Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Does anybody know or can describe the trio record Tern w/ Louis Moholo and Keith Tippet on FMP? thx

This is a phenomenal record. Larry Stabbins was a major revelation for me (influences of Steve Lacy and Evan Parker are there, but overall a original and powerful voice). Tippett and Moholo are in top form and really gel well with each other, and the music is very diverse (from some subtle melodic playing to really intense blowing).

Emanem released a solo saxophone disc, Monadic from Larry Stabbins last year. I liked it a lot.

(I wrote a capsule review of the disk, which you can read here.)

E4093.jpeg

Edited by alankin

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Currently replaying recent BBC broadcasts of Brotzmann trio ( studio sessions broadcast June 03 and April 04) and Evan Parker Trio 60th birthday USA tour (Seattle). Both very interesting, probably prefer Brotzman's session as it's closer to "the tradition" than Parker's. Both need further study.

Saturday off to see the incredible Fredrik Nordstrom quintet, should be a blast. He's a very fine player IMO.

Currently replaying recent BBC broadcasts of Brotzmann trio ( studio sessions broadcast June 03 and April 04) and Evan Parker Trio 60th birthday USA tour (Seattle). Both very interesting, probably prefer Brotzman's session as it's closer to "the tradition" than Parker's. Both need further study.

Saturday off to see the incredible Fredrik Nordstrom quintet, should be a blast. He's a very fine player IMO.

I really enjoyed these broadcasts & they were the inspiration for me to hunt around this thread looking for recommendations.

(The Cecil Taylor - Willssau Concerts CD arrived today).

Currently replaying

(The Cecil Taylor - Willssau Concerts CD arrived today).

Gary where did you source Willisau from, i'm having difficulty finding it at anything other than at stupid prices (£15plus)

€18 (£12) from amazon.de (and less through market sellers): http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000...5460409-9124811

I am sure you can find it cheaper in US on-line stroes...

Currently replaying recent BBC broadcasts of Brotzmann trio (studio sessions broadcast June 03 and April 04) and Evan Parker Trio 60th birthday USA tour (Seattle). Both very interesting, probably prefer Brotzman's session as it's closer to "the tradition" than Parker's. Both need further study.

Clunky, could you post a direct link to broadcasts - I am tired of searching the BBC website...

Feel free to ask for anything!

do you have access to the swiss gold reserves... ???

;)

set the guy up Clunky, he has a nice set of trades; I'm suprised every time and again. I'll work on making his trade set even larger and get those radio broadcasts in the process! :excited:;)

Just listend to Scott Rosenberg's Red "Owe" (Cadence, 2001) - very nice "classical free jazz" (temor-cornet-bass-drums quartet) record. Stylistically somewhat close to excellent Sven-Ake Johansson's "Six Little Pieces for Quintet" (hatOLOGY). Good heads, excellent solos (I understand that this was some sort of back-to-the-roots experiment for Rosenberg - he is more into somewhat more experimental stuff (that I haven't heard)). A pleasure to listen to. AMG review

Feel free to ask for anything!

do you have access to the swiss gold reserves... ???

;)

set the guy up Clunky, he has a nice set of trades; I'm suprised every time and again. I'll work on making his trade set even larger and get those radio broadcasts in the process! :excited:;)

The big problem is (I just wrote that to Adrian, too, btw):

1) my MD-Player is having problems, getting a new one is expensive etc...

2) once I have a new one, I have to figure out how to transfer MDs to CDr (I have some Brotz, too, and Chaney, D.D. and whoever interested will get it as soon as I have it on CDr!) (and John, remember I'm dumbest of all computer users ;) )

all off-topic, sorry!

ubu

and obviously no gold reserves :( Otherwise I would have girls and cars and everything, and wouldn't bother to talk to you all here :g

I have to figure out how to transfer MDs to CDr

I use an Edirol UA1D USB lead , takes optical and digital co-ax outputs from my MD deck. plugs into my laptop and voila, real time only record to HD and subsequent track division and CDR.

This lead cost around £60 if I recall and it's been well worth it

Edited by Clunky

I have to figure out how to transfer MDs to CDr

I use an Edirol UA1D USB lead , takes optical and digital co-ax outputs from my MD deck. plugs into my lap to and voila, real time only record to HD and subsequent track division and CDR.

This lead cost around £60 if I recall and it's been well worth it

That sounds pretty simple, indeed! And that Edirol thing can be bought in any computer shop?

ubu