Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you heard The Hands of the Caravaggio?

I listened to it today for the first time. Twice in a row. It's excellent. Different in feel than Duos for Doris - more joyful and aggessive. It's remarkacble that despite there being 13 musicians, it is very tightly organized.

Guest Chaney

13 musicians! Wow! That could be very interesting.

~~~~~~~~~~

David: Thanks for spotting that solo Bhob Rainey disk you mentioned above. I ordered a copy.

~~~~~~~~~~

Bassist Damon Smith posted what follows on a few boards:

New CD: BPALTD202 Domo Arigato Derek-Sensei! Henry Kaiser Solo/Duo/Trio

mask_cover_comp2.jpg

Henry Kaiser solo, duo and trio with Derek Bailey, Motoharu Yoshizwawa, Kiku Day, Toshinori Kondo, Henry Kuntz, Davey Williams, John Oswald, Sang-Won Park, Mototeru Tagakagi, Greg Goodman, Larry Ochs, Damon Smith, Charles K. Noyes & Andea Centazzo.

Includes a playing/talking book review of Ben Watson's "Derek Bailey and the Story of Free Improvisation"

you can hear an MP3 of the Kaiser/Smith duo here: http://myspace.com/smithdamon

all profits go to INCUS records.

If you would like a copy please send a paypal for $15pp worldwide to damon@balancepointacoustics.com

Edited by Chaney

Bassist Damon Smith posted what follows on a few boards:

New CD: BPALTD202 Domo Arigato Derek-Sensei! Henry Kaiser Solo/Duo/Trio

mask_cover_comp2.jpg

Henry Kaiser solo, duo and trio with Derek Bailey, Motoharu Yoshizwawa, Kiku Day, Toshinori Kondo, Henry Kuntz, Davey Williams, John Oswald, Sang-Won Park, Mototeru Tagakagi, Greg Goodman, Larry Ochs, Damon Smith, Charles K. Noyes & Andea Centazzo.

Includes a playing/talking book review of Ben Watson's "Derek Bailey and the Story of Free Improvisation"

you can hear an MP3 of the Kaiser/Smith duo here: http://myspace.com/smithdamon

all profits go to INCUS records.

If you would like a copy please send a paypal for $15pp worldwide to damon@balancepointacoustics.com

I wonder if they have all this talking all throughout the disc :wacko:

Btw, nice man Damon Smith included a bonus CD with with 4 CDs I got form him on e-bay. Haven't listend to any of them yet.

Guest Chaney

:excited:

That would be Saint Of Killers? It's really not too bad, just too flippin' loud.

"highest recommendation to disturbed individuals who refuse to take their medication and really appreciate fucked up sonic mayhem played by talented individuals who can play like the devil and are determined to do something creatively different.

- AURAL INNOVATIONS

Wondering who that vocalist might be, I googled for an image of Jesse Quatro.

Jesse_Quattro.jpg

Don't have the reputation to be the best interpretation of MORTON FEDMAN piano music mostly because the quality of the piano.

P.L.M., what solo piano interpretation of Feldman would you recommend?

David: Thanks for spotting that solo Bhob Rainey disk you mentioned above. I ordered a copy.

Jazzloft also carries Butcher/Durrant/Russell: "Concert Moves" (Random Acoustics) that I haven't seen elsewhere. I remember Nate praised this one highly.

:excited:

That would be Saint Of Killers? It's really not too bad, just too flippin' loud.

Tony, what happened to your once-exquisite taste?!?!

Me? I am buying this CD, for sure.

Guest Chaney

Exquisite taste? :g

Just got this from Rita De Vuyst of Afkikker:

Dear Musicians and Music Lovers,

Afkikker with vzw Klimop are organising the second Blossoms Festival from 12 till 15th of April in Gent Belgium.

We present beautiful concerts and our book “Bone” a tribute to Steve Lacy as well as 3 cd’s we published with music of Steve Lacy.

The whole album “Blossoms” the 5 farewell concerts ane 1 dvd can be ordered as well. Now it is a handmade construction but in future we will also publish a album – box, easier to distribute. Next comes dvd Steve Lacy and Irene Aebi in Afkikker.

On April 12 we start in Afkikker, our club in Ghent with reception and Jam of musicians living in Ghent

On April 13 we present in Sint-Kwintenskapel Ghent a Serenade for Steve Lacy, composition of Jan Van Landeghem for 10 violins, with Michail Bezverhny.

On april 14 we go to the big Gravensteen castle for the presentation of cd Steve Lacy’s quintet 1971 with Seve Potts (sax), Kent Carter (bass) and Noël McGhie (drums)

On April 15 we invite Irene Aebi (voice) and Frederic Rzewski(piano) in the Sint-Kwintenskapel Ghent. Poems by Judith Malina and music by Steve Lacy

As you see “Blossoms” is for Steve Lacy’music and all those who interlace with it.

So, we are editing our second book “The Golden Book” with text of friends and fans and musiclovers about music, art, culture...

If you want to collaborate by sending a text we can use for the book, it’s welcome!

The word is coming in....

Hope to meet one day,

Best greetings,

Rita De Vuyst

Guest akanalog

for those who ordered the dudu pukwana album-i jumped on with the "follow the herd" mentality and yesterday decided to see what was up. amazon claimed my order shipped, but i had my doubts and contacted the selller directly who of course said the item was on special order and would hopefully be in in a few weeks and i got some garbage about how they are a new store and so the listings were wrong. anyways, i got a refund. said i didn't want to wait.

and back to the black saint/soul note thing-some more i enjoy are:

lester bowie's "the fifth power"

don pullen "warriors"

Guest akanalog

and in a totally non-argumentative way...

i just purchased cecil taylor's "one too many salty swift and not goodbye" because i saw it used on sale (still expensive).

penguin and AMG both praise its wonders, and any comments i find online are equally gushing (besdies a few reservations about jackson on drums). now i am not saying the album isn't brilliant but i am wondering if anyone who feels it is a work of brilliance can suggest how they listen to this music and what they appreciate about it because i have a hard time getting inside it, besides occassionally and ironically enough, being grabbed by jackson's drumming....

Guest akanalog

i like "winged serpents". otherwise not such a fan. i like earlier stuff with dennis charles and shepp but that was way earlier.

i thought this particular unit would be a good one to explore (the jackson/ameen/sirone, etc one).

"winged serpents" has some stuff a listener can grab on to and go from there, which i guess not all taylor does.

i like "winged serpents". otherwise not such a fan. i like earlier stuff with dennis charles and shepp but that was way earlier.

i thought this particular unit would be a good one to explore (the jackson/ameen/sirone, etc one).

"winged serpents" has some stuff a listener can grab on to and go from there, which i guess not all taylor does.

well, it depends on the listener. the One Too Many Salty Swift group is arguably the one that "fit" Cecil the best, but I'll agree that there are others I personally find more pleasurable to listen to.

ones closer to Winged Serpents are Olu Iwa and Always a Pleasure, I personally enjoy all three of those more than anything from the One Too Salty Swift group.

and in a totally non-argumentative way...

i just purchased cecil taylor's "one too many salty swift and not goodbye" because i saw it used on sale (still expensive).

penguin and AMG both praise its wonders, and any comments i find online are equally gushing (besdies a few reservations about jackson on drums). now i am not saying the album isn't brilliant but i am wondering if anyone who feels it is a work of brilliance can suggest how they listen to this music and what they appreciate about it because i have a hard time getting inside it, besides occassionally and ironically enough, being grabbed by jackson's drumming....

I don't have this disc, so I cannot comment on it.

Talking about what I appreciate in music in general, I could never really formulate for myself why I like what I like and don't like what I don't like. I would argue there is not much sense in over-analyzing it.

Thinking about it, if there is one thing I am consciously looking for in music, this would probably be a sense of surprise. I get bored by predictability and routine extemely fast.

Two times I saw Cecil live (once with a large American band, second time in duo with Oxley) the music was quite predictable.

sorry to interrupt your advanced and electro-acoustic conversations to mention two much more down to earth discs I picked up yesterday:

lstt.jpg

willi_the_pig.jpg

Gave both a spin by now, and the Sclavis is excellent I must say! Very short (which is definitely a plus, in these years of too long CDs by too boring musicians), but full of ideas. Just (overdubbed) clarinet & bass clarinet, with two guys adding some percussion (each on one tune only). From Ellington to yurpean folksy grooves... recommended!

The Tchicai/Schweizer is some other kind of thing... more a traditional free blowing disc, but Tchicai does some nice things. I'll have to listen more to decide how much I like it, though.

Do you guys think it makes sense to go to AEoC concert? Starting in two hours, one hour drive from my place.

I would. Especially if the tickets were not too expensive.

Do you guys think it makes sense to go to AEoC concert? Starting in two hours, one hour drive from my place.

I hope to catch some of that on the radio later tonight... I guess I could tell you around midnight :g

I saw them live three years ago (with Malachi then), and it was so-so.

And Chris Potter is opening... I think I will skip.

I'll go see Ochs-Masaoka-Lee tomorrow, though (15-minute ride form my place ;)).

sorry to interrupt your advanced and electro-acoustic conversations to mention two much more down to earth discs I picked up yesterday:

lstt.jpg

Gave both a spin by now, and the Sclavis is excellent I must say! Very short (which is definitely a plus, in these years of too long CDs by too boring musicians), but full of ideas. Just (overdubbed) clarinet & bass clarinet, with two guys adding some percussion (each on one tune only). From Ellington to yurpean folksy grooves... recommended!

Flurin, for inexplicable reason I rodered this one about a week ago from amazon.fr! Will let you know my opinion when I have a chance to listen to it.

P.L.M., what solo piano interpretation of Feldman would you recommend?

I just have the two volume published by hat ART ten and fifteen years ago.

I like them both (Marianne Schroeder "Works For Piano" and, with different piano players (Steffen Schleiermacher, Isabel Mundy, Mats Persson etc...), five altogether who performed the last piece together written for... five pianos and called "Five pianos") "Works For Piano, vol.2".

I like them both but, first it's not an "integral" of Feldman's piano and, secondo, both are out of print from quite a time now.

Th sound is quite magnificent on both, by the way.