Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Listening to a FANTASTIC Stanko quartet concert from London, last year (... not transferred to CDR by yours truly).

So what are you waiting for - make CD-Rs and send it out! - you know the address.

I actually really would appreciate a copy, if it's not too much trouble, ubu.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Listening to a FANTASTIC Stanko quartet concert from London, last year (a BBC broadcast provided by guess who, and not transferred to CDR by yours truly). This band is one of the best currently active! They're smoking! Each of the four is a great instrumentalist in his own right - Marcin Wasileski is GREAT! I'd love to hear him in trio! Slavomir Kurkiewicz has a beautiful big and woody sound, a huge sound, and Mihal Miskiewicz sounds better on these live tracks than on the ECM-mixed studio recordings (well, I only have the first disc so far).

ubu

If any more shows catch the eye I'm sure 'guess who' would pass on the MD, its just a shame I'm far too lazy to learn how to copy MDs to CD , but if someone else is willing to copy it ....

There was a particularly good show from the Chicago Underground trio last week , that has enjoyed repeated spins .

I caught Stanko live earlier in the year & found them more enjoyable than on CD. The piano player was magnificent.

Edited by Gary

Listening to a FANTASTIC Stanko quartet concert from London, last year (a BBC broadcast provided by guess who, and not transferred to CDR by yours truly).

You really are setting yourself up for trouble with comments like these...now we all will want to verify your findings, just in the name of "objective research." :g

Seriously, that band is great. I've really enjoyed all of the Stanko I have heard on album. If, as Gary said, they are better live, I will most definitely have to go see them the next time they tour anywhere near here.

Listening to a FANTASTIC Stanko quartet concert from London, last year (a BBC broadcast provided by guess who, and not transferred to CDR by yours truly).

You really are setting yourself up for trouble with comments like these...now we all will want to verify your findings, just in the name of "objective research." :g

Seriously, that band is great. I've really enjoyed all of the Stanko I have heard on album. If, as Gary said, they are better live, I will most definitely have to go see them the next time they tour anywhere near here.

Definitively check them out live! They're much more, let's say "lively"... Not as calm and lyrical, but pulsating, and pretty wild at times.

Have checked the Brotzel Tentet, there's some slight distortion, and a few pops and clicks that I cannot edit out, but it's totally listenable, in my opinion. Won't go out right now, though. Be patient!

ubu

ubu, I would like to note that I take all your CD-R shipments very seriously, and intend to give them all a very serious listen (or two or three) and post my tedious but invaluable comments here.

In other words, you can safely keep the flow of the CD-Rs coming - they all will get a necessery level of attention ;)

I am going to Russia tomorrow, and this time I firmly intend to bring a new batch of Russian music. If I find something worthwile, all usual suspects will eventually get a copy as well.

----------------------------------

John, don't underestimate So Funky! - it does sound pretty lightweight on th first listen, but the more you listen the more intricacies you will discover - it is an impressively clever record. And Negri's technique on it is simply stunning.

ubu, I would like to note that I take all your CD-R shipments very seriously, and intend to give them all a very serious listen (or two or three) and post my tedious but invaluable comments here.

In other words, you can safely keep the flow of the CD-Rs coming - they all will get a necessery level of attention ;)

No sweat, my friend!

Check the Perry Robinson Savoy album for some funky clarinet!

Guest Chaney

David:

Received a little package from Evander Music today.

Packing slip lists the inclusion one (I ORDERED TWO!) copy of Zen Widow but guess what? NOT EVEN ONE COPY OF ZEN WIDOW IS INCLUDED!

Included though are complimentary copies of Greenlief's solo outing Stalking Adrei and Jettison Slinky's Dank Side of the Morn. (Listening to Dank right now. Sounds pretty darn good!)

I'll e-mail Phillip Greenlief once I get home.

OY!

David:

Received a little package from Evander Music today.

Packing slip lists the inclusion one (I ORDERED TWO!) copy of Zen Widow but guess what? NOT EVEN ONE COPY OF ZEN WIDOW IS INCLUDED!

The widow probably had urgent business elsewhere...

Sorry, stupid joke, but I couldn't resist - it's just the mood I'm in... (sigh)

I saw Perry Robinson live (with Art Barron on trombone and Ed Schuller on bass) -one of the best concert I've ever seen - but npot because of the RObinson, but because of all three - this is the best example I ever witnessed of supreme level of interaction where whole by far exceeds the sum of the parts... this was something absoliutely unbelievable. And musicians obviously thought so as well, because after the music was over they kept staring at each other for a minute or so silently, with stunned expression on their faces. Barron then said something along the lines of "we didn't even need to use drugs, eh?".

There were 4 people (including myself) in the audience.

I saw Perry Robinson live (with Art Barron on trombone and Ed Schuller on bass) -one of the best concert I've ever seen - but npot because of the RObinson, but because of all three - this is the best example I ever witnessed of supreme level of interaction where whole by far exceeds the sum of the parts... this was something absoliutely unbelievable. And musicians obviously thought so as well, because after the music was over they kept staring at each other for a minute or so silently, with stunned expression on their faces. Barron then said something along the lines of "we didn't even need to use drugs, eh?".

There were 4 people (including myself) in the audience.

Great story! (I think you told me that when we met, didn't you?)

ubu

I received the discs I ordered in from Eremite's July sale and this is the third time what I received does not match what I ordered. Eremite has always made good on correcting my order, but this is kind of silly. This time I won't complain because the incorrect disc, Tom Bruno - White Boy Blues, happens to be one I don't own.

Great Perry Robinson story, thank you for posting it!

So what do you guys think of Borbetomagus?

I have never heard them.

I listened to Tom Bruno's White Boy Blues, which is an album from 1981 that Eremite reissued on cd. Most of my knowledge of Bruno's work comes from the three albums by Test that I own. This one is a solo performance, featuring Bruno on drums and (less convincingly) on piano, this one exceeded my expactations. Not bad at all.

Edited by John B

Sorry, stupid joke, but I couldn't resist - it's just the mood I'm in... (sigh)

oban_gr.jpg

have a drink and try again... ;)

I've got nothing but an empty bottle... :(

Don't forget to get two and send me one when you buy new ones! ;)

Could stand one or two, too!

ubu

You're welcome to order a few here and send me one ^_^

Edited by J.A.W.

Is this Funny Rat?

Or am I reading the Scotch thread?? :blink:

You know, these rats here have taste! :g

If you follow the link and go to the prize list, then to the Islays, you can - without any bigger problem - order a Laphroaig 40yr in a wooden box for a mere 548 Euro, and let them mail it to me... ;)

If you follow the link and go to the prize list, then to the Islays, you can - without any bigger problem - order a Laphroaig 40yr in a wooden box for a mere 548 Euro, and let them mail it to me... ;)

Like I said in the whisky thread, I don't do Islays :P

If you follow the link and go to the prize list, then to the Islays, you can - without any bigger problem - order a Laphroaig 40yr in a wooden box for a mere 548 Euro, and let them mail it to me...  ;)

Like I said in the whisky thread, I don't do Islays :P

I know that, Hans! It was actually directed at brownie anyway! ;)