Uwe Oberg also has his own site.

Uwe Oberg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Listening to...

win.jpeg

Vinny Golia/George Cremaschi/Garth Powell

WIN THIS TIME

recorded by Garth Powell Jan 1998

9 tracks, 50 minutes, limited to 113 numbered copies.

Cost? A mere $10 but worth so much more.

Please, let those who have yet to discover this gem place an order NOW. Few copies remain and this title is just too wonderful NOT to be owned and devoured by the fine contributors to this thread and the open-eared of this board.

LIMITED SEDITION

VINNY GOLIA/GARTH POWELL/GEORGE CREMASCHI Win This Time CD [Limited Sedition]

Long has Vinny Golia been pushing air through all manner of brass and wind instruments, and long has this 25-year veteran of the LA improv scene gone undetected on most folks' radar screens. These very facts give me a suspicion that something sinister must be at play. The man's relative anonymity certainly isn't due to his being under-recorded because the multi-instrumentalist has over 70 releases in his discography. One would suspect that Golia's collaborations over the years with such notables as Anthony Braxton, John Carter, Bobby Bradford, Horace Tapscott, Bertram Turetzky, Barre Phillips, the Rova Saxophone Quartet, and even Patti Smith, would have heightened his profile, yet Golia remains anything but a household name.

Unfortunately, the limited nature of this CD-R release (113 copies) isn't likely to put his music in the hands of the uninitiated, and that's a sad fact that some of us are just going to have to live with. Win This Time features Golia with two of the San Francisco Bay Area's most exciting, young improvisers: Garth Powell on drums and George Cremaschi on bass. The trio play like they've been honing their sound for years, but I'd imagine the unit's overall coherence has more to do with each member's distinguished chops and their ability to listen to one another than the total number of hours spent in each others presence. Bringing to mind the rather disparate styles of Sam Rivers, Evan Parker, and Archie Shepp, Golia's playing is as powerful and stately, as it is idiosyncratic. Golia possesses the unique ability to play both in and out of the music's pulse, sometimes near simultaneously, which gives his blowing a responsive and angular feel - whether he's playing tenor, soprano, bass clarinet or flute. His unique style and sound allow him to assimilate his playing into a variety of different sonic contexts with what sounds like relative ease.

When the trio sets its mind on swinging, as on the awesome 'The People', Powell and Cremaschi's exhilarating beat provides a wonderful platform for Golia's fiery bellows. It's on this track and another called 'Love Us' that Golia's throaty tenor lines remind me of prime, '60s era Shepp. On more irregularly measured terrain ('You No Expendable', 'Like We Love', 'A Piano, 39¢ and a Philosophy (for Sonny Bono)'), the trio discusses the dynamics of the here and now in multi-timbred voices that drive their collective conversations to the furthest reaches of human interaction. Think of a would-be trio including Evan Parker, Johnny Dyani and Louis Moholo to get a sense of where Golia and crew navigate their vessel. On Win This Time, Golia, Powell, and Cremaschi have raised the bar of collective improvisation to a very impressive height. Of course, reading about their music will never be a substitute for actually hearing their music, and with that thought, I'm hoping you know where to take it from here. -Mike Trouchon, opprobrium

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Uwe Oberg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Listening to...

win.jpeg

Vinny Golia/George Cremaschi/Garth Powell

WIN THIS TIME

recorded by Garth Powell Jan 1998

9 tracks, 50 minutes, limited to 113 numbered copies.

Cost?  A mere $10 but worth so much more.

Please, let those who have yet to discover this gem place an order NOW.  Few copies remain and this title is just too wonderful NOT to be owned and devoured by the fine contributors to this thread and the open-eared of this board.

LIMITED SEDITION

VINNY GOLIA/GARTH POWELL/GEORGE CREMASCHI Win This Time CD [Limited Sedition]

Long has Vinny Golia been pushing air through all manner of brass and wind instruments, and long has this 25-year veteran of the LA improv scene gone undetected on most folks' radar screens. These very facts give me a suspicion that something sinister must be at play. The man's relative anonymity certainly isn't due to his being under-recorded because the multi-instrumentalist has over 70 releases in his discography. One would suspect that Golia's collaborations over the years with such notables as Anthony Braxton, John Carter, Bobby Bradford, Horace Tapscott, Bertram Turetzky, Barre Phillips, the Rova Saxophone Quartet, and even Patti Smith, would have heightened his profile, yet Golia remains anything but a household name.

Unfortunately, the limited nature of this CD-R release (113 copies) isn't likely to put his music in the hands of the uninitiated, and that's a sad fact that some of us are just going to have to live with. Win This Time features Golia with two of the San Francisco Bay Area's most exciting, young improvisers: Garth Powell on drums and George Cremaschi on bass. The trio play like they've been honing their sound for years, but I'd imagine the unit's overall coherence has more to do with each member's distinguished chops and their ability to listen to one another than the total number of hours spent in each others presence. Bringing to mind the rather disparate styles of Sam Rivers, Evan Parker, and Archie Shepp, Golia's playing is as powerful and stately, as it is idiosyncratic. Golia possesses the unique ability to play both in and out of the music's pulse, sometimes near simultaneously, which gives his blowing a responsive and angular feel - whether he's playing tenor, soprano, bass clarinet or flute. His unique style and sound allow him to assimilate his playing into a variety of different sonic contexts with what sounds like relative ease.

When the trio sets its mind on swinging, as on the awesome 'The People', Powell and Cremaschi's exhilarating beat provides a wonderful platform for Golia's fiery bellows. It's on this track and another called 'Love Us' that Golia's throaty tenor lines remind me of prime, '60s era Shepp. On more irregularly measured terrain ('You No Expendable', 'Like We Love', 'A Piano, 39¢ and a Philosophy (for Sonny Bono)'), the trio discusses the dynamics of the here and now in multi-timbred voices that drive their collective conversations to the furthest reaches of human interaction. Think of a would-be trio including Evan Parker, Johnny Dyani and Louis Moholo to get a sense of where Golia and crew navigate their vessel. On Win This Time, Golia, Powell, and Cremaschi have raised the bar of collective improvisation to a very impressive height. Of course, reading about their music will never be a substitute for actually hearing their music, and with that thought, I'm hoping you know where to take it from here. -Mike Trouchon, opprobrium

I'm not prepared to buy pre-recorded CDRs, even if the music is the greatest I've ever heard. What about the deterioration factor?

Edited by J.A.W.

I'm not prepared to buy pre-recorded CDRs, even if the music is the greatest I've ever heard. What about the deterioration factor?

You could always copy the disk onto a nice (let's say) Mitsui (now known as MAM?) gold CD. That's what I did as label owner John Shiurba put some sort of sticker on the label side of this disk and the sticker came loose...

Uwe Oberg

Tony, have you got Lo? If not, it might still be available from broinc.

I have it but haven't listened to it in ages nor more than once.

I'll give it a spin soon and post an opinion.

another disc I have revisited this week is Anthony Ortega - Scattered Clouds on Hat.  It is quite a nice disc.  Nothing earth-shattering, but it walks a nice line between bop and free, with some fine playing and interesting tunes.  It used to be listed on ebay quite regularly for $3 (which is how I obtained my copy) and, if you can locate a copy for a reasonable price, I highly recommend giving this album a chance.

Have been listening to this album quite a bit recently, and enjoy it more and more with each listen. Ortega is really an original voice, largely cliché-free, and drummer and pianist are outstanding here (particularly the drummer!). Good, good stuff. I hope Ortega records something good (not like his recent "On Evidence" bullshit) soon.

Edited by Д.Д.

another disc I have revisited this week is Anthony Ortega - Scattered Clouds on Hat.  It is quite a nice disc.  Nothing earth-shattering, but it walks a nice line between bop and free, with some fine playing and interesting tunes.  It used to be listed on ebay quite regularly for $3 (which is how I obtained my copy) and, if you can locate a copy for a reasonable price, I highly recommend giving this album a chance.

Have been listening to this album quite a bit recently, and enjoy it more and more with each listen. Ortega is really an original voice, largely cliché-free, and drummer and pianist are outstanding here (particularly the drummer!). Good, good stuff. I hope Ortega records something good (not like his recent "On Evidence" bullshit) soon.

David, there's another recent Ortega disc out, I saw it in a store, but haven't listened, it's a quartet with guitar, bass, and drums, and I believe it was on a French label... google may help, I forgot the title.

Friends, I just listened to Harriet Tubman's "I Am A Man" (Knitting Factory, 1999), and I heartily recommend it. The band is

Brandon Ross - guitar

Melvin Gibbs - el. bass

J T Lewis - drums

The music is stylistically somewhat close to what Nels Cline Singers are doing - rock-"informed" improvised guitar trio with some catchy melodic passages and groovy bass lines - however, I like Harriet Tubman even more, since there is less of guitar pyrotechnics here, and more focus, space. Also, rocking element is somewhat elss present - the compositions are more open-ended and less rely on riffs or vamps (no power-trio cliches). Guitar sound is beatiful and bass lines are mesmirizing. Good stuff, and I see that it is available at amazon.com for $9: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=music

Given that Knitting Factory CDs are OOP, I would recommend grabbing this asap.

I finally had a chance to listen to this disc today and really enjoyed it. I'll have to re-listen to the Nels Cline Singers, as I haven't heard that album in quite some time, but my first impression was that the HT disc is more rock-inclined than D.D. seemed to think.

A solid release, and well worth much more than the $3 I paid for it, either way.

Guest Chaney

Gentlemen,

Cheers for opening my ears to some magnificent music in 2004.

Have a great 2005 (I just wish i had the money keep up with you )

:party:

Wait until Hans gets his index together. Then we'll all see just how far behind we are. (Except for that moneybags Russian guy, that is. And ubu seems to be practically drowing in music lately. Come to think of it, Hans has a pretty huge collection. Looks like it's just you and me Gary. :(:blink: )

Edited by Chaney

Gentlemen,

Cheers for opening my ears to some magnificent music in 2004.

Have a great 2005 (I just wish i had the money keep up with you )

:party:

Wait until Hans gets his index together. Then we'll all see just how far behind we are. (Except for that moneybags Russian guy, that is. And ubu seems to be practically drowing in music lately. Come to think of it, Hans has a pretty huge collection. Looks like it's just you and me Gary. :(:blink: )

you too, Gary!

sending both you and Chaney a PM...

I've never heard of those musicians either.  I'll give the mp3s a listen.

Not available for order yet, but finally listed on the Ayler records webpage:

aylCD-028

Henry Grimes Trio

Henry Grimes, bass

David Murray, ts and bcl

Hamid Drake, drums

grimesmid.jpg

Mine came yesterday. Inspiring stuff from the first note. One quibble, maybe two twenty minute plus tracks is one too many. That said there's plenty of variety and Grimes sounds great swinging hard and digging deep. Nice note from from William Parker. Recommended.

Guest Chaney

Uwe Oberg

Tony, have you got Lo? If not, it might still be available from broinc.

I have it but haven't listened to it in ages nor more than once.

I'll give it a spin soon and post an opinion.

WOW! Really wonderful music!

Love the dreamlike / nightmarish BUT often pretty sound Oberg ellicits from his piano; the solid (NOT over-played) bass of Wolf; and the seemingly neverending sound palette of percussionist Fischer.

Must get me more of these boys.

(Looks like this title is no longer available from BROInc)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looks like Sven-Åke Johansson has his own label: SÅJ series CD 2002/3 (bottom of the page)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Item ID: ECD 1019

Artist: Futtermann, Joel

Title: Inner Conversations

Price: $5.00

40' of music by the quartet of Jimmy Lyons-alto sax, Richard Davis-bass, Robert Atkins-drums & Joel Futterman-piano, plus an additional 7 tracks of solo piano music by Joel. Any chance to hear the great Jimmy Lyons blow alto is worth picking up, and at this price... [Ear Rational]

Wayside Music

Edited by Chaney

Guest Chaney

Looks like we should expect some new releases in the (near?) future from True Muze, after all:

This site is currently under re-construction.

Come back later for new releases, an online store and more updates in a new design

Dear Tony,

Thank you for your interest in True Muze Rec. and the music we produce. The main change we are going to introduce is online distribution (pay per download) for our music. This will allow us in the future to react quicker, release more titles  and have a better communication with the worldwide community of people interested in our music.

We have several masters ready for release, but please understand that we decided not to publish any info beforehand. But we do expect the first series to be released within the first quarter of this year.

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Vlatko Kucan - TrueMuze Rec.

Just got a little bumf from Incus, FYI:

NEW DVD available now.

"DEREK BAILEY: PLAYING FOR FRIENDS ON 5TH STREET"

PRODUCED AND DIRECTED BY ROBERT O'HAIRE. 51 minute, NTSC all-region DVD

Playing for Friends on 5th Street catches free-improv guitar legend Derek Bailey in an intimate concert for about 40 friends and fans on December 29, 2001. The friends - fixtures on the downtown scene - include guitarist Alan Licht, poets Steve Dalachinsky and Yuko Otomo, DMG proprietors Bruce Lee Gallanter and Manny Maris, and Stephanie and the late Irving Stone, to whom Bailey dedicated the video release.

It was a casual evening and a casual performance as well. Bailey seems to be working through ideas, finding little nuances and sitting on them, working through suggestions before strolling along other paths. The single-camera footage, focused tightly on the guitarist, is presented with few edits and nicely augmented with various post-production effects: full screen and letterbox, color and warm sepia halftones and stop motion lend to the more-than-front-row intimacy of the video. Bailey is at his best during the 51-minute set, which includes his telling a story about working in a guitar shop in the 1960s (accompanying himself as he does in his much sought-after "chats") and a few moments of traditional playing on the vintage Epiphone hollow-body he bought on Staten Island.

PRICE : £12 , €18 or $20.00 plus postage

AVAILABLE from INCUS / Calle De Roca 6, Piso 1, 08002 Barcelona. Spain

Or 14 Downs Road London E5 8DS England U.K.

in the spirit of the last few posts, I just got an email from Eremite:

available now at eremite.com, $-25-

peter brötzmann & han bennink

still quite popular after all those years

brö 4 (l/p)

peter brötzmann -- a-clarinet, tarogato, alto & tenor saxophones

han bennink -- drums

side 'A'

1. clarinet/drums

2. tarogato/drums

3. clarinet/drums

side 'B'

1. clarinet/drums

2. alto/drums

3. tenor/drums

recorded 4 & 5 february, 2004, at the loft, köln

the 2nd release on brö since the label's 2003 revival presents a

continuation of one of the great duos in free music history, peter brötzmann

& han bennink. brötzmann organized a series of concerts with bennink in

early 2004 for the ultimate purpose of capturing these moments, their

first duo music on record since 1980's atsugi concert. the particular

chemistry & poetry b/t these two old friends is still furiously alive;

but the accumulation of experience & years by both artists brings new

areas of consideration. this is brötzmann /bennink music formulated at

once more carefully & more freely; every gesture here sounds earned,

decisive, vital.

as with brö 3, the record itself is pressed on real audiophile 180 gram

vinyl by RTI. artwork by both brötzmann & bennink, jackets

silk-screened by siwa records, oregon, u.s.a., in a numbered edition of 999. there

is a shipping/handling charge for brö products on all domestic &

foreign orders. orders w/in the u.s.: first class shipping rates will depend

on your zip code, please include it when ordering. media rate is a flat

rate of $3.50. insurance is optional & costs an additional $1.30. we

will not "guarantee" brös sent w/o insurance. canadian & overseas orders,

we will quote you a shipping price based on your preferred shipping

method.

still a few copies avail. of the peter brotzmann discography, compiled

by kouichi ohshima.

7x10", 55 page illustrated discography, paperback, glossy stock cover,

quite nice.

published in japan 1997 (all english text), numbered edition of 200.

$-35-

I wonder if Brotz is going to be releasing as many albums this year as he did in '04?

Edited by John B