Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Of what I've heard from the recommendations so far, I'd say the following are good albums:

Frank Lowe - The Flam (agree with D.D., very good)

Giorgio Gaslini - Gaslini Plays Monk

Giorgio Gaslini - Ayler's Wings (though so far I like the Monk album better by a fair margin, so though both are interesting, get the Monk first, if you like him it's likely to be so much that you'll want to get Ayler's Wings at some point and if not, well at least you'll have heard some of his best work)

Waldron/Lacy - Sempre Amore (this is good, though most people seem to like it more than I do; my favorite of the Waldron/Lacy duos is Let's Call This...Esteem on Slam)

Anthony Braxton - Six Monk's Compositions (one of my first Braxton - and Waldron - discs, and one that I still enjoy every bit as much as I did back when I got it, very good)

And I have added The New Village on the Left to my to-get list.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some fantastic Black Saint / Soul Note recommendations so far. Here are a few more discs I love that haven't been mentioned so far:

Don Pullen - Sixth Sense, Evidence of Things Unseen, Milano Strut, Warriors, Healing Force

Joseph Jarman / Don Moye w/Johnny Dyani - Black Paladins

Lester Bowie - The 5th power

Roscoe Mitchell - 3x4 Eye, This Dance is for Steve McCall

Guest akanalog

look what got started!

ok let me add and emphasize-

i agree on frank lowe's "the flam"

i would also like to recommend-

billy bang's "the fire within"

andrew cyrille "the navigator" "metamusicians stomp" "special people" all 3 are great, IMO

enrico rava's "il giro de giorno in 80 mondi"

archie shepp's "a sea of faces"

joseph jarman's "black paladins" as someone mentioned

jukius hemphill "flat out jump suite"

billy harper "black saint"

these are about my favorites on the label right now.

just bought jemeel moondoc's "nostalgia in times square". looks interesting...

some of my favorites that might not have been mentioned:

Billy Bang: Valve #10 - with a subdued and wonderful performance by Frank Lowe - as well as a sublime rhythm section of Sirone and the *great* Denis Charles

Andrew Hill: Shades - Clifford Jordan at the top of his game. Hill more in the pocket than on things like Strange Serenade. Riley and Reid are perfect together swinging Hill's music in a more traditional way than normal.

Muhal Richard Abrams: Hearinga Suite - great big band with Cyrille in the trap drum seat. All colours - perfect length (about 40 minutes) has this listener pining for more.

David Murray: Bodies and Soul - from 1993 - ripping quartet with rashied ali more aggressive and powerful than many of Murray's drummer's performance within his quartets. Sonelius Smith roars from the piano chair.

Julius Hemphill: Flat Out Jump Suite - seemingly dense and obtuse - this reveals itself to be a classic example of Hemphill's art - within a fairly standard quartet's instrumentation - outside of Wadud's cello in place of the traditionla bass. And the great cellists takes this music to places before unseen.

Billy Bang: Valve #10 - with a subdued and wonderful performance by Frank Lowe - as well as a sublime rhythm section of Sirone and the *great* Denis Charles

I saw this line up ( certainly Lowe was on tenor) when Billy Bang did a UK tour in the late 80s. I was only just getting into jazz and mesmerised by the performance especially an astonishing version of St. Thomas. Bang said then that they had just recorded a session which eventually came out as Valve #10. I was a little disappointed by the CD by comparison but will give it a listen again tonight.

I've passed on Bang's CDs since but lately have really enjoyed his presense on Kahil El'Zabar's Ritual Trio Cd on Delamrk, so perhaps I need to see if I need more Bangs for my buck :g

Guest akanalog

clunke, yeah the problem i had with valve no. 10 was the poetry track. sort of cheesy, IMO and ruined the overall experience for me.

if you want to check other bang, i would recommend "the fire from within".

here is the AMG review-

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&t...10:fvfrxq9gldte

don't believe all the casteneda mumbo jumbo in the review if you read it.

i always want to check out 'rainbow gladiator" but have a feeling it will be "good, not great".

"flat out jump suite" is pretty cool. i liked that one a lot better than "raw materials and residuals". because of dara, i guess. and maybe warren smith over moye. dara sounds great on this one. it is interesting how the album flows from one part to the next. and the concept kind of works-cerebral to physical music or whatever. "dogon A.D." is still better, but only available on dubious CDs and not BS/SN anyways..

another good david murray besides what mr. reynolds said, and that is a good one, is "morning song". i am not much of a murray follower, but i imagine this must be one of his most consistent and consistently satisfying albums, in no small part thanks to ed blackwell being the drummer. they even end with a nice murray/blackwell duet.

the one mr. reynolds mentioned, he mentioned sonelius smith. who seems to be more deserving of attention. he is also on andrew cyrille's "the navigator", which i mentioned earlier, if you want to hear more of him.

plus we could do a whole thread on the John Lindberg black saints

start with the great "Give and Take" - with George Lewis and Barry Altschul - from 1983

the later ones are all fine - with some like Resurrection of a Dormant Soul, Quartet Afterstorm and Bounce maybe being ona slightly higher level than the others

they feature great players from various backgrounds - from Albery Mangelsdorff to Ed Thigpen to Dave Douglas and Larry Ochs

I have a few Billy Bang CDs, and I enjoy all of them, even if Mr. Bang tends to be a bit overly melodramatic at times. His best playing is on his duo with Denis Charles on hatOLOGY called Bangception, IMO.

John Lindberg surely is a fine musician. I remeber being quite a bit underwhelemed by his solo work on Musi & Arts (with some enormously tedious bombastic poem in the middle), though. His Catbird Sings is a kick-ass free-bop stuff (with might Larry Ochs, iirc).

David Murray I have heard on a few CDs, and as I mentioned before, I think he is a good example of a fake "jazz" musician, not any better than Wynton. All clichées, a lot of chops, no substance. Of BS/SN discs of his I have "Ming", and it did not change my opinion of him.

Julius Hemphill I appreciate very selectively. I thought his duo with Wadud on Red label (forgot the title) was phenomenal. So was "Coon Bidness" (on Freedom / Black Lion). The rest (and I have a lot, including Black Saints), I definitely have to spend more time with, but first impressions very not too positive.

Edited by Д.Д.

:tup for "Bangception" (Some of my favourite Charles there! And you know I am not his greatest fan in other contexts...), and also for "Coon Bid'ness"! Oh, and for "Tree Frog Tonality", too (my only Lindberg, except that I just also got the successor on between the lines, but haven't played it yet.

picked up these two in a sale:

lowe1.jpg

e25257ds8yd.jpg

Played the Taylor once so far, sounded ok. Haven't heard the Lowe yet. Any opinions?

I've been listening to the Lowe recently. On first listen, I felt as if the tunes were sort of "monochromatic"--your regular theme/solo/theme fair with your stock and trade free blowing interspersed. Hearing it again (after a matter of months), it's a completely different story. This is a recording that rewards repeated/close listenings--a nuanced, powerful performance by an obscure and wonderful group. This is a top-notch post-Ornette combo--the sort that was stretching past the melodic innovations and into something a little more involved. Lowe is at his incendiary best; the band cooks; the improv is tight. I like this one a lot (almost as much as Black Beings and the best CIMPs).