Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I must have missed something on the maren thread, the Funny Rat is so long I can't keep up with it.

sounds like an interesting show...

It seems some know here real name, some don't. That's all. Obviously those who do don't tell those who don't - which is part of the fun, it seems ;)

Guest Chaney

Thanks for the review, Flurin. Sounds like it was a pretty good show. I had a feeling that Powell would impress. :tup

It's a shame that so few were in attendance but that seems to not be unusual.

Thanks for the review, Flurin. Sounds like it was a pretty good show. I had a feeling that Powell would impress. :tup

It's a shame that so few were in attendance but that seems to not be unusual.

Well yes, no one but me was astonished about the small number of people (but I was at that location the very first time, so...). Here's a link to the programme of that place: http://www.wimmusic.ch/

I guess I'd actually like to see Schiaffini again (saw him once with the Instabile crew), but there's a singer, too...

However, please allow me to ask: what's the matter about Mateen? I got the duo he made with Hamid Drake lying around somewhere, but I can't remember if I have heard it or not. Here's the cover:

brothers.175.gif

Nothing. I don't find anything "wrong" with his playing. That being said, he is definitely not to everyone's taste. Let us know what you think once you have a chance to listen to Brothers Together. I pulled that one out last night and will listen to it in the next day or so.

Just finishing a listen to this one, I like it a lot! Mateen plays alto on the first cut, clarinet on the second and third, and flute plus alto on the last one. Drake is such a groovy swinging player!

Question re: Goodheart & Powell: has anyone got this disc they made with sax player Josh Allen? Goodheart mentioned it last night when I asked him if they had anything else out:

cover_goodheart.jpg

Guest Chaney

I guess I'd actually like to see Schiaffini again (saw him once with the Instabile crew), but there's a singer, too...

Alfred Zimmerlin on vocals. Not familiar with the man but I must say: I'd be much more receptive if the vocalist were a woman. :ph34r:

Guest Chaney

Question re: Goodheart & Powell: has anyone got this disc they made with sax player Josh Allen? Goodheart mentioned it last night when I asked him if they had anything else out:

cover_goodheart.jpg

I have it, it's very good and to be recommended. I was plugging this one a while back. Available directly from Road Cone for only $8.50. Can't go wrong.

This is the first recorded performance of Josh Allen and he does well. Won't blow you away but , I feel, he's a very solid player, at least from what I can tell after just this one disk.

However, please allow me to ask: what's the matter about Mateen? I got the duo he made with Hamid Drake lying around somewhere, but I can't remember if I have heard it or not. Here's the cover:

brothers.175.gif

Nothing. I don't find anything "wrong" with his playing. That being said, he is definitely not to everyone's taste.

You're absolutely right about that. I don't care for Mateen's playing; I have Sunny Murray's We Are Not at the Opera with Mateen (Eremite MTE014) and don't like it, and it seems I'm not alone: I've been trying to sell that one for ages and no one seems to be interested...

Alfred Zimmerlin on vocals. Not familiar with the man but I must say: I'd be much more receptive if the vocalist were a woman. :ph34r:

No Tony, it's a lady, the first one in the list, Schiavoni - never heard of her. Zimmerlin is a cellist (vcl - short for violoncello, I suppose, for Schiavoni it says voc, but one can hardly see the difference, indeed). Zimmerlin is also an much too enthusiast (and thus too forgiving) reviewer of new music and occasionally free improv stuff at the "Neue Zürcher Zeitung" (the newspaper that beats the NYTimes in those credibility polls... great old newspaper!). Further, Zimmerlin is on those Momentum discs on Leo Records (I only have Momentum II, but never really got drawn into it, I think I never even listened to all of it).

Thanks for the rec of that disc! I chatted a bit with Goodheart, too, and he seems to be a very kind guy! A very creative musician, though of these three the one falling into clichés most easily and often (though only a couple of times in a 90 or 100 minutes set, thus not a problem at all).

One thing to add on the Drake/Mateen disc: Mateen is definitely not the most subtle and sophisticated alto player. He's got a sound that comes (and goes) to the guts, and often is playing rather simple stuff. However, I liked his clarinet playing quite some, I have to say!

Something that may or may not be news to you: Gebbia just recorded a disk with Lukas Ligeti and a third fellow from the italian band Zu (never heard his name before, can't remember it either). I didn't ask on what label that recording will be released.

Also Gebbia will tour the US with Ligeti very soon.

Just found the entry on the new reocrding in the discography of his website:

THE WILLIAMSBURG SONATAS with Lukas Ligeti and Massimo Pupillo. Wallace records.

And here's the info on where he's playing in the next weeks:

April

15th Wuppertal Church Zen Widow

16 Koln- Zen Widow

23 with Lukas Ligeti and Audrey Chen @ Red Room Baltimore Usa

Starts The Williasmburg Sonatas Usa Tour:

24th @ Stonehouse New York City Usa

25th Philadelphia @Slought Foundation Usa

26th Pittsburg

28th Bloomington Indiana

29th Indianapolis

30th Chicago @3030

May

1st Louisville

2nd Atlanta @ eyedrum

3rd Athens @ Flicker theatre

4rth Greensboro @Gate city noise

8th New York City duo with Audrey Chen Cave of the tigers @ Downtown Music Gallery

11th -  Non euclidean variations 1 (The music of Eric Zann) with Lukas Ligeti@ ANGELICA festival Bologna

cover_goodheart.jpg

I have it, it's very good and to be recommended. I was plugging this one a while back. Available directly from Road Cone for only $8.50. Can't go wrong.

This is the first recorded performance of Josh Allen and he does well. Won't blow you away but , I feel, he's a very solid player, at least from what I can tell after just this one disk.

I'd disagree on this one. I though the alto player was really bland, Goodheart is not shining either and the whole thing sounded very forced and mannered to me. Go for the the Zen Widow disc.

Guest Chaney

I'd disagree on this one. I though the alto player was really bland, Goodheart is not shining either and the whole thing sounded very forced and mannered to me. Go for the the Zen Widow disc.

David, my friend: Your impression is almost exactly my impression after my first listen. Have you spun this one more than once? Reason I ask is that this one tends to sneak up on a listener. At least it did for me.

Not to make it sound as though you're not allowed to disagree. (I kinda like when we don't agree. ^_^ )

That being said, Zen Widow is better.

Edited by Chaney

Guest Chaney

Bagatellen has a new review of the live 12 cd  Vandermark 5 set posted now.  It's a nice review, although the reviewer has yet only listened to one of the 12 discs, which is kind of odd.  Even so, this has raised the set in my estimation, although probably not enough for me to actually buy a copy.

A review after listening to one disk? Derek is less reviewing the set than the circumstances surrounding its creation and release.

My opinion: Those that like Vandermark should get the set. (I wish I were one as I'd no doubt be wetting myself over this one.) Fence-sitters and others probably should not.

Hans: I've been wanting to get one (or more) of those Free Elephant disks but haven't been able to find them at (spoiled American ^_^ ) a reasonable price.