Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Guest Chaney

I just remembered that I have Ninh on La Voyelle Liquide, a disk that I run hot (well, lukewarm) and cold on.

Any chance you're listening to this one right now?

33319.jpg

:blush:

Edited by Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Chaney

Sad news from Jan Strom over on the JC:

Per Henrik Wallin died last week in Stockholm.

Per Henrik Wallin has been a kind of cult figure on the Swedish jazz scene for many years.

He has during the last years been quite active in Sweden with his quartet and also with his big band and he has also become more and more recognized internationally after the release of his two trio recordings; “The Stockholm Tapes” on Ayler and “Burning in Stockholm” on Atavistic.

Per Henrik was 58 year old. He played a concert just 4 days before he died. He was bocked at Jazz Club Fasching for a quartet gig on July 2.

Sad news from Jan Strom over on the JC:

Per Henrik Wallin died last week in Stockholm.

Per Henrik Wallin has been a kind of cult figure on the Swedish jazz scene for many years.

He has during the last years been quite active in Sweden with his quartet and also with his big band and he has also become more and more recognized internationally after the release of his two trio recordings; “The Stockholm Tapes” on Ayler and “Burning in Stockholm” on Atavistic.

Per Henrik was 58 year old. He played a concert just 4 days before he died. He was bocked at Jazz Club Fasching for a quartet gig on July 2.

Sad news, indeed.

Do we know what was the cause of the death?

Guest Chaney

I'm just now listening to (and enjoying!) One More Time (Leo) with Steve Lacy and Joelle Leandre.

This is from the liner notes:

In 2002 Steve Lacy decided to return to the USA.  His way of saying farewell to Europe was a series of ten concerts which took place in different parts of Belguim with different partners.  The concerts were organized and promoted by his loyal fans and friends with whom Lacy felt at ease and could express himself fully.  For the concert in Gent his friends invited a Japanese dancer Shiro Daimon.  In Brussels there was free music with Fred Van Hove and the Art Song with Irene Aebi.  In a chapel in Gent there was another concert with a classical violinist Michail Bezverkhny.  In cafe Belga in Brussels there was a very warm dialogue One More Time with improviser Joelle Leandre.  Irene Aebi performed a second poem cycle in gasthof Heidelberg (Brugge).  There were solo concerts as well in Mons and Brussels.  The cycle of concerts closed in Antwerp at the Free Music Festival with a duo with Frederic Rzewski.  This cycle of concerts is documented by Rita De Vuyst who produced an edition "Blossoms".  It is a square album in a wooden cover containing notes to the concerts, drawings, photographs, 5 CDs and one DVD with the dancer Shiro Daimon.  The box can be seen at http://www.afkikker.be/ and is available from  Rita De Vuyst, Sint-Kwintensberg 52, Gent, Belguim, e-mail: info@afkikker.be.

From the site, it looks like this set is still in production. I'm e-mailing Rita asking for its status and eventual cost.

Guest Chaney

I am now listening to this disc:

d24682ulf1m.jpg

Mujician - Colours Fulfilled

featuring Tony Levin, Keith Tippett, Paul Dunmall and Paul Rogers.  Fantastic music!  Not as fiery and furious as I had expected.  There are some wild moments but, so far (track #2) I have a great sense of a huge power barely kept restrained, as if they are ready to explode at a moments notice.  Very interesting music and great playing. 

:tup

Friends, this is some great and very original music played by some of the most impressive musicians out there (I still have some reservations aboutr Dunmall - he is good, but probably the least original of the foursome, at least on tenor - his bagpipes are something else). Highly recommended. Tony, it is not that brutal, really.

Heh-heh...

Listening to Ghostly Thoughts right now.

What I may have first heard as violent I'd simply describe as three musicians sometimes playing very fast.

Ghostly Thoughts: :tup

Oh gawd: the entire Dunmall catalogue has now opened its welcoming arms. YIKES!

What I may have first heard as violent I'd simply describe as three musicians sometimes playing very fast.

Ghostly Thoughts:tup

Oh gawd:  the entire Dunmall catalogue has now opened its welcoming arms.  YIKES!

I hated that one, a feeling that increased with every listen... Sold it ages ago.

Ghostly Thoughts:   :tup

Oh gawd:  the entire Dunmall catalogue has now opened its welcoming arms.  YIKES!

I hated that one, a feeling that increased with every listen... Sold it ages ago.

Oh! - timely reminder to search for John Adams/Mark Sanders duo CDs (if such exist).

Guest Chaney

It's just 72 CDs - you can make it, Tony.

It's easier than that as only 42 are in stock. :tup(I'll never get to Europe!) :crazy:

Hans: I remember you and I were on the same page with Ghostly Thoughts. The, ahem, energetic playing initially turned me off and I believe it was the same for you. How much of a factor for you was the presence of the guitar? I like the guitar of John Adams as it's played very cleanly.

Hans:  I remember you and I were on the same page with Ghostly Thoughts.  The, ahem, energetic playing initially turned me off and I believe it was the same for you.  How much of a factor for you was the presence of the guitar?  I like the guitar of John Adams as it's played very cleanly.

The presence of the guitar was a major factor, but so far as I can remember I didn't like Dunmall's playing either.

Guest Chaney

Oh! - timely reminder to search for John Adams/Mark Sanders duo CDs (if such exist).

I'm not sure if you're serious but if you are and you find these lads together as a duo on a disk, let me know as they're pretty amazing on Ghostly Thoughts with, but especially without, Dunmall.

Edited by Chaney

I'm not sure if you're serious but if you are and you find these lads together as a duo on a disk, let me know as they're pretty amazing on Ghostly Thoughts with, but especially without, Dunmall.

Absolutely serious. I think Ghostly Thoughts is a solid disc, but it would have been terrific were it an Adams/Sanders duo (as Dunmall is the most predictable and "traditional" of the three). I summarized my feelings about the disc in this post merely a year ago - and you seem to have forgotten already!

Edited by Д.Д.

Guest Chaney

Get OUT! How'd you manage to insert that post to make it look as though you were way ahead of me on this one? I know: you deleted a post and then inserted this just-composed one.

:blink:

Excellent post. As is so often the case, you were (are) spot -on. :tup

NOW FIND US SOME Sanders / Adams!

~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of guitar, just realized that I never listened to my recentlly purchased copy of Derek Bailey's Aida. Think I'll pull that one off the shelf... but first, Inscape - Tableaux

~~~~~~~~~~~

Watch this............ WELCOME TO THE BOARD, sashabur! :party:

Edited by Chaney

Get OUT!  How'd you manage to insert that post to make it look as though you were way ahead of me on this one?  I know: you deleted a post and then inserted this just-composed one. 

:blink:

Excellent post.  As is so often the case, you were (are) spot -on.  :tup

NOW FIND US SOME Sanders / Adams!

~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Speaking of guitar, just realized that I never listened to my recentlly purchased copy of Derek Bailey's Aida.  Think I'll pull that one off the shelf... but first, Inscape - Tableaux.

I am looking for an hour now (instead of planned relaxing evening promenade) - does not seam to exist. If anybody has Messrs. Sanders' and Adams' e-mails, let me know.

Greetings! I've just joined, so have nothing to say for the moment :)

But if you feel like having a look at a few pictures of Marco Eneidi from his recent Russian tour, here they are. Seeing him live is my most recent positive experience of free music.

As far as Dunmall, I only heard Ghostly Thoughts and Hit and Run (and liked the latter more, but it's just me - for the rest of the world GT wins :)