Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my favorite Necks record is Aquatic.

I tried recently to get them to do a quartet disc with Axel Dorner for Erstwhile, but it doesn't look like that will happen, at least for Erstwhile, possibly on their own label. I'm honestly not totally convinced by them as a trio, either live or on record, but I think this quartet could be superb.

That would have been (could still be) a very interesting pairing. Do you think (hypothetically) that someone like Fennesz would work well with the Necks? I could see his more ambient laptop / guitar work fitting in nicely with their aesthetic, but I have no knowledge of the personalities involved, so I'm not sure it would be succesfull.

yeah, Fennesz could work also, although it's not as natural a fit. Tony Buck lives in the same building as Axel in Berlin, and the two have already made a duo record.

from my perspective, the Necks desperately need to be knocked out of their eternal trio groove and forced to react to a new situation. their trio is simply too easy and predictable, which I understand is what many people like about it and why they've built up a relatively big fan base. they don't seem particularly interested in doing so, though, at least not with my help, so I've moved on.

Guest Chaney

Speaking of accordion music ( :blink: )...

Flurin: You mentioned that you're a fan of the instrument. Anything you'd care to recommend?

David: Anything with an Italian flavor that you've run across?

Anyone / everyone else?

welcome.jpg

Tony, give this one a try:

B0006TN9H6.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

One of my favourite recent discs!

Nate mentioned the new Saluzzi being good, but I haven't yet checked it out.

Then there's the italians... Trovesi made a couple of duo discs with Gianni Coscia, but I only have one so far (on Egea), plus a live set.

Also Gabriele Mirabassi plays with the fisa player Luciano Biondini (I got a live set of them with Michel Godard - fantastic stuff!).

Check out the Galliano first, it's a treat!

Speaking of accordion music ( :blink: )...

Flurin: You mentioned that you're a fan of the instrument.  Anything you'd care to recommend? 

David:  Anything with an Italian flavor that you've run across?

Anyone / everyone else?

I would reitireta my recommendation for Guyvoronski / Petrova duo disc, as well for Petrova solo disc, both on Leo. Petrova is a monster accordeonist. Not Italian, though.

395.jpg

For Italian, there is Antonello Salis, a rerlatively well-known "out" accordeopnist (also plays quite Cecil-ish piano), but I have to go beck to his (many) records to be able to recommend anything specifically. He has a trio accordion record with abovementioned Richard Galliano and some traditional Italian accordeaon player - when I get back home, I'll listen to it (tried once long time ago, and was not too impressed).

Both Enjas are releasing one accordeaon CD per month. Gotta check some of them out.

FOr an accordeon-related instruments (bandoneon, in this case), you know Astor Piazzolla, I assume?

Edited by Д.Д.

Guest Chaney

Thanks gents! I'll definitely search out those titles. (Ruby, My Dear seems to be hard to find. OOP?)

I'm a bit short on cash right now as Jon, abetted by his henchman Chris, forced me to place an order for nine Potlatch titles. (While I was lukeworm on Madly You, after a FOURTH listen, I'm in :wub: . I believe I'll also be sending Jacques some dough before the month is out.)

I was searching the web, ran across Carl Rüdiger, which led me HERE (turn down the sound as there's some of that god-awful free jazz playing!) and THIS page, which led me to the site of the Swedish label Häpna, which led me to reading and listening to sound samples...

FOr an accordeon-related instruments (bandoneon, in this case), you know Astor Piazzolla, I assume?
Umm... no. :blush: Edited by Chaney

For an accordeon-related instruments (bandoneon, in this case), you know Astor Piazzolla, I assume?
Umm... no. :blush:

Piazzolla is considered to be the reinventor of Argentenian tango. Hundreds of CDs (mostly compilations, actually), most probably far from essential, but this one I can highly recommend (check out the samples): Astor Piazzolla "Tango: Zero Hour"

Edited by Д.Д.

I was searching the web, ran across Carl Rüdiger, which led me HERE (turn down the sound as there's some of that god-awful free jazz playing!) and THIS page, which led me to the site of the Swedish label Häpna, which led me to reading and listening to sound samples...
The Carl/Johansson duo has been a well established group in the European free improv scene for many years. Their 1997 concert series in Sweden yielded two more CDs (CDRs, that is), out on Johansson's own label: "Stockholm 97" and "At Galleri Anders Tornberg". Both are somewhat better than I expected, and sound quality is quite ok.

I would also recommend the Petrova disc on Leo. I enjoy the program a lot even though I'm not a fan of the accordion (have nothing against it either).

Ruby, My Dear has just been released, though I think it's on Dreyfus the distribution of which I know not much - easy to find here in Frace though, so let me know if you have difficulty tracking it down, or try amazon.fr.

Finally, there's also Teodoro Anzellotti who is not a jazz accordionist, let's say, but who has recorded quite a few albums for Winter & Winter (and I'll shortly spin his and Luk Vaes's recording of Kagel's soloworks for accordion and piano). He's also recorded the accordion piece on Berio's Sequenzas, if you care. I'll hopefully get around to posting how I like the Kagel disc but he has also recorded works by Cage, Janacek, and Scarlatti (!) even, I think - a disc each out where he performs compositions by each of those gents.

Oh, and, yes you do know, king ubu, that Richard Galliano will perform with his trio at the North Sea Jazz festival, yes? I'm looking forward to that, he's also guesting, along with Michael Moore, on a concert by a vocalist whose name escapes me.

another :tup on the Guyvoronski / Petrova - I recently posted about it, after finally giving it a spin. A very nice disc!

About Piazolla - man! You're in for a treat, I tell you! I'm far from being knowledgeable, myself, but the couple of live sets I have I love! Both have those de Lempicka tasteless sell-out covers, but the music is great!

Guest Chaney

Thanks for the link, Alan. I just pre-ordered that baby.

I wish it were easier to get the Petrova, short of spending big bucks ordering it from Leo. Very tempted to do the OGG thang but I don't want to be bothered with the obligatory computer aggravation.

Guest Chaney

Dedicated to Dan:

5,000 (not at all funny... and no rodents) POSTS!

:party:

Д.Д. 1238

king ubu 860

John B 776

Chaney 654

J.A.W. 308

Nate Dorward 131

gnhrtg 124

couw 106

jon abbey 88

Gary 87

P.L.M 76

Geoff 71

7/4 53

Clunky 49

brownie 44

Matthew 44

alankin 31

Late 26

David Ayers 23

clifford_thornton 21

Chuck Nessa 19

Steve Reynolds 17

EKE BBB 16

blake 15

Martin 11

rockefeller center 10

cannonball-addict 10

AmirBagachelles 7

Jazzmoose 5

jgthomas 5

JohnS 5

sonic1 5

WD45 4

alejo 4

Jim Dye 4

Rob C 4

catesta 4

Bright Moments 4

ghost of miles 3

Red 3

.:.impossible 2

shrugs 2

Swinger 2

Joe Christmas 2

Brandon Burke 2

randyhersom 2

John L 2

Adam 1

mgraham333 1

jazzbo 1

KOB 1

Peter 1

JSngry 1

dangme 1

Craig23 1

Claude 1

Big Wheel 1

Leeway 1

DavidM 1

SEK 1

ejp626 1

fent99 1

bison ravi 1

uli 1

RDK 1

jasonguthartz 1

Chalupa 1

wolff 1

Jacques Oger 1

Edited by Chaney

Just gave this little puppy a first spin:

B000069KIK.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I really like it! Got it thanks to gnhrtg and the pay-it-forward thread (and David's - you know, the fella who wrote 25% of the posts in this thread ;) - recommendation pushed me over the edge to ask for it in that thread).

Puschnig and Dickbauer on various reeds (plus flute by Puschnig and little instruments by both) make a great match, Godard goes all over his feghing tuba - that guy is mad, I tell you! Herbert Joos adds some nice touches on trumpet, too.

Funny to hear this kind of songs being interpreted in a "jazzy" way, with improvisation, ostinati, grooves, funny stuff etc. These songs are rather similar to some swiss folk songs and traditional songs, so somehow there is always some kind of natural reluctancy to deal with this (most of the folk music in Switzerland and Germany and Austria being nothing but an ugly, television-compatible, sell-out that has nothing to do with folk traditions, but everything with how to make big $$ with the stupidity of backwards-minded people with little brains...). However, this disc just blows all these potential drawbacks away within the first couple of bars...

Thanks for the link, Alan.  I just pre-ordered that baby.

I wish it were easier to get the Petrova, short of spending big bucks ordering it from Leo.

Tony, as I mentioned, Leo Feigin is very flexible with discounts and shipping fee is merely symbolic.

Looking at forum stats, 1/4 of posts in the Recommendations forum is in the Funny Rat. This place is not as backward as I though two years ago.

says the guy who's made 25 percent of the posts in the thread. :)

Your remark, good Sir, remided me that I haven't listened to any EA :rfr I stuff for quite a while - time to currupt the right, I guess.

Just gave this little puppy a first spin:

B000069KIK.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I really like it!

Glad you enjoyed it - this is an excellent disc. I would recommend our US friends try to get a hold of it.

Edited by Д.Д.