Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From DMG newsletter:

...David S. Ware Quartet will have a triple live CD out on Thirsty be the end of the year with three different drummers - Susie Ibarra, Guillermo Brown and Hamid Drake.

:( Please don't mention Ms. Ibarra or ubu might do one of those Funny Rat Babe Thread things again! Or worse yet, he'll add a large pic of Susie to his already bloated signature line!! :excited:

:D

Hey, bugger, I always kept my pants up! I AM NOT ARIC! And by the way I have stayed out of the babe thread for several months, now! SO: BUG OFF!

:P

Of course I can't resist, and I even found two I didn't post here, already, nor elsewhere:

Susie playing:

7-20-susie-ibarra.jpg

and Susie singing:

7-20-susie-singing.jpg

I'm sure our good friend J.A.W. will be glad to know she happens to sing from time to time, so he can stay away from her concerts...

ubu :g

Edited by king ubu

Listened to this one today:

B00008MOV5.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Pretty boring, no? Maybe I wasn't in the right mood, but I don't think I'll really love this one. Robinson is cool, but other than that....

I love Henry Grimes' The Call.

I don't find it boring at all!

Of course music is a subjective matter.

I beg you to give it another try though ;)

B00008MOV5.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Pretty boring, no? Maybe I wasn't in the right mood, but I don't think I'll really love this one. Robinson is cool, but other than that....

I will! I was actually waiting for someone to come up with such a post ;)

Any other opinions on this album?

ubu

Henry Grimes "The Call"

I will! I was actually waiting for someone to come up with such a post ;)

Any other opinions on this album?

I don't have it, and it is not on THE LIST.

Well, if somebody else adds a bit more of controversy here I might go for it if I see it cheap. I liked Grimes' playing - it alone should give some merit to the music...

This morning I received CD racks from Canada, 4 x 1520 - hopefully, this is enough. Black instead of oak that I ordered :rmad: What the fuck is going on with custoemr service in the world?!?! Is it just me, or is it realy getting significantly worse every year? And Switzerland is the worse I've seen so far, btw (going now to the garage to discuss their "minor repairing" (but major cost) of my car, which resulted in back door blocked, cruise control not working (and I need it, otherwise I am speeding all the time!!) and CD player not working ( :rmad::rmad::rmad: ). All these were fine before the "repair".

Anyway, I will have a fun time asssembling it all, and even more fun arranging the CDs (I will go for strictly alphapetical order, fuck the "styles". "labels" and other nonsense) - now thinking of the most efficient way to do it... I will unpack some boxes with CDs that have been sealed for two years, he-he.

Ubu, what the fuck is that signature picture? Is it a mutant Chernobyl once-funny rat?

You should know better! I remember we have met, right? It's a "véritable portrait de Monsieur Ubu".

I saw the Grimes cheap (10 Franks), wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.

Sorry to hear about your car, but have a look at the Coen's "Fargo" to see how car-dealers function, in the US, Switzerland, or anyplace else... they're all the same species, it seems.

Ordering alphabetical: does that mean you get rid of ALL stylistical categories? (I have three: classical/"neue Musik", jazz (and the little bit of blues, r'n'b etc I own), and rock/pop/funk/soul etc.

But then, I have maybe 200 non-jazz CDs, and the others would probably snugly fit into three and a half of those racks you ordered. Have a link? (I have no money, but I wonder how they look!)

ubu

From DMG newsletter:

...David S. Ware Quartet will have a triple live CD out on Thirsty be the end of the year with three different drummers - Susie Ibarra, Guillermo Brown and Hamid Drake.

I don't know about that. I'd be curious to hear it, but three discs seems excessive and I have no desire to hear more Guillermo Brown. I have also not heard anything positive about recent (past few years) sets by Ware, so I don't think I'll be buying this set unless rave reviews start to pour forth.

another disc I have revisited this week is Anthony Ortega - Scattered Clouds on Hat. It is quite a nice disc. Nothing earth-shattering, but it walks a nice line between bop and free, with some fine playing and interesting tunes. It used to be listed on ebay quite regularly for $3 (which is how I obtained my copy) and, if you can locate a copy for a reasonable price, I highly recommend giving this album a chance.

another disc I have revisited this week is Anthony Ortega - Scattered Clouds on Hat.  It is quite a nice disc.  Nothing earth-shattering, but it walks a nice line between bop and free, with some fine playing and interesting tunes.  It used to be listed on ebay quite regularly for $3 (which is how I obtained my copy) and, if you can locate a copy for a reasonable price, I highly recommend giving this album a chance.

Here's the cover of "Scattered Clouds"

B0000560OX.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Have this and like it. It seems the other one on hatOLOGY is even better, though:

565b.gif

Then I have another one, called "Ortega On Evidence," which is not so good. In fact, I burned it for D.D., and we both find it pretty boring.

Has anyone heard this one?

B00005R1C5.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It's a quartet with Rémi Charmasson on guitar.

ubu

Edited by king ubu

I'm listening to an interesting disc this morning: Akira Sakata's Fisherman's.com

Akira Sakata on sax, Hamid Drake on drums, Bill Laswell on bass and Pete Cosey on guitar, on his first release (as far as I know) since Miles' 70's releases. I really dig this disc. It's not too out and gets a really nice groove going. Sort of a cross between a typical Laswell production and Dark Magus. There are some vocals courtesy of Sakata that I am not too crazy about but, other than that, I really enjoy this one. This was only released in Japan, but I was able to buy a copy through DMG a while back.

Ordering alphabetical: does that mean you get rid of ALL stylistical categories? (I have three: classical/"neue Musik", jazz (and the little bit of blues, r'n'b etc I own), and rock/pop/funk/soul etc.

But then, I have maybe 200 non-jazz CDs, and the others would probably snugly fit into three and a half of those racks you ordered. Have a link? (I have no money, but I wonder how they look!)

ubu

No styles whatsoever, music is music. Strictly in alphabetical order, so Metallica will be somewhere near Monk, Mussorgsky, Mali ethnic music compilation and Madonna (he-he, no Madonna in my collection, I think). In "classical" music, if I rememebr a performer beter than composer(s), I will file by performer.

I might make a nightmare photo report of the assembly / arrangment process. Won't look as elegant as this Ibarra girl, but drive, passion, hopes, aspirations and overall titanic effort will be nearly palpable.

another disc I have revisited this week is Anthony Ortega - Scattered Clouds on Hat. It is quite a nice disc. Nothing earth-shattering, but it walks a nice line between bop and free, with some fine playing and interesting tunes. It used to be listed on ebay quite regularly for $3 (which is how I obtained my copy) and, if you can locate a copy for a reasonable price, I highly recommend giving this album a chance.

I also bought my disc from the same e-bay seller (although I think it was $2) - he then sent this crazy e-mail about the dwarfs packing the CDs and elfs delivering them, or something like that.

This was my first hatOLOGY CD and I haven't heard it for three years or so (one of those packed in the boxes still). I don't remember the music, but I do remmeber that it left very positive impression overall.

This was my first hatOLOGY CD and I haven't heard it for three years or so (one of those packed in the boxes still). I don't remember the music, but I do remmeber that it left very positive impression overall.

I listened to it for the first time in years last night and it was a lot more "fractured" and interesting than I had remembered.

"(he-he, no Madonna in my collection, I think)

We'll have to remedy that immediately. Perhaps Atavistic will release Out Duos vol. 4 - Tim Berne, Madonna and Charles Gayle

Guest Chaney

for any of my Funny Rat friends who had not noticed yet, Bagatellen has a new article posted by someone who has seen, explored, and listened to the upcoming Albert Ayler box set on Revenant.  If you weren't looking forward to this set already.....

Bagatellen

I posted a link in this board's Holy Ghost thread to that Bagatellen piece.

For those interested, the set is up for pre-order at CD Universe for $77.17. :tup

Zen WidowMagical

And will be available from Indie Jazz soon.

You are correct sir.

Hello,

Could you let me now if you'll soon be offering the latest Evander Music offering:  "Zen Widow" - with Gianni Gebbia, Garth Powell and Matthew Goodheart.

Thank you.

Tony

Buffalo, NY

Hi Tony -

Thanks for checking in.  I got word from Evander that they were supposed to ship this and whatever else is new yesterday.  They should be in the system by late next week if I receive them perhaps Monday.

Sounds like Zen Widow is a very cool release - I look forward to hearing it too!

Cheers,

Tyler

IndieJazz.com

For those interested, the set is up for pre-order at CD Universe for $77.17.  :tup

:tup

doesn't cduniverse keep the pre-order sale price going until one week after the set has been releases usually?

Looks like I will have to order Zen Widow, too.

Edited by John B

Guest Chaney

doesn't cduniverse keep the pre-order sale price going until one week after the set has been releases usually?

You have to be careful though as you could find yourself in a lengthy backorder situation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In case anyone is looking to pick up a copy of the OOP...

od12022b.gif

... OTHER MUSIC has it listed as available at a cost of $30. (I got mine there last year sometime.) (There's a set currently on EBAY with bidding at $54 with nearly five days to go.)

Don't know if they can still deliver but it's worth a try.

Edited by Chaney