Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Darn you guys!! I found this thread so interesting because I've been wanting to explore a different direction in jazz for the last couple of months, so I've dipped my toe in the water. Today I bought Peter Brotzmann: Never Too Late But Always Too Early, and I find it an incredibly fascinating listen. My first Brotzmann but not my last. I always found the Brotzmann reputation too off-putting, that he's loud, choatic, and not pleasent to listen to. Far from it, I found a lot of different musical feels to this cd, and it's one that I'll have to listen to many times over to take it all in. I'll have to make a list now for my next Ameoba visit. My poor wallet. Seriously, thanks to everyone for sharing their insights to a side of jazz that I wanted to explore, but needed a nudge to start, or maybe is was a swift kick in the ass that I really needed ;) .

Edited by Matthew

Darn you guys!! I found this thread so interesting because I've been wanting to explore a different direction in jazz for the last couple of months, so I've dipped my toe in the water. Today I bought Peter Brotzmann: Never Too Late But Always Too Early, and I find it an incredibly fascinating listen. My first Brotzmann but not my last. I always found the Brotzmann reputation too off-putting, that he's loud, choatic, and not pleasent to listen to. Far from it, I found a lot of different musical feels to this cd, and it's one that I'll have to listen to many times over to take it all in. I'll have to make a list now for my next Ameoba visit. My poor wallet. Seriously, thanks to everyone for sharing their insights to a side of jazz that I wanted to explore, but needed a nudge to start, or maybe is was a swift kick in the ass that I really needed ;) .

Matthew, let us know what you think about this music! (I don't have that Brötz disc, being in the "entering stage" still, as far as he is concerned)

ubu

Darn you guys!! 

Welcome to the thread Matthew!

Like ubu, I too have yet to buy Never Too Late But Always Too Early but it's on The List. After I end my CD buying freeze, I'll have to pick that one up.

Now we really MUST talk about you and your disturbing appreciation of Chris Standring: Hip Sway. :blink::D

Matthew -

If you want to explore more "accessible Brotzmann my suggestions would be all of the Die Like a Dog discs (three on FMP, one on Eremite) the WELS concert and the Dried Rat Dog, both on Okkadisk.

The rest of you should be ashamed for not owning Never Too Late. You must listen to 100 Kenny G tracks in penance. ;)

Darn you guys!!

O-ho-ho, that's the best way to introduce one's presence at the Funny Rat thread!

Welcome, Matthew!

I also don't have "Never Too Late...", and I also intend to buy it eventually. But not too soon - I over-Brötzmanned a bit over tha last year, so I thought some other artists should benefit from my attention in 2004.

Brötzmann's album I listen most often to recently is actually not a Brötzmann's album: Frode Gjerstad trio with Peter Brötzmann "Sharp Knives Cut Deeper". I listen to it in the car and I think this is one of the main reasons of my constant speeding - the music is very STIMULATING. As I emntioned earlier, Brötzmann is definitely a more gentle player here. Paal Nilssen-Love is a terrific drummer (I think he is now replacing Hamid Drake in Brötzmann's tentet, and may I say, I think tentet will sound even better with him)!

But other than Brötzamann there is a lot of excellent STIMULATING music - read this thread from start to finish attentively (trying to keep your sanity intact), purchase all the CDs recommended here (present the receipt to free jazz police in upstate NY) and transform your neighbours' perception of reality forever.

Meanwhile, I received Shipp's Multiplicaiton Table, so the only hatOLOGY item I am still searching for is Rara Avis.

More - new INTAKT catalog mentions an upcoming (AUtumn 2004) 3CD set of Monks compositions played by a swinging chaka-chaka hard-bop quartet featuring Alexander von Schlippenbach, Axel Dörner, Rudi Mahal, Jan Roder and Uli Johannessen. I hope they play "Locomotive", my favorite Monk's composition.

3CD set! 3!!! Monk!

I listened to the whole BrotzmannNever Too Late But Always Too Early cd today, and I must say, I enjoyed every bit of it. My favorite part was Never Run But Go pt. 4, which has a tremendous bluesey feel. As I said before, I was leary of Brotzmann because of his reputation, but I discovered on this cd an artist that can play at times, with, dare I say it, a sense of delicacy. Parker and Drake were great on this session, really meshed well, and seemed to be in snyc with Brotzmann. His clarinet work was nice and tastey. Well, got my toe wet, might as well just dive right in, and get messy.

But other than Brötzamann there is a lot of excellent STIMULATING music - read this thread from start to finish attentively (trying to keep your sanity intact), purchase all the CDs recommended here (present the receipt to free jazz police in upstate NY) and transform your neighbours' perception of reality forever.

Well, I've made it to page fourteen so far -- boy you guys can write a lot of stuff! :o

I heard Evan Parker's Monoceros for the first time today. What a fantastic disc! Four tracks, all solo soprano. The first track, which is about 25 minutes long, is mesmerizing. I think it was Nate Dorward who said that this disc might be oop, so grab a copy if you see one. I think I'll grab The Snake Decides and Lines Burnt in Light next. Between this disc and Arcana Major it's been a great week for amazing solo sax discs!

I heard Evan Parker's Monoceros  for the first time today.  What a fantastic disc!  Four tracks, all solo soprano.  The first track, which is about 25 minutes long, is mesmerizing.  I think it was Nate Dorward who said that this disc might be oop, so grab a copy if you see one.  I think I'll grab The Snake Decides and Lines Burnt in Light next.  Between this disc and Arcana Major it's been a great week for amazing solo sax discs!

Gebbia and Parker duo. Can you imagine how THIS could sound like? I can't.

Edited by Д.Д.

I heard Evan Parker's Monoceros  for the first time today.  What a fantastic disc!  Four tracks, all solo soprano.  The first track, which is about 25 minutes long, is mesmerizing.  I think it was Nate Dorward who said that this disc might be oop, so grab a copy if you see one.  I think I'll grab The Snake Decides and Lines Burnt in Light next.  Between this disc and Arcana Major it's been a great week for amazing solo sax discs!

has this been released? I'd love to hear this...no idea if it would be succesful at all...

Listening to Joe Maneri Quartet:  Tenderly (hatOLOGY 525)

:o

Wonderful stuff.

Hmm... I don't remember it being that wonderful...

Will listen to it today.

I have to join in the dissent. Tenderly has never done anything for me. I gave it another spin after reading your post and, while there are a few nice moments, the disc as a whole just doesn't "click" for me.

has this been released? I'd love to hear this...no idea if it would be succesful at all...

From what I know, no.

But you can get excellent Parker-Braxton duet on Leo. Braxton is not Gebbia of course, but...;)

Hey, I think we are going in circles (like Evan Parker soprano solos) - I am pretty sure we dicussed Parker somewhere up already.

New release from Victo: Barre Phillips / Joëlle Léandre / William Parker / Tetsu Saitoh "After You Gone". Looks scary, ah? Press release HERE.

Hm, interested to hear what folks say about the 4-bass disc. I was at the concert & found myself largely wishing that I could hear them perform in solo & duo formations rather than some free-improv equivalent of the Three Tenors. It wasn't bad, just overkill. Incidentally, the best recent Victo disc I've heard is Wing Vane from a couple years back--the trio performed last year at the same festival as the four-bass thing.

Yes Monoceros is one of Parker's better solo discs: great stuff. The other Chronoscope reissue of his first two solo discs, doubled-up, is also fascinating stuff, & barely resembles anything else of Parker's I've heard (long, gruelling passages of harsh, sustained tones, slowly worked-over). It's some of his most visceral playing, very different from the twiddly ethereal bagpipe music of the later discs.

Was impressed with Ayler Records' latest release: Michael Marcus Trio with William Parker and Dennis Charles 'Ithem'.

http://www.ayler.com/

Interesting. I've never heard of MIchael Marcus. How would you describe his playing?

Eric Dolphy/Sonny Simmons.

Plays some mean bass clarinet. Good composer.

He is a partner of Sonny Simmons in Cosmosamatics, actually.

Was impressed with Ayler Records' latest release: Michael Marcus Trio with William Parker and Dennis Charles 'Ithem'.

http://www.ayler.com/

Interesting. I've never heard of MIchael Marcus. How would you describe his playing?

Eric Dolphy/Sonny Simmons.

Plays some mean bass clarinet. Good composer.

He is a partner of Sonny Simmons in Cosmosamatics, actually.

D.D. beat me to it. Pretty accurate description. Would also add a touch of Jimmy Lyons.

Got to check out "Dissonant Characters" today. But I will only again be able to post on Friday.

I meant the Maneri/Shipp, not "Dissonant Characters". Like it! Gotta listen more, but like it!

ubu

What I like so much about it is that Maneri's response to Shipp is absolutely unpredictable. For example, on "Greensleves" (that I've learned to hate, even in Coltrane's performance, precisely for that - predictability of how it might be interpreted), he is responbding absolutely not in the way that SHipp's playing would suggest he "should" respond. Even more so for the composition 8 - Shipp starts with some romantic-melancholic-brooding-beautiful (and a bit banal) figure, and you can already see how Maneri should enter - but he does something absolutely different!... but it fits greatly. All in all, a beautiful music with a lot of fascinating interaction (subtle and otherwise); Maneri is simply formidable (and with beatiful sound) and Shipp interests me more and more with his mathematical approach.

I know this one's been talked to death, but I loved The Vienna Art Orchestra: The Minimalism of Erik Satie. It has a very otherworldly quality, with Woody Schabata being very good, and minimal with the vibes. It is very arranged music, not a lot of room for improv. by the musicians, but that is something I can take in Big Bands. The standout track for me was Satie ist mir im Traum 3 x nicht eschienen. So slow, intense, and very good solo work by Harry Sokal. Lauren Newton is an aquired taste however, and I haven't quite aquired it yet.

Spent way too much on my visit to Ameoba's. But, I have an excuse: I saw the Jimmy Lyons box set, and knew I had to get it, or else I would never be able post in this thread again (besides, it's a limited edition, right??). I'll have to listen to Lyons over the weekend. Of course, I still trying to figure out an excuse for buying all the other stuff I did. <_<

Edited by Matthew