Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Strange thing is, I like bowed bass much better in free / improv than in straight jazz. For instance, I can't stand Paul Chambers' bowed bass, which is almost always out of tune.

Well, Chambers' playing is not a good benchmark for "straight jazz" bowing (since it's pretty poor) - Richard Davis is the man. David Izenson also.

As for After Appleby, I think it's fantastic (and I am not a Crispell fan).

Regarding Kowald's growling on Was Das Ist: yeah, it is of limited aesthetic value (for me, at least), but hey, there is so much fantastic music on this disc that these few moments are easily forgivable. I would also highly recommend Kowald's Duos (volumes I and II, on FMP as well) that show not only what aterrific bassist he was, but also what an amazing supportive musical partner he could be.

Strange thing is, I like bowed bass much better in free / improv than in straight jazz. For instance, I can't stand Paul Chambers' bowed bass, which is almost always out of tune.

Well, Chambers' playing is not a good benchmark for "straight jazz" bowing (since it's pretty poor) - Richard Davis is the man. David Izenson also.

If memory serves, Doug Watkins also played rather good bowed bass. Anyway, he was a terrific (straight) bass player.

Regarding Kowald's growling on Was Das Ist: yeah, it is of limited aesthetic value (for me, at least), but hey, there is so much fantastic music on this disc that these few moments are easily forgivable. I would also highly recommend Kowald's Duos (volumes I and II, on FMP as well) that show not only what aterrific bassist he was, but also what an amazing supportive musical partner he could be.

Thanks for the recommendation, but Was Da Ist is quite enough bass for me, at least for now...

I'm not particularly fond of Guillermo Gregorio's albums, but this one's not bad:

e60972xkjzt.jpg.

Mat Maneri is great, but I could do without Pandelis Karayorgis' piano in some parts, where it sounds strangely out of place.

Edited by J.A.W.

Not a complete success in my opinion, but an interesting album nevertheless: Frank Gratkowski Quartet "Spectral Reflections"

I like this one a lot! I actually think it's one of the best releases of 2003. I haven't heard any other works by Gratkowski, so I'll be definitely searching for more.

Edited by Д.Д.

Not a complete success in my opinion, but an interesting album nevertheless: Frank Gratkowski Quartet "Spectral Reflections"

I like this one a lot! I actually think it's one of the best releases of 2003. I haven't heard any other works by Gratkowski, so I'll be definitely searching for more.

I'm having reservations about the "breathing" effects in the first and last tracks, but otherwise it's a great disc.

I've just been listening to this one again:

B00004TKWY.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

and I have to revise my opinion. I find Stangl's guitar work far less obtrusive than when I first played the disc, and the rest - with the exception of the last track with that horrible Tony Coe vocal - is very good.

I haven't heard any other works by Gratkowski, so I'll be definitely searching for more.

Here's one, at least he's on it: Georg Gräwe Quartet - Melodie und Rhythmus - Okkadisk

e40419gigot.jpg

with Gratkowski on reeds, Gräwe at the piano, Kent Kessler on bass, and Hamid Drake on percussion. I'm listening to it now, and so far it's :tup

And hey, regarding 512.jpg - I knew this thread has some internal logics to it: it takes 700+ posts to convince one person to buy Funny Rat CD - so I guess I will be ready to buy one after 1400 posts - and ubu, with his youthful exuberance, will be able to resist till the post #2100. And John B has got his Funny Rat already, hasn't he?

:g:g:g

Hans, I'm with you on Sankt Gerold! A great record!

I did find the Ellington on the Air used. Most certainly OOP today. Nervous it is, and that eighties vibe is one that somehow also sticks to the Sclavis-Texier-Romano outfit, soundwise, but somehow with musicians of these calibre involved, I don't seem to care (and I sure would with others...).

Izenzon and Richard Davis!! HELLYEAH, two of my favourite bass players.

ubu

I really love this one, wonderful interplay between the three :tup

B00005A7CY.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Well there are not too many bad Gary Peacock records in general (outside of Keith Jarrett's trio). I cannot thing of any out of the top of my head.

Listen, Hans: did you manage listen to all of this stuff today, or you were praparing for this posting attack over the last month?!?!?

In any case, keep'em coming, of course.

As for me, I listened to just two CDs today - "Sensual World" by Kate Bush, and "Master of Puppets" by Metallica.

Recommend both highly, of course.

Well there are not too many bad Gary Peacock records in general (outside of Keith Jarrett's trio). I cannot thing of any out of the top of my head.

I wish Blue Note would reissue Clare Fischer's wonderful Pacific Jazz trio album First Time Out, with Peacock.

Finally,  :tup

:g

Indeed!

I ordered Dare Devil ages ago from The Music Resource but of course they stiffed me. Finally picked it up on eBay for $10 - inclusive of shipping.

Would have loved to have put the money into the pocket of Brotz and Hano but... :(

Also ordered on February 21, 2004 the following "In Stock" - "Ships In 24 Hours" OOP Eremite titles from The Music Resource:

GREGG BENDIAN INTERZONE Compact Discs $11.25 1 Incomplete

ASSIF TSAHAR SHEKHINA Compact Discs $11.25 1 Incomplete

TOM BRUNO GETTING AWAY WITH MURDER Compact Discs $11.25 1 Incomplete

MALCOLM GOLDSTEIN LIVE AT FIRE IN THE VALLEY Compact Discs $12.75 1 Invoiced

Waiting patiently... :rolleyes:

Let us know what you think of Daredevil. I really enjoyed that disc.

The Music Resource might be able to get the Greg Bendian disc but they are going to stiff you on the rest. I'm talking from recent experience. ;) I do know of another source for these oop Eremites, so I'll send you a PM.

I can't wait to hear that upcoming Brotzmann on Hat with Joe McPhee.

I recently picked up a few more goodies: Evan Parker solo soprano: The Snake Decides, which is great. I still think I enjoy Monoceros more, but they are both fantastic discs. I also finally got around to buying the live Exploding Customer disc on Ayler. I've been looking forward to hearing that one for a while.

On Wednesday night we are going to see BassDrumBone live (Ray Anderson, Gerry Hemingway and Mark Helias.) for $5. I'll be picking up copies of Devil's Paradise and Johnny's Corner Song, both of which I have wanted to hear for a long time.

Edited by John B

Guest Chaney

... I do know of another source for these oop Eremites, so I'll send you a PM.

:tup

Oddly enough, that supplier has priced the OOP titles higher than the others. <_<

Oh well...

... I do know of another source for these oop Eremites, so I'll send you a PM.

:tup

Oddly enough, that supplier has priced the OOP titles higher than the others. <_<

Oh well...

I'm fairly certain that one person at the "other supplier" is affiliated with Eremite directly and is credited on many of its releases, which might explain the availability of some of the OOPs as well as the awareness of their scarcity.

If you're patient enough, most of these will probably make it back into print someday. I'm not sure what Michael's policy is on reprinting, but there are a few titles he has repressed already.

I really love this one, wonderful interplay between the three :tup

B00005A7CY.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'm with you on this one, too!

I also have a very short (40 minutes) live set they played at Willisau, 1997 or 1998. Or even 1996. Well, I can't remember.

Gary Peacock is one hell of a bass player, from Bud Shank to Keith Jarrett, from Ayler to wherever he might go.

I kind of like two his own ECM albums I have picked up cheap - the one with Stanko and Garbarek, and a trio record with Lande and Zigmund.

ubu

Archie Shepp - The Way Ahead - Impulse!

I love this album from the earlier days of free jazz - just listen to the first track, "Damn If I Know (The Stroller)"; that's what the blues are all about.

B00000DD1W.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I love The Way Ahead.

Beautiful Album.

Hey Geoff, nice to see you back.

To my shame, I don't have Shepp's "The Way Ahead". I guess I should look for the Japanese reissue of it.

David, you have to know that the US Impulse reissue has the two "straight jazz" tracks from "Kwanza" (non-informative AMG-link) added.

I like "The Way Ahead", too, by the way.

ubu