintage Duets (Okka) to this one (AMG review). I would be interested in hearing your opinion on comparing these two (also given that they were recorded more than 20 years apart). Vintage Duets should be a pretty safe bet: if you like Back Together Again, I don't see why you would not like it...

Back together / Fred Anderson discussion thread

I've had Akisakila since it was first issued and like it a lot. I still have the lps but prefer the mix/eq on the AJM cd set. The big warning is the timing/bucks ratio - 82 minutes at Japanese import prices can be daunting.

How do Konnix mid-90s Akisakala CDs compare to Japanese editions sound-wise?

P.L.M., have you heard Francis Wong (AMG entry)? A very strong post-Coltrane/Sanders/Ayler tenorist, good composer (incorporates elements of Chinese folk music).

Not yet, but I'm waiting for some JON JANG albums where FRANCIS WONG is feature.

I'm going to explore soon this asian/american connexion.

Edited by P.L.M

Never really got with Tsahar, really--the one concert I saw was close to appalling--but Malaby's good, as is Perelman, though in very different ways! -- Well, assuming he stays on good terms with Bob Rusch, we can expect a lot more of Mr Finn, since Rusch tends to be very generous with studio time for the musicians he's excited about.  What I'll be interested to see is how big Fiin's bag is.  Steve Smith, by the way, has heard a prerelease version of one of Finn's next discs (I think it's to come out on Clean Feed) & commends it highly.

TSAHAR, when arriving on the scene plays with lot of free jazz "clichés."

I've seen him play with some friends in the North of France and he sounded terrible.

And was terribly lost confronted to people who was improvising freely with no reference to jazz or even fre jazz.

But he has slowly improved.

After that, I've catch him something like two years ago playing with the late PETER KOWALD and HAMID DRAKE.

It was evident that the guy was a better player since when I heard him the first time even if the rythm section overwhelm him time to time.

I bought at this concert (from him) DEALS, IDEAS & IDEALS with KOWALD and RASHIED ALI. TSAHAR is very much okay on it.

I bought also HOME COOKIN' who is pretty fair. But it's the drumming of SUZIE IBARRA who is the real deal on this one.

I've seen him for the third time, in November, last year, with COOPER-MOORE for a splendid duo.

Seems the guy has change for the best musicaly and as human being.

He plays well and seems to had go away from his dated free jazz licks.

And he was also quite charming as a person (what he wasn't when I meet him the previous time.)

I'm looking for his record with COOPER-MOORE (who is both, a great guy and a fine musician and incredibly talkative) who, I hope, will be at the same level than the concert.

Give him another shoot, Nate, you'll never know.

As Malaby is concern. The guy is ok.

But I like him better on other peoples records that on his own.

The best thing he has done so far, for me, it's his playing on MARK HELIAS' OPEN LOOSE: NEW SCHOOL.

I'm waiting for the other FINN impatiently.

But THREE records in the same setting with nearly the same musicians?

Edited by P.L.M

Yeah I know what you mean about Malaby: Adobe is 2/3rds of a great record. So not quiiiite there yet, though it's certainly worth hearing; Malaby often sounds better on other people's discs because he's not the world's best composer. Have you heard Disambiguation with Malaby, Karayorgis, M Maneri, &c? A nice disc.

I remain pretty underwhelmed by Back Together Again, though there's about 3 tracks I like (the first two in particular). Tracks like "Louisiana Strut" just are dead in the water--some hot drumming but it never goes anywhere.

Bull Fiddle is OK but somehow never really grabbed me. Review as follows.

Kent Kessler has been the bassist of choice for countless recordings by Chicago-based free players such as Ken Vandermark; it’s only fitting that he at last get the spotlight to himself on the solo disc Bull Fiddle. It is an unfussy and honest document, sober and modest in demeanour. The album is perhaps best in its shortest and most cogent tracks. “Monon Line,” the lead-off track, is a highlight of the disc, a lyrical and disciplined elaboration of a brief, blues-inflected melodic cell. Three brief duets with percussionist Michael Zerang (on dumbek) are quite lively, and usefully vary the album’s pace. There are three longer (five-minute) tracks, “Sugar Creek,” “Out of Iowa” and “Pikeville Girl,” which all mine a kindred vein of plainspoken, melancholy balladry; the results are attractive in small doses but rather too much of a piece over the long run. The same might be said for the one extended track, the arco feature “Central Wisconsin Double Wide,” which is busy but almost static in texture.

Though Bull Fiddle isn’t a major musical document – Kessler tends to sound best in a group situation, and in the field of solo bass improv this CD’s a middleweight – it’s nonetheless a welcome opportunity to study his playing in close quarters, in all of its sinewy honesty. Worth sampling.

New Mattew Shipp / WIlliam Parker / Guillermo Brown release The Trio Plays Ware on Splasc(H): http://www.splaschrecords.com/news.cgi?=NEWRELEASES

I'll most likely skip it... I am much more interested in the new one by Stefano Maltese Music Orchestra "Hanging in the Sky" - the band sounds impressive :Maltese, Colombo, Actis Dato, Minafra, Bonvini, Tramontana, Joseph, Fazio, Moncada, Cilio...

Also an upcoming intriguing release on 577 Records: Daniel Carter / Steve Swell / Federiko Ughi: http://www.577records.com/577.html

I was very impressed by gentle Carter / Ughi duo record (Astonishment, also on 577 Records) - would be interesting to see what Swell would contribute...

P.L.M., have you heard Francis Wong (AMG entry)? A very strong post-Coltrane/Sanders/Ayler tenorist, good composer (incorporates elements of Chinese folk music).

Not yet, but I'm waiting for some JON JANG albums where FRANCIS WONG is feature.

I'm going to explore soon this asian/american connexion.

I hope you are not starting with Jang's Immigrant Suite 1. - Island (Soul Note) - I found this poetry/jazz thing absolutely unlistenable...

As for Francis Wong, I would highly recommend his Great Wall (Asian Improv) - very high quality "spiritual" post-bop (Sanders, Noah Howard, Charles Tyler... probably Billy Harper (but better, IMO)) with very interesting incorporation of Chinese elements... Also a nice reading of I Want to Talk About You, which is one of my favorite standard ballads. Excellent band - bassist and pianist particularly... Hey, I looked at the disc - pianist is actually Jon Jang himself! Jang is doing a bit of Chinese Pullen thing here :)

The other Wong I have is called Pilgrimage (Music & Arts), and it is pretty weak, IMO - more "out" and experimental probably, but boring.

As for Jang - I like his playing most on mesmerizing Beijing Trio (Asian Improv) - with Mr. Max Roach (!) and Jiebing Chen (erhu - Chinese violin/viola-like thing).

Edited by Д.Д.