Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

king ubu, the one I would recommend first and foremost would be Brötzmann's Live at Nefertiti - this is probably my favorite Brötzmann CD. Excellent drumming and bass guitar, and Brötzmann is in top form creating a lot of beauty with references to the whole history of tenor saxophone. I keep repeating it, but I find it truly amazing how he developed into such a diverse musician in just 30 years.

I second ...and William danced - very happy music.

Another very good one is 2-CD set called FLowers for Johnny - this is trio of the same guy who plays on "...and William danced" with Johnny Dyani on bass. Dyani's bass parts are really worth the price of this CD alone.

sounds like I will have to grab copies of both of those one day.

Speaking of Brotzmann developing into a diverse musician...have you heard the WELS concert on Okkadisk? I really enjoy the vibe Hamid Drake and Mahmoud Gania bring to the performance. Definitely not your usual Brotz.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

btw, John (couw), John B, our favorite Russian free jazz fan, Hans (if you're there), and Tony/Chaney: you interested in a little steamboaty x-mas gift? get the drift, write me a PM.

ubu

:tup

:party:

you funny guys! Hans still not there/here (anyone tried via email?), John B forgets to mail his address... however, prepare yourself for some ear-shattering experience... couw might do a little cover art, and I might try to either translate the text on the piece of music they got on their website in german, or maybe find something in english.

ubu :)

Geoff!

Did you happen to bump into Hans in New Zealand? :huh:

(I'll send Hans an e-mail.)

FYI: Just checked with Verge and Other Music and while both list The Minimalism of Erik Satie as available, BOTH are out of stock. They promise to stay on the hunt and let me know if they score a copy or two... or three.

By the way, yesterday morning I ordered from Cadence: Two Days In Chicago, Annette, ICP Orchestra: Jubilee Varia, Horace Tapscott: The Dark Tree 1 & 2, one to (two)... Christmann / Gustafsson (Okka) and Urs Liemgruber's Ungleich, L'enigmatique and Lines.

Ordered yesterday morning and received today! And Cadence has done away with its non-subscriber fee! :tup

I take back all the nasty things I've said about them.

Yesterday I bought a cd for only $5 AUS (around 2.5 Euro/$3 US) (new)

It was 'I Remember Thelonious: Live at Jazz In'' on the Italian label Nel Jazz.

It features duets between Steve Lacy (on soprano saxophone) and Mal Waldron (on piano).

A review can be found here http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Abtx8b5m4psqk

It is quite an interesting album, with all but one of the 9 tunes being Thelonious Monk compositions. The piano is sadly out of tune but Waldron has always had the ability to make the best of poor pianos (here his piano contribution to Dolphy's Five Spot albums where the piano was even more out of tune). Waldron has a unique solo style greatly suited to playing Monk's compositions and steve Lacy plays some interesting saxophone, often extending upon certain hooks in Monk's compositions. Overall Waldron and Lacy work very well as a team, but the condition of the piano hinders the quality and enjoyability of the recording. Still for the price I paid, I'm very pleased.

Hey Geoff, nice to see you here!

When I was living in Italy I saw this Waldron/Lacy duo around in stores but decided to skip it in favor of the hatOLOGY set (which I still have to buy, before 3000 anonimous maniacs snap all copies).

John B, I don't have Brötzmann's WELS - it is in my volumnous to get list.

Chaney, thanks for heads up on Cadence - I might have to try it - I never bought from them because of the non-subscriber fee and the inconvenient website. But now since themusicresource.com stopped procuring new Cadence, CIMP and other "advanced" stuff, this might be my only choice.

king ubu, I of course also would like to get my copy of the Swiss steam.

When I was living in Italy I saw this Waldron/Lacy duo around in stores but decided to skip it in favor of the hatOLOGY set (which I still have to buy, before 3000 anonimous maniacs snap all copies).

If you're interested - available from SQUIDCO for $26.45 + $4.00 shipping.

If you're interested - available from SQUIDCO for $26.45 + $4.00 shipping.

You even checked the international shipping! You are such an internationally-minded guy, Chaney. Thanks a lot. Ordering immidiately.

By the way, yesterday morning I ordered from Cadence: Two Days In Chicago, Annette, ICP Orchestra: Jubilee Varia, Horace Tapscott: The Dark Tree 1 & 2, one to (two)... Christmann / Gustafsson (Okka) and Urs Liemgruber's Ungleich, L'enigmatique and Lines.

Ordered yesterday morning and received today! And Cadence has done away with its non-subscriber fee! :tup

I take back all the nasty things I've said about them.

you are in for a treat! The Tapscott set is essential.

this thread makes me wish I had more money.

but alas I am just a poor student.

Maybe we could raise some funds for a "Poor Students In Terrible Neverending Need Of Free Music CDs" (PSITNNOFM - that's perfectly easy to remember :wacko: ) non-profit organisation?!

I know perfectly well what you are speaking of :(

ubu

FYI:  Just checked with Verge and Other Music and while both list The Minimalism of Erik Satie as available, BOTH are out of stock.  They promise to  stay on the hunt and let me know if they score a copy or two... or three.

Just an FYI: Cadence is now out of stock on this item.

:(

DISCPLUS confirmed my order for hatOLOGY VAO and "Annette", as well as for Dunmall's "Ghostly Thoughts". Thanks, king ubu. Looking for Mengelberg now.

Chaney, I haven't received "Pigs...", nor have I received any response to my e-mails. I guess I have to file a complaint with somebody...

BTW, I got a spare copy of "Annette" here in Berlin, so I'll be eager to trade it.

Edited by Д.Д.

Some nice finds, all used CDs (39 swiss franks alltogether, around 25-30 US$):

Anthony Ortega, On Evidence (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Ajs5gtq6zzu44)

I listened to the first two minutes of Warm Canto and knew I got to have it.

Never heard Ortega before. How's his HatOLOGIES?

Charles Gayle, More Live (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Awjfpxqlgldke)

I only have his FMP Touchin' on Trane, and that's one of the best post Coltrane energy records I ever heard!

I got two more discs, one which might be interesting you guys, but I forgot what it was (another clear sign I'm buying too much in too little time... :w ).

I had no chance to listen to either of them, but I will report back. (As I will re. the Gräwe and Gumpert discs...)

ubu

Edited by king ubu

Ubu, I have Ortega's "Scattered Clouds" on hatOLOGY, and as far as I remember (I haven't listened to it for a couple of years) it is very nice, with just a few meandering moments. Truly original stuff. I know there is another Ortega hatOLOGY release, and from what I've heard, it's even better.