Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Guest Chaney

Anyone familiar with the John Law discs they have?

Not me.

FMR is one of those labels that has so many offerings that I don't really feel that I have the energy (apparently, like David) to search through the site, read online reviews... do what it takes in order to make an informed buying decision. (Lazy bastard!) Much easier to cope with smaller labels. Interested in Potlatch? 21 titles? Jon / Erstwhile has half of them and at a good price? Potlatch is having a June sale? Easy decision: I'll buy them all. Hope my easy decision doesn't turn out to be a foolish decision.

There's an eBay shopkeeper (mtnwad jazz) selling a bunch of FMR titles -- including three by Law -- at pretty good prices.

Edited by Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interested in Potlatch?  21 titles?  Jon / Erstwhile has half of them and at a good price?  Potlatch is having a June sale?  Easy decision:  I'll buy them all.  Hope my easy decision doesn't turn out to be a foolish decision.

please post your thoughts once you have a chance to listen to them. I'd like to read your impressions before deciding if I am going to order any more titles.

Alright, now how about Potlatch?

On my list are:

- 1 and 4 98 (that is Bailey/Léandre and Lazro/Zingaro)

- 2 each from 00, 01 (Parker/Rowe and Butcher/Charles/Dörner)

- 1 from 02 (Lazro/Zingaro/Léandre/Lovens)

- 2 and 3 from 03 (Blondy/Ninh and Rives)

What about the van Hove (2/3 98) and Bailey/Lacy (2 99) and Doneda/Leimgruber/Rowe (3 02)? Anyone can recommend them, too?

Or anyone wants to warn me from any of the items on the list?

Potlatch has so many wonderful / intriguing combinations of players, how could they possibly be bad?

:(

:rsly:

Doing some auto-therapy Tony?

I also keep persuading myself that I will enjoy Cold Blue new age stuff.

----------------------

FMR deal is actually quite good - you get 9 CDs for €79 with very reasonable shipping fees.

Potlatch has so many wonderful / intriguing combinations of players, how could they possibly be bad?

----------------------

FMR deal is actually quite good - you get 9 CDs for €79 with very reasonable shipping fees.

c'mon fellas, stop your auto-therapies, answer my questions! Not all of these discs have been mentioned here or elsewhere, so I wonder if anyone has anything new to share!

----------------------

c'mon fellas, stop your auto-therapies, answer my questions! Not all of these discs have been mentioned here or elsewhere, so I wonder if anyone has anything new to share!

I got most of them, but haven't listened yet. I will listen to at least one tonight.

As mentioned many times, I have heard only Lazro/Zingaro and Blondy/Ninh and they are both outstanding, really.

I got most of them, but haven't listened yet. I will listen to at least one tonight.

As mentioned many times, I have heard only Lazro/Zingaro and Blondy/Ninh and they are both outstanding, really.

Thanks! I once saw Ninh live and he was un-feghing-believeable, I tell you! That was in a trio with that chinese sheng/erhu whatever playing lady, Xu Fengxia, and some german violinist (Gunda Gottschalk) who was pretty annoying, but Ninh himself puts on such a great show and does such incredible sh*tte with his bass drum that the whole thing ended up being mighty impressive if only for his participation! (That was at an earlier Taktlos, btw.)

off current topic, but I heard Noah Howard's At Judson Hall (ESP) for the first time last night. I really enjoyed it. In my opinion it was more interesting than the disc on Ayler, although it does have something of the typical "late 1960's free jazz blow out" to it. Two tracks, each just over 18 minutes long. The sound quality was servicable, but I was listening to an emusic download, so I can't comment on the actual release itself.

c408520g718.jpg

Edited by John B

Check the PAUL DUNMALL QUARTET: LOVE WARMTH AND COMPASSION on FMR, one of the best DUNMALL ever.

DRAKE is the drummer and it's his first encounter with DUNMALL where he prooves that he fits absolutely perfectly with the band (add PAUL ROGERS & PHIL GIBBS.)

Thanks for posting about this one--I'd never even heard of it, but I was near Jazz Record Mart last night and there it was--and I couldn't resist that lineup.

Check the PAUL DUNMALL QUARTET: LOVE WARMTH AND COMPASSION on FMR, one of the best DUNMALL ever.

DRAKE is the drummer and it's his first encounter with DUNMALL where he prooves that he fits absolutely perfectly with the band (add PAUL ROGERS & PHIL GIBBS.)

Thanks for posting about this one--I'd never even heard of it, but I was near Jazz Record Mart last night and there it was--and I couldn't resist that lineup.

Let us know what you think of it!

off current topic, but I heard Noah Howard's At Judson Hall (ESP) for the first time last night.  I really enjoyed it.  In my opinion it was more interesting than the disc on Ayler, although it does have something of the typical "late 1960's free jazz blow out" to it. Two tracks, each just over 18 minutes long. The sound quality was servicable, but I was listening to an emusic download, so I can't comment on the actual release itself.

c408520g718.jpg

Get the one on Boxholder with Kenny Clarke - not very "out", but a good one.

Alright, now how about Potlatch?

On my list are:

- 1 and 4 98 (that is Bailey/Léandre and Lazro/Zingaro)

- 2 each from 00, 01 (Parker/Rowe and Butcher/Charles/Dörner)

- 1 from 02 (Lazro/Zingaro/Léandre/Lovens)

- 2 and 3 from 03 (Blondy/Ninh and Rives)

What about the van Hove (2/3 98) and Bailey/Lacy (2 99) and Doneda/Leimgruber/Rowe (3 02)? Anyone can recommend them, too?

Or anyone wants to warn me from any of the items on the list?

ubu - Bailey/Leandre is a good one, even though I was hoping to like that even more based on what I'd read. I'm somewhat familiar with the output of each of these musicians and I think it's fair to say this is what you would expect, though if we have to, I'd say Leandre defers more often to Bailey (unlike, say, Lacy on the Lacy/Bailey Potlatch disc).

I haven't heard the one you note but have been consistently impressed by what Zingaro I've heard.

Butcher/Charles/Dorner is very good, highly recommended. As is the Rives disc. I do not know how I would describe the music on these two but they're both closer to eai aesthetics, with the second one even more so while the first one also has traces of British/SME free-improv, if only for the spontaneous and very active interaction.

Bailey/Lacy - I remember enjoying a fair bit too, though I think I might be in the minority on that. It's not what you would call a natural fit as both guys do their thing but, if I remember correctly, Lacy does secure some overt melodic playing and near-comping by Bailey. Anyway, I'd been meaning to go back to it for quite a time, I'll try doing just that tomorrow.

I have not heard the other on your list, though let me note that the Parker/Rowe is generally quite highly regarded and I've been meaning to get myself for a rather long time now.

Guest Chaney

There's no avoiding it: SOMEDAY these mellow musical beauties -- as performed by some of the most sensitive men and women on this (or any) planet -- will be removed from my shelf, dusted off and placed lovingly into a well-cushioned box, and, with the able assistance of the United States Postal Service, sent to you -- whereverthehellyoumightbelivingatthetime -- for your assured enjoyment.

Your review of each and every Cadaver Blue title will then be mandatory.

(CRIPES! 20 POTLATCH TITLES! I ORDERED 20 POTLATCH TITLES! WHAT THE F*CK WAS I THINKING?!)

Guest Chaney

With Rowe?  HOW can you pass up that trio...

:rofl:

I won't talk to you anymore before you buy "Funny Rat" back and make me an offer (or just send it as a gift - minimum of rat-solidarity, that would have been!)

If only I had known that you didn't have it, I would have sent it to you.

Honestly, it's not very good.