For the fans of Italain jazz: just released on Black Saint

TIZIANO TONONI & THE ORNETTIANS "PEACE WARRIORS"

TIZIANO TONONI - DRUMS, PERCUSSION, GONG

DANIELE CAVALLANTI - TENOR SAXOPHONE

ACHILLE SUCCI - ALTO SAXOPHONE

EMANUELE PARRINI - VIOLIN

GIOVANNI MAIER - BASS (LEFT CHANNEL)

PIERO LEVERATTO - BASS (RIGHT CHANNEL)

All but one compositions by Ornette Coleman.

Just noticed this announcement on the ECM website:

April 13 , 2005

ECM and Rune go separate ways

ECM has ended its relationship with Rune Grammofon, the Norwegian experimental label it supported for five years and, indeed, put on the map in many territories. Rune discs will no longer be available through ECM distribution channels, including this web site. Now RG will make its way in the world with the aid of a distribution network whose details can be viewed at www.runegrammofon.com. We wish the company and its artists luck, fame and fortune in this new period, if that is not a misguided blessing for a label that issued an anthology entitled “Money Will Ruin Everything”. Those Rune artists who previously recorded, in diverse contexts, also for ECM, are likely to continue to do so. Arve Henriksen and Nils Økland, for instance are on Christian Wallumrød’s great new ECM album, “A Year From Easter”, and are currently touring with the Wallumrød Ensemble.

To add a bit to the Henry Grimes saga...

Just finished a first listen to Grimes set from the 2004 Tampere festival in Finland, with Khan Jamal, Jemel Moondoc, and Hamid Drake.

Very good set, not as free as the Crispell-Grimes-Cyrille trio, but all the better so!

Jamal is great, Moondoc, too, and Drake - wtf, is that man a funk drummer or what? Fits in nicely here, but he does indeed very often play generic funk and fusion beats (you know, like the hi-hat stuff that Tony does on "In A Silent Way", just - of course... it's Drake - more intricate).

Well, whatever Drake is (not that great a drummer as he seems to be, from what one hears about him, but that's just my opinion), this set is quite good! A nice blend of sound, too, with as-vib-b-d, and Grimes is mixed normally, not so ridiculously loud as he was when I saw the trio. Also he is playing more walking stuff and does not try to do flashy stuff that may (or may not) end up in boring fumbling and fuzzy sounds.

Just noticed this announcement on the ECM website:

April 13 , 2005

ECM and Rune go separate ways

ECM has ended its relationship with Rune Grammofon, the Norwegian experimental label it supported for five years and, indeed, put on the map in many territories. Rune discs will no longer be available through ECM distribution channels, including this web site. Now RG will make its way in the world with the aid of a distribution network whose details can be viewed at www.runegrammofon.com. We wish the company and its artists luck, fame and fortune in this new period, if that is not a misguided blessing for a label that issued an anthology entitled “Money Will Ruin Everything”. Those Rune artists who previously recorded, in diverse contexts, also for ECM, are likely to continue to do so. Arve Henriksen and Nils Økland, for instance are on Christian Wallumrød’s great new ECM album, “A Year From Easter”, and are currently touring with the Wallumrød Ensemble.

That's a bit of a shame, hopefully Rune Grammofon will be able to reach out as far int the future. I've always considered their releases to be more interesting than stuff put out by ECM as of late.

So I'm pretty sure they were mentioned and recommended here before but if you feel like listening to some very strong small ensemble free jazz (though beware that the music is based around compositions - and pretty intricate ones at that) seek out Kollaps (Red Toucan) and Spectral Reflections (Leo) by Frank Gratkowski Quartet. I haven't yet heard their most recent, Facio (also on Leo), but will do so soon. Though I recommend both of these strong discs, in excellent sound to boot, Spectral Reflections is decidedly the better of the two.

One Final Note review of Kollaps, by Jason Bivins

Nate Dorward's review of Kollaps

Kollaps at Gratkowski's homepage - some samples and excerpts of praises by Cadence and AMG

The Penguin Guide, 7th edition, gives Kollaps 4 stars.

Dusted Magazine's review of Spectral Reflections, by Jason Bivins

Walter Horn raved about Spectral Reflections in his Cadence/Paris Transatlantic review.

The Penguin Guide, 7th edition, gave 3,5 stars to Spectral Reflections. The AMG awards 4 stars, the review is by Francois Couture.

Finally, Andy Hamilton gave Spectral Reflections a full thumbs up, near rave, in his review (2003 July, the Wire).

So I'm pretty sure they were mentioned and recommended here before but if you feel like listening to some very strong small ensemble free jazz (though beware that the music is based around compositions - and pretty intricate ones at that) seek out Kollaps (Red Toucan) and Spectral Reflections (Leo) by Frank Gratkowski Quartet. I haven't yet heard their most recent, Facio (also on Leo), but will do so soon. Though I recommend both of these strong discs, in excellent sound to boot, Spectral Reflections is decidedly the better of the two.

Kollaps at Gratkowski's homepage - some samples and excerpts of praises by Cadence and AMG

Walter Horn raved about Spectral Reflections in his Cadence/Paris Transatlantic review.

The Penguin Guide, 7th edition, gave 3,5 stars to Spectral Reflections. The AMG awards 4 stars, the review is by Francois Couture.

Finally, Andy Hamilton gave Spectral Reflections a full thumbs up, near rave, in his review (2003 July, the Wire).

Thanks for the reminder! I know I should check out some Gratkowski... in fact that goes back to when I first met David - he played some in the car, on the way to hear the awesome Barry Guy New Orchestra and after that... the Gratkowski quartet, of course (which was rather bland, though I liked the partial broadcast of the concert a bit better than the actual concert... may have to do with the fact that following up Guy's gang that night was an incredibly hard task!)

Guest Chaney

Wow, looks like the Hamid Drake backlash continues.

One day he's amazing, the next he's not.

C'mon folks. Kinda old school but for what he does, he's pretty darned awesome. Just not the most creative player on the scene.

That being said, the funk thang is disturbing.

(Only natural, I suppose, to see players as same old same old after a while.)

Dedicated to Dan:

5,000 (not at all funny... and no rodents) POSTS!

:party:

Д.Д. 1238

king ubu 860

John B 776

Chaney 654

J.A.W. 308

Nate Dorward 131

gnhrtg 124

couw 106

jon abbey 88

Gary 87

P.L.M 76

Geoff 71

7/4 53

Clunky 49

brownie 44

Matthew 44

alankin 31

Late 26

David Ayers 23

clifford_thornton 21

Chuck Nessa 19

Steve Reynolds 17

EKE BBB 16

blake 15

Martin 11

rockefeller center 10

cannonball-addict 10

AmirBagachelles 7

Jazzmoose 5

jgthomas 5

JohnS 5

sonic1 5

WD45 4

alejo 4

Jim Dye 4

Rob C 4

catesta 4

Bright Moments 4

ghost of miles 3

Red 3

.:.impossible 2

shrugs 2

Swinger 2

Joe Christmas 2

Brandon Burke 2

randyhersom 2

John L 2

Adam 1

mgraham333 1

jazzbo 1

KOB 1

Peter 1

JSngry 1

dangme 1

Craig23 1

Claude 1

Big Wheel 1

Leeway 1

DavidM 1

SEK 1

ejp626 1

fent99 1

bison ravi 1

uli 1

RDK 1

jasonguthartz 1

Chalupa 1

wolff 1

Jacques Oger 1

:o

I hardly post here anymore and I'm still in fifth place?? What's the matter with you guys?

C'mon folks.  Kinda old school but for what he does, he's pretty darned awesome.  Just not the most creative player on the scene.

Uh... not to take my earlier statement back, but: what I mean is: Drake is being hailed as drummer's messiah or whatever, and that he is not. That's what I meant. He is simply a good drummer, among many others, not the best of them all and so sensationally great! See what I mean?

That said, I like most of the recordings (and live sets) I have with him!

Thanks for the reminder! I know I should check out some Gratkowski... in fact that goes back to when I first met David - he played some in the car, on the way to hear the awesome Barry Guy New Orchestra and after that... the Gratkowski quartet, of course (which was rather bland, though I liked the partial broadcast of the concert a bit better than the actual concert... may have to do with the fact that following up Guy's gang that night was an incredibly hard task!)

Facio is the best of the three, IMO. The music is a bit dry, but very intriguingly organized. Really good sound quality.

398.jpg

Gratkowski quartet was indeed quite bland that night - I also gather that playing right after Barry Guy and the bosy is a bit discouraging.

Edited by Д.Д.

Guest Chaney

Can't believe this is only my 2nd post to this thread!  Can any body direcxt me to the Hamid Drake bashing thread?  I dig him and am curious.  Thanks.

Hi Peter,

There's neither a thread nor a great wave of Drake discontent. There's simply been a few comments that I didn't quite understand. I now understand those comments.

No biggie.

C'mon folks.  Kinda old school but for what he does, he's pretty darned awesome.  Just not the most creative player on the scene.

Uh... not to take my earlier statement back, but: what I mean is: Drake is being hailed as drummer's messiah or whatever, and that he is not. That's what I meant. He is simply a good drummer, among many others, not the best of them all and so sensationally great! See what I mean?

That said, I like most of the recordings (and live sets) I have with him!

Flurin:  Gotcha.  And I agree.

Agree too.

I have Drake's duo with Michael Zerang (whos playing I like a lot) somewhere - might be the time to listen to it finally.

Actualy no, I'd rather listen to Zerang/Strid (ubu, Strid is the drummer who we saw with Barry Guy) duo on Penumbra.

I don't know about "most creative player on the scene," but Hamid rocks my world. I really enjoy just about every recording I have with him on it.

In case someone's interested, there's a Brotzmann Octet/Tentet Okka 3 disc set up at ebay - ends in two days.

I know the seller of that set. He is a really good guy. (if you read Signal to Noise, Dusted or One Final Note you have most likely read some of his reviews.)

Yes, I thought the ebey username was transparent enough but from what I've seen of/dealt with Jason, he is a very nice person.

Some more on music: I recently got the new Barry Guy New Orchestra disc, Oort-Entropy (same lineup as on Inscape-Tableux but with Agusti Fernandez in Crispell's place, upon the latter's recommendation), consists of three long-ish sections with many of Guy's by now signature music making components/tools and I understand from the liner notes that parts of each section draw from compositions that appear on the two discs by the Guy/Crispell/Lytton trio. Each section is preambled, I believe that was the very word Guy uses in describing them, by bass/reed duets - first with Koch, then Parker, and finally with Gustafsson.

I've only given the disc two cursory spins so far but (1) it's very nicely though a little too closely recorded for my taste, the engineer is neither Pfister nor Pearson - don't have the disc handy, sorry, (2) overall, the immediate impressions are somewhere in between, some great moments here and there though.

Anyway will try to say more about how I like the music after another spin.

Meanwhile I suggest you all spin Fizzles (on Maya) for some amazing solo Guy.

I don't know about "most creative player on the scene," but Hamid rocks my world. I really enjoy just about every recording I have with him on it.

Agreed. I've seen him when he came with FRED ANDERSON in 1978 in Moers.

The guy was already amazing.

Check the PAUL DUNMALL QUARTET: LOVE WARMTH AND COMPASSION on FMR, one of the best DUNMALL ever.

DRAKE is the drummer and it's his first encounter with DUNMALL where he prooves that he fits absolutely perfectly with the band (add PAUL ROGERS & PHIL GIBBS.)

After all, he was the drummer who have boost seriously the career of PETER BRÖTZMANN at the beginning of the nineties.

Hope his collaboration with DUNMALL will continued.

He likes to play groove and funk alright (and he does it better than most) but he can be also be FREE as hell.

And he is a great guy to meet and talk. Hugh!