Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

And of a disk I just received today:

12thisthat.jpg

Lol Coxhill / Frode Gjerstad / Nick Stephens

THIS THAT AND THE THE OTHER

Loose Torque

This splendid studio date recorded in September 2003 features the distinctive soprano sax of the grand old recedent himself, Lol Coxhill, in a muscular battle with Frode Gjerstad's clarinets and alto sax and bassist and Loose Torque head honcho Nick Stephens. Stephens appears to have some kind of a brush handy to thrum the strings of his bass on "That", but apart from that there's no drummer on the date – and yet the trio really swings, an underlying tough though never explicitly stated groove seeming to propel the music forward. The recording is superb, and really catches the punch and sweat of the session, from Stephens' hefty twangs to Coxhill and Gjerstad's joyous yelps. It's certainly refreshing to hear two saxophonists actually playing their horns, especially since most of the folks who seem to pick up the instrument today to play improvised music seem more interested in huffing and puffing rather than actually blowing the house down. (See above..) Both Coxhill and Gjerstad really know how to carry and develop a line – you can call it technique if you like, I don't mind – and it makes all the difference.–DW

Loose Torque

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bonnie just sent me Baggerboot but I haven't done more than give it a background listen yet (& it's definitely not a disc to background!). Will report back....

I think that I should bug Dan to change that to "JAMES FINN -- Interviewed by Nate Dorward"..... sounds a little ambiguous as it stands. The rest of the issue's superb too--Dan seems to be attracting a lot of good writers lately.

Actually, I like Interview with Nate Dorward as it seems to subtley signify respect for your work and acknowledge your abilities. Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Chaney

Hey, good reminder about Fullman - I've been meaning to check out her music since I've read that article about her in STN. Will order some of her CDs.

I like Ellen Fullmans Long String Instrument. That's some cool shit.

Friends, I listend to Ellen Fullman's "Body music" (XI)... three times in a row. Enjoyed it immensely. So much sound. Music to get transfixed by. Would love to see her performing live, but I doubt she travels too much with this monstrous Long String Instrument thingie.

Found a sample here.

803680585306.jpg

fullman2.jpg

----------------------------------

Listening to Fullman's disc (yes, for the fourth time), I realized I have heard spmething somewhat similar on Stephen Scott's "New music for bowed piano" (New albion) (smaple avilable here as well).

Edited by Д.Д.

Hey, good reminder about Fullman - I've been meaning to check out her music since I've read that article about her in STN. Will order some of her CDs.

Friends, I listend to Ellen Fullman's "Body Music" (XI)... three times in a row. Enjoyed it immensely. So much sound. Music to get transfixed by. Would love to see her performing live, but I doubt she travels too much with this monstrous Long String Instrument thingie.

I heard her perform with the Deep Listening Band three days in a row at Columbia University. I wanted to find out how the structure changed from performance to performance.

I don't think it would be too much trouble to tour with this instrument, unless it gets restrung everytime it is set up. She would need a bit of time after setup for tuning, maybe a few days.

Friends, I listend to Ellen Fullman's "Body Music" (XI)... three times in a row. Enjoyed it immensely. So much sound. Music to get transfixed by. Would love to see her performing live, but I doubt she travels too much with this monstrous Long String Instrument thingie.

I heard her perform with the Deep Listening Band three days in a row at Columbia University. I wanted to find out how the structure changed from performance to performance.

So did it change much?

So did it change much?

As I recall, each section wasn't exactly the same.

I want to give the disks I have a good listen in the near future, it's been a while. I'm very interested in this kind of tuning system, having done a bit of work with something similar in the past 11 years.

That's a tough one, David. Limited edition (1000 copies) and out these past 10+ years. I'll look around.

Maybe e-mail Mats? mats@olofbright.com

Edited by Chaney

Friends, woudl anyone of you know where I can find Mats Gustafsson / Paul Lovens "Nothing to read" CD (Blue tower, 1991)?

btcd03.gif

I know Harald (Hult), of Blue Tower, had a copy for sale at last year's Perspectives festival. I remember that it was quite pricey and thus didn't ask him for this when I was in his store a few months ago. I do not have contact information for him handy, though.

And of a disk I just received today:

12thisthat.jpg

Lol Coxhill / Frode Gjerstad / Nick Stephens

THIS THAT AND THE THE OTHER

Loose Torque

This splendid studio date recorded in September 2003 features the distinctive soprano sax of the grand old recedent himself, Lol Coxhill, in a muscular battle with Frode Gjerstad's clarinets and alto sax and bassist and Loose Torque head honcho Nick Stephens. Stephens appears to have some kind of a brush handy to thrum the strings of his bass on "That", but apart from that there's no drummer on the date – and yet the trio really swings, an underlying tough though never explicitly stated groove seeming to propel the music forward. The recording is superb, and really catches the punch and sweat of the session, from Stephens' hefty twangs to Coxhill and Gjerstad's joyous yelps. It's certainly refreshing to hear two saxophonists actually playing their horns, especially since most of the folks who seem to pick up the instrument today to play improvised music seem more interested in huffing and puffing rather than actually blowing the house down. (See above..) Both Coxhill and Gjerstad really know how to carry and develop a line – you can call it technique if you like, I don't mind – and it makes all the difference.–DW

Loose Torque

This really is a fantastic set and DW gives one a good idea of what to expect. How I might differ is in his use of the descriptor battle. Probabyly a good description of what you'll hear but as all three men play with such incedible generousness -- each player seems to respond to and musically caress the other players every utterance -- I really can't go along with the use of the word battle. Tussle? Sometimes violent love-making? Maybe I'd better stop.

The sound really is good; nice weight to the instruments, especially the bass.

Very highly recommended.

And speaking of DMG, what do you make of this from their latest mailing:

FRODE GJERSTAD TRIO - Ultima (Cadence Jazz 1108) Featuring Frode on alto sax, William Parker on bass and Hamid Drake on drums.  This was recorded live at the Ultima Jazz Fest in Oslo, Norway in October of 1997 and released two years later.  Downtown contrabass hero and multi-bandleader, William Parker, recently cleaned out his closet and left us with a box of cds to check out.  One of these gems is this wonderful free-jazz trio date with the great Scandinavian alto saxist Frode Gjerstad and Williams' most consistently inspired and diverse rhythm team partners, our man Hamid Drake (last seen locally at Tonic with Painkiller).  Frode has more than a dozen fine releases under his belt, having worked at length in Detail with John Stevens and Johnny Dyani, as well as with Peter Brotzmann, Derek Bailey and Bobby Bradford.  This trio with William and Hamid is burning and spinning furiously right from the starting gate, rarely coming up for air.  "Ultima" is one long (nearly an hour) and evolving piece that moves through a variety of sections.  William, early on, takes one of his customary, amazing and intense bowed bass solos while Hamid whips up a rhythm storm along side as Frode digs in and takes off for the stratosphere.  Frode occasionally sound like Jemeel Moondoc, which is no surprise since Jemeel has also used the same rhythm team at times.  There is a Frode Gjerstad ten cd set of duos planned for FMR in the near future, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  In the meantime, this particular trio date is an outstanding one to savor and heat things up on these cold winter nights.

CD release for $14.         

I'm not familiar with Frode Gjerstad. Should I be excited over this rumored 10 CD set?

yes, and you should definitely check out Ultima and Remember to Forget, the two discs he recorded with Drake and Parker. Great stuff!

My message to FMR:

Hello,

A question? Is it true that FMR will be releasing a 10 CD set containing Frode Gjerstad duo material?

If yes, details?

Thank you

RESPONSE:

Hi Tony

Yes that is the plan, after each individiual cd has been released.

So far we have released duos with Borah Bergman, Peter Brotzman, Lasse

Marhaug, Steve Hubback, Terje Isungset, John Stevens, Sabir Mateen,

Nils Hennik Asheim, Paul Hessian and Kevin Norton and are making final

decisions as to 'leave it there' or release any more, so keep in touch.

All the above are now available and also there are other CDs such as

the highly successful Ultralyd, St Louis and recently Dreams in Dreams

and Live in Europe due soon.

All the best

Trevor Taylor

FMR

~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone have an opinion on Lol Coxhill / Steve Lacy / Evan Parker - Three Blokes (FMP)? Main reason I ask is that there's an eBay seller (Caiman) selling copies at $6.80 each plus shipping.

Edited by Chaney

I haven't heard the disc FMR released but the second Gjerstad / Marhaug disc, titled Red Edge, is fantastic.

rededge.jpg

Lasse has a new album out by a band called "Nash Kontroll," featuring Mats Gustafsson and Dror Feiler. I'd be very interested to hear this one.

Marhaug has been very impressive in almost every album of his I have heard.

Tony, are you sure you need 10 CDs of Gjerstad's duos, particularly with Sabir Mateen and Borah Bergman?

I actually have Gjerstad's duo with Hubback on Utech, and it is very much so-so.

That's a very good point, David. I'd cetainly hesitate in buying a 10 CD set but I'd be tempted to take the plunge if the set were attractively priced. Kind of a non-issue, really, as there's still no telling when such a set would be released. (Look at the date of my original post. Nearly two years and still no set.)

Much wiser to pick and choose.

Still, if it's in a pretty box...

John: Thanks for the recommendation of Red Edge. I'll pick that one up... unless you drew my name in the Funny Rat Secret Santa thange and Red Edge is a part of my gift. :blink:

Friends, woudl anyone of you know where I can find Mats Gustafsson / Paul Lovens "Nothing to read" CD (Blue tower, 1991)?

btcd03.gif

Shit, I forgot all about that. Good luck finding it; remember seeing it a few years ago and then let it slip away. I'll bet it's a good album, though!

I accidentally started a rumor once that there was a Dieter Scherf-Paul Lovens duo on LST (in addition to the trio), but apparently that doesn't exist. Too bad; would've been cool...

I've been trying not to spend money on new music, but an email I just received from Jazz Loft might cause me to break down and place an order.

Until the end of the month, three of Ellery Eskelin's discs on Hat Hut are half off. ($9.99) The titles are Arcanum Moderne, Vanishing Point and Forms.

I've been trying not to spend money on new music, but an email I just received from Jazz Loft might cause me to break down and place an order.

Until the end of the month, three of Ellery Eskelin's discs on Hat Hut are half off. ($9.99) The titles are Arcanum Moderne, Vanishing Point and Forms.

I ssume you shelled out $10 for the new Exploding Customer CD? I received it yesterday, and first impression is quite positive.

I ssume you shelled out $10 for the new Exploding Customer CD? I received it yesterday, and first impression is quite positive.

Yes, it is fantastic. I just finished listening to it again and I might enjoy it more than their first album.

The reissue of John Stevens' New Cool on Emanem is also very, very good. Everything Nate said about it in the album of the week thread is spot-on.

Edited by John B

Funny you should mention the new Exploding Customer disk as I just unwrapped my copy and I'm having a first listen right now. (Benjamin Quigley can really set up a hypnotic but dangerous sounding bass line, eh?)

On those three Eskelin CDs, I remember disliking Arcanum Moderne (from what I've read on these boards, a minority opinion) and liking Forms. I have Vanishing Point but don't remember whether I liked it or not.

I'm a bit sour on The Jazz Loft and its selling hatWHATEVER CDs as The Jazz Loft never did participate in selling Hats at the budget price, back when that deal first hit. And NOW they offer specials! (Seems to be in cunjunction with Hat, though.)

~~~~~~~~~~

News from Balance Point Acoustics:

New cd from Balance Point Acoustics: "cruxes" aurora josephson/joelle leandre/damon smith/martin blume

If you would like a copy, if possible do not use the order form on the

Balance Point Acousitics site, please pay by paypal to

aurora@auroarising.com, $12 U.S., $15 elsewhere, postage paid.

This cd is the second of two cds documenting Bochum percussionist

Martin Blume's October 2004 visit to the Bay Area. It is improvised

quartet music for voice, two double basses and percussion taking into

account recent and past developments in improvised music on both sides

of the atlantic.

Excerpt from liner notes:

"This CD is remarkable for it's at times gorgeous lyricism, power, and

quick cut chattering exchanges. At times meditative, drone dominated,

at other times a kaleidascope of independent counterpoint. Enjoy."

- Mark Dresser

More information below.

"cruxes" bpa 010

Aurora Josephson.................voice

Joëlle Léandre......................double bass

Damon Smith.........................double bass

Martin Blume..........................percussion

Cover: four linocuts, "Joëlle", "Aurora", "Martin", "Damon"

by Aurora Josephson each 9 x 12

Graphic design Alan Anzalone

Tray photos: Aurora Josephson

Liner notes: Mark Dresser

Recorded by Scott R. Looney 10/18/04 at the live Berkeley Art Center

(9-12)

and 10/19/04 at 1510 studios (1-8)

Mixed & Mastered by Scott R. looney 8/31/05 at 1510 studios

Thanks to John Lee at www.bayimproviser.com & Ulrich Everding at the

Goethe-Insitut San Francisco

http://www.balancepointacoustics.com

Edited by Chaney

Friends, I just had a first listen to a Eric Barber's "Maybeck contstructions" (pfMENTUM), and I am quite impressed.

Solo tenor and soprano saxophone, again (as with Bühler, who I also discovered a bit earlier) an Evan Parker disciple, and again, IMO, more focused and profound. Very impressive multiphonics and other extended techniques, but also impressive ideas. His tenor and soprano sound really nice (and really well recorded!) - clean, clear, rich sound. It is good that Barber is not ashamed to use more conventional saxophone playing techniques - and when he does, it sounds even pretty. All very coherent, with a constant flow. If there is a little drawback is that it's a bit too precisely calculated (large part of it might be written in advance, I thought), IMO. Highly recommended. Got my copy at indiejazz for $12.50.

A sample is avilable at the pfMENTUM page linked to above.

(Not too updated) Eric Barber website is here.

maybeck.jpg

Did anybody hear this one yet:

B00020X1S6.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

In case you cannot figure out the cover "art": this is Brötzmann-Mandershied-Samba trio CD released on Konnex last year. I assume this Brötzmann junkie Gary should have it since the day it was released...

Edited by Д.Д.

Hey I'm not that bad am I?

I admit to having a recent Brotzmann binge though . I haven't seen that one I normally wait for you guys to start talking about his releases, a copy is on its way now though :winky: from the jazz-network (I've not bought anything from them before ).

I had some friendly emails with Kilogram records & hopefully the North Quartet - Malamute CD should arrive in the next couple of days.