Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Thanks for the initial post and the recommendation from the list. I've now sent two emails to Gino.

After a second, closer listen, the Sunny Murray disc has risen in my estimation. I like it quite a bit. I'm not sure I would recommend it to someone who really does not care for Sabir Mateen (no names) but, for everyone else, highly recommended. I'll be buying volume 1 soon.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the initial post and the recommendation from the list.  I've now sent two emails to Gino.

After a second, closer listen, the Sunny Murray disc has risen in my estimation.  I like it quite a bit.  I'm not sure I would recommend it to someone who really does not care for Sabir Mateen (no names)  but, for everyone else, highly recommended.  I'll be buying volume 1 soon.

How is Sunny Murray's playing? I haven't heard his later recordings...

Very solid. The liner notes mention that he is no longer able to "sustain the intense high energy of previous decades" but I never even noticed. His playing is nuanced, interesting, and appropriate for the musicians he is playing with. Very impressive.

Very solid. The liner notes mention that he is no longer able to "sustain the intense high energy of previous decades" but I never even noticed. His playing is nuanced, interesting, and appropriate for the musicians he is playing with. Very impressive.

I am very much unipressed by his early ('60s) playing - I find it dull, extremely repetative and very limited technically, with no regard for other players whatsoeever. This hi-hat muddy "waves" on Ayler's records annoy me immensely and this shallow snare drum sound always makes me cringe. I like the first seconds of his playing on "Spiritual Unity", though.

I was bemused by Murray's account of Rashied Ali following him (literally and in msuic), and his condecending remarks about Milford Graves - both being much more interesting and creative musicians than Murray, IMO.

But I would be interested in hearing what old and wise Murray would sound like (probably in posession of a better-sounding drumset?)...

I was bemused by Murray's account of Rashied Ali following him (literally and in msuic), and his condecending remarks about Milford Graves - both being much more interesting and creative musicians than Murray, IMO.

Sunny is definitely not modest, that's for sure.

Edited by John B

Guest Chaney

John: I had noticed over in the listening to now thread that you're spinning Derek Bailey & Evan Parker - The London Concert.

Good?

I had heard that it's considered essential. I still haven't managed to pick up a copy.

Maybe another e-mail from me to Gino?

Yeah, I'll add this one too.

John:  I had noticed over in the listening to now thread that you're spinning Derek Bailey & Evan Parker - The London Concert.

Good?

I had heard that it's considered essential.  I still haven't managed to pick up a copy.

Maybe another e-mail from me to Gino?

Sunny is definitely not modest, that's for sure.

Why should he... I disagree with David here, obviously!

Just yesterday I played part of a longish audience recording I recently acquired by a trio of his with Mateen and Dave Burrell. I think he's in pretty fine form.

I have heard another set, half in trio with Khan Jamal and Mateen, and the other half with some guests (Odean Pope, Byard Lancaster, and others), and he sounds fine there, too. Both recordings are from October 2003.

Funny enough - throw stones! - I took to like Murray much faster (with Ayler and Taylor) than Andrew Cyrille (who might be, or rahter, back in the days, might have been the perfect Taylor drummer) and others from the era.

I still think Taylor's "Nefertiti" is a tremendous achievement in music, and Murray is playing quite an important part in its success (probably more so than Lyons, who is only tentatively searching there, still pretty much a bebop player).

John:  I had noticed over in the listening to now thread that you're spinning Derek Bailey & Evan Parker - The London Concert.

Good?

Yes. Very, very good. I haven't heard much Bailey but I will have to start after listening to this one.

There is a nice review of it over on Bagatellen.

So far I've been very impressed with every disc on Psi that I have heard.

Groet.jpg

Guus Janssen / Han Bennink - Groet (Data)

Highly, highly recommended. This is a live recording of Janssen and Bennink recorded at the BIMhuis on November 29, 2004. Excellent sound quality and fantastic playing by two masters. This is some of the best Bennink I have heard in a long time. Nothing too "wacky" or outlandish. Janssen is in top form, too. This would easily be at the top of my list if I had a "best of" list for the past year.

Edited by John B

I tried a search and couldn't find this,

but has anyone brought up the fact that Koji Tano

died a few weeks ago? The colon cancer took him rather quickly.

When I get back from Germany, I'll be putting together

a tribute piece.

Maybe my O-Search is faulty,

but it seems to have not been mentioned in the Funny Rat

which is quite a surprise.

R°d

Guest Chaney

You are who you've played with.

Anyone else getting tired of reading the liner notes of CDs only to encounter the inevitable list of past musical encounters? You may never have heard of Joe Blow but we can assure you he's somebody as he's taken lessons from (insert name here) and played / recorded with (insert name here).

Reason this comes to mind is THIS.

A man is missing and his friends and family are concerned... but let's not miss the knee-jerk opportunity to offer the missing man's resume.

Maybe he's either with or been abducted by one of his listed musical cohorts?

:rolleyes:

Obviously, I hope Stephens is found unharmed.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway...

Been listening to a bunch of (well... three or four) Balance Point Acoustics releases, a label owned by bassist Damon Smith.

I'm finding the Happymakers occasionally interesting but overall not to be recommended as it's difficult to not find yourself stifling a yawn near the end. Better is a sense of hearing, a (mostly) duet between Smith and vocalist Carol Genetti (or should I say, carol genetti, as BPA is fond of doing that lower-case thang). Surprisingly interesting for much of the way. Last four tracks are live with fRED lONBERG-hOLM ( :rolleyes: ) added and that is where things falter. Too bad...

Best (so far) and highly recommended is the sale of tickets for money was abolished, featuring Tony Bevan (bass sax), Damon Smith (bass) and Scott R. Looney (prepared piano and live electronics). But you say you HATE electronics? Well, Mr. Looney may make a convert of you as his contributions -- both on piano but especially on those electronic gizmos -- are very well integrated into the whole sound. Nice. :tup

~~~~~~~~~~~

Never did get an answer to my e-mail to Leo Feigin as to the controversy over the downloading of Leo releases.

I asked a question in a civil manner and did not receive the courtesy of a response.

I believe I'll be steering clear of Leo releases for the foreseeable future.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, I've read over the generous EMANEM recommendations, spent (too much) time purusing the EMANEM site wanting to get a list together so that I could place an order before their sale ends.

Here's what I've decided to order:

:mellow:

I believe I'm allowing myself to be intimidated by the S I Z E of the catalog. Still plenty of time to decide. :(

~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't think we ever discussed Tano. I am not familiar with his music. Any recommendations?

I too am unfamiliar with Tano. (Couple of sound samples here.) (I'll bet John knows his work.)

Dead at age 44. Very sad. From what I've just read, he seems to have been a nice guy.

~~~~~~~~~~~

So, Dexter's Cigar recently reissued Derek Bailey's Aida... and their site is now listing it as out-of-print. CD Universe is showing it as backordered. Amazon has it. Do does Squidco.

Anyone interested might be wise to get it NOW.

Edited by Chaney