Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got this one dirt cheap (less than the prize of two cups of coffee...), and had a listen on the way to work today. Very intense, and very good! Mediterranean jazz, I'd call this. Henri Texier has his usual big beautiful sound, his son Sébastien is on alto saxophone and clarinets, and Tony Rabeson on drums. S. Texier plays the alto with much urgency and drive, going to the limits volume- and soundwise, to very good effect. Rabeson does some quite astonishing things, too. A great trio record - and all in all pretty far removed from your olde sax-b-d trio recording.

ubu

Got this one dirt cheap (less than the prize of two cups of coffee...), and had a listen on the way to work today. Very intense, and very good! Mediterranean jazz, I'd call this. Henri Texier has his usual big beautiful sound, his son Sébastien is on alto saxophone and clarinets, and Tony Rabeson on drums. S. Texier plays the alto with much urgency and drive, going to the limits volume- and soundwise, to very good effect. Rabeson does some quite astonishing things, too. A great trio record - and all in all pretty far removed from your olde sax-b-d trio recording.

ubu

Looks good. I know Texier only through his recording in Sclavis-Romano-Texier trio, which I enjoy but wish it would have more edge - it is all just too pretty.

Looks like this one is a bit funnier and rattier, so I'll probabl give it a try.

I am also hearing New World Pygmies, vol.1 on Eremite, for the first time today. Very nice, although I prefer vol. 2 w/ Hamid Drake on drums for the 2nd disc. Moondoc plays well and William Parker plays as he always plays, which is not a bad thing, I just do not find it as exciting as some of the Moondoc with Denis Charles or with Ed Blackwell on drums.

Edited by John B

ubu

Looks good. I know Texier only through his recording in Sclavis-Romano-Texier trio, which I enjoy but wish it would have more edge - it is all just too pretty.

Looks like this one is a bit funnier and rattier, so I'll probabl give it a try.

Do so! I think Sébastien Texier is cool! His playing is very hot, very melodic it is all (that's part of the mediterranean thing, I guess), but always with an edge, and Rabeson really drives, as - of course! - does Texier himself.

I had a chance to pick this up used some months ago (even cheaper), but passed it after a quick listen. Maybe you need a few go's to really get warm.

By the way it's a soundtrack project of some sorts, for a film shot by a French director in 1970. That film had no soundtrack, and Texier was asked I think for a live screening, originally, to provide some music where it would fit. The disc, however, is in perfect studio quality.

ubu

Gentlemen, I'll be in Russia next week, and I was thinking of picking up some Sergey Letov's CDs. There are some MP3s samples of his here (half of the links are not working, though): http://www.letov.ru/MP3.html

Anybody's interested in getting a copy?

sure! the mp3 samples I heard all sounded very nice.

a big :tup to Raphe Malik Quartet - Companions, on Eremite. Recorded live in 1998, with William Parker, Glenn Spearman and Paul Murphy. I enjoyed this one quite a bit.

For some hard to explain reason I was never completely convinced by Moondoc's playing. I haven't listened to his discs for ages, maybe I should start afresh.

I share your feeling about MOONDOC.

A competent player, sort of free bopper, but with no particular skills and lot of "clichés" in his play.

I think his greatest talent is to surround himself with very good to great musicians.

I own two or three (must check how much) records of his but never really listen to it.

Another :tup for Glenn Spearman - First and Last. I find it very difficult to believe he was terminally ill when this set, his last live recording from July of 1998, was recorded. He sounds to be in fine form and the enrgy level is quite high. I also like hearing Spearman play in a trio with piano. I don't recall any of my other discs with Spearman featuring piano.

[quote= I think Sébastien Texier is cool! His playing is very hot, very melodic it is all (that's part of the mediterranean thing, I guess), but always with an edge

ubu

I like SEBASTIEN TEXIER, too.

He has a beautiful if very straight sound. But he is the opposite of a neo-academic

player.

IMO he has done is best playing with the bands leads by drummer CHRISTOPHE MARGUET (RESISTANCE POETIQUE in trio and LES CORRESPONDANCES in quartet). Check on the last his dialogue with BERTRAND DENZLER who is not an easy player to match.

Both are on LABEL BLEU.

(I think that you can easily order any LABEL BLEU on fnac.com)

For some hard to explain reason I was never completely convinced by Moondoc's playing. I haven't listened to his discs for ages, maybe I should start afresh.

A competent player, sort of free bopper, but with no particular skills and lot of "clichés" in his play.

I think his greatest talent is to surround himself with very good to great musicians.

I own two or three (must check how much) records of his but never really listen to it.

Based on the only record of his I've heard, Live at Glenn Miller Cafe w/Parker and Drake, I would dispute the assertion about his competence on the horn without necessarily taking anything away from his music (I wasn't interested in the music either and traded that disc but that's a different matter). Again, though, all this is based on what I heard on that one record only. Agreed about his largest talent being working with fine musicians.

Edited by gnhrtg

I can't accept statements like this as informed ones unless one heard Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys :rmad:

I can't accept statements like this as informed ones unless one heard Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys :rmad:

Well, David, no one told you to accept anything.

Edited by J.A.W.

Is expressing an opinion or a feeling (like I did) a no no in this thread nowadays??

You' d better accept it Hans, since as you wisely noted expressing a disagreeing opinion is an absolute no no here. The best form for displaying your disagreement (of you dare to) is to start "David, you are of course absolutely correct, but I had an opinion [better use word "fallacy"] - before you were so kind to open my eyes, that...".

Is expressing an opinion or a feeling (like I did) a no no in this thread nowadays??

You' d better accept it Hans, since as you wisely noted expressing a disagreeing opinion is an absolute no no here. The best form for displaying your disagreement (of you dare to) is to start "David, you are of course absolutely correct, but I had an opinion [better use word "fallacy"] - before you were so kind to open my eyes, that...".

I deleted the last sentence from my post before you posted your reply, but now I wish I hadn't. No further comment from me.

Gentlemen, I'll be in Russia next week, and I was thinking of picking up some Sergey Letov's CDs. There are some MP3s samples of his here (half of the links are not working, though): http://www.letov.ru/MP3.html

Anybody's interested in getting a copy?

Thanks for this offer! I'd be delighted!

By the way, Lenin, when he was in Zurich, was deeply influenced by the then starting Dada movement, this being a major factor in his deciding to pull through that revolution thing... :wacko: (I know this sounds strange but someone seriously wrote a book trying to prove this theory... totally unconvincing, of course, but he lived on that same street in Zurich where the Cabaret Voltaire was located...)

ubu

this is inacceptable

I can't accept statements like this, couw!

I think I'll delete my message... ^_^

on the Rat front: some days ago I made a dub of an FMP LP by Brötzmann titled Elements (1971). Fiery stuff with some pretty moments. Features Mangelsdorff to make it more interesting. Anyone heard (of) that one? Opinions?

Oh, by the way, you're all highly inacceptable! :huh:

I don't know Moodoc, and I'm sure he's no worth (of course I'm so sure about that because I have no money to spend on getting any of his discs right now ;) )

P.L.M.: thanks for the S. Texier recommendations! Texier & Denzler sounds good!

He is unacademic, indeed! Very straight, very workman-like, but in a very good way!

ubu

this is inacceptable

I can't accept statements like this, couw!

I think I'll delete my message... ^_^

on the Rat front: some days ago I made a dub of an FMP LP by Brötzmann titled Elements (1971). Fiery stuff with some pretty moments. Features Mangelsdorff to make it more interesting. Anyone heard (of) that one? Opinions?

Oh, wait, let me quote that before you can delete anything :g