Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

I just received an email from Eremite, letting me know that they will be having a sale through the end of July. If you buy three discs directly from the label, you will get a fourth disc for free. This only applies to discs on Eremite, not on one of the labels they distribute, and the free selection can not be a double cd.

fwiw, I own No Nothing, but not the new solo disc, so am also unable to compare the two.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I listened to this one this past weekend:

f34720vhg2o.jpg

Who needs coffee or espresso when you have the Brotzmann Tentet?

Broken English starts off pleasantly enough, with Hamid chanting from the Koran and Brotz entering somewhat ecstatically, but, fairly quickly, the entore band explodes into the song, in what is, to my ears, the closest Brotz has come to revisiting Machine Gun in recent memory. Part of the jolt lies in the dynamics of the cd. There are some very quiet, almost lyrical passages, which are, before too long, ripped to shreds by the fury of the collective.

Not for all tastes, and not always what I am in the mood for but this is a very good album.

:tup

Another Fred Anderson recommendation, this time on Nessa:

e877870eog3.jpg

This one was recorded in 1979 and features Fred along with Larry Hayrod on bass, Hamid Drake on drums and Adam Rudolph on percussion. Four long tracks, including a 15 minute cd bonus track composed by Hamid. Highly recommended!

I just saw this posted on the Henry Grimes thread in the Artists forum and didn't want my Funny Rat friends to miss it:

"Joyful news!! The first label release by the NEW Henry Grimes will be out soon!! It's The Henry Grimes Trio featuring David Murray and Hamid Drake live in Europe, 'O4 on Ayler Records "

Supposedly they are aiming for October. Nothing about this that I could find on the Ayler site yet.

Great news! I will be ordering this one as soon as possible.

I just saw this posted on the Henry Grimes thread in the Artists forum and didn't want my Funny Rat friends to miss it:

"Joyful news!! The first label release by the NEW Henry Grimes will be out soon!! It's The Henry Grimes Trio featuring David Murray and Hamid Drake live in Europe, 'O4 on Ayler Records "

Supposedly they are aiming for October.  Nothing about this that I could find on the Ayler site yet.

Great news!  I will be ordering this one as soon as possible.

Hmm.... I am looking forward to hearing comeback Henry Grimes, but so far I am given a choice of hearing him either with Sabir Mateen ( :rmad: ) or with David Murray (not exactly :rmad: , but pretty close in my book). I mean, of course I will check it out (and saxophone-bass-drums trio is a nice format), but man I would have loved to see somebody else playing saxophone (Kidd Jordan, for example).

Edited by Д.Д.

I just received an email from Eremite, letting me know that they will be having a sale through the end of July. If you buy three discs directly from the label, you will get a fourth disc for free. This only applies to discs on Eremite, not on one of the labels they distribute, and the free selection can not be a double cd.

fwiw, I own No Nothing, but not the new solo disc, so am also unable to compare the two.

Time to stock up on those Jemeel Moondoc CDs.

-------------------------------------------------

I will get Brötzmann's "No Nothing", you masters of confusion.

-------------------------------------------------

And yeah, this Anderson on Nessa as well. I, as David Ayers, also tend to prefer older Fred Anderson recordings, so this one can't be too bad. I think TOny also recommended it way back when...

Guest Chaney

Anderson's The Missing Link is very good. The first track is a bit uninspired and too long at 16:37 but the other three tunes are good stuff. (Third track, The Bull, clocks in at 17:11 but feels half as long as track one, Twilight.)

per a request from our own Roi Ubu, a few words on an album I was listening to earlier this afternoon:

Jérôme Noetinger / ErikM - What a Wonderful World (Erstwhile)

Jérôme Noetinger: electroacoustic devices

ErikM: 3-K.pad ƒ system, MD, turntables

This is, at turns, a very abstract and a fairly accesible (relatively speaking) album. Noetinger and M take recordings of found sounds, layer them in amongst their own recodrings, and subject the whole to an intensive amount of post-production. To quote from the Erst website:

"Over the following months, Noetinger and ErikM painstakingly edited and shaped the material into a coherent whole, flavoring their complex, abstract electronics with insistent repetitions and field recordings, creating instant concrète-- each individual idea as carefully constructed as the impeccably chosen first and last sounds."

One of my favorite moments on any electroacoustic album occurs towards the end of the album, where Noetinger and M drop in a French pop song, seemingly playing off of an old record, and gradually add layers of electronic fuzz and grinding over the voice of the nameless chanteusse. I find the track to be transcendent and the entire album, while not one of my top five discs in the genre, very satisfying.

Anderson's The Missing Link is very good. The first track is a bit uninspired and too long at 16:37 but the other three tunes are good stuff. (Third track, The Bull, clocks in at 17:11 but feels half as long as track one, Twilight.)

I agree with Chaney, and want to add that I love the fourth track. Very nice and relaxed groove from Hamid, et al.

Back to electro-acoustic improv.

Aa couple of days ago I tried to listen to Sachiko M & Sean Meehan untitled duo CD (don't know what the label is). Sachiko M "plays" sine waves and Meehan - various percussion. Approximately 3 minutes into the first track (which was just a high-pitch drone) I started feeling quite a presure in my ears (as if inner ear was resonating) and had to turn the music off. This is the first time I am reacting this way to any music.

Now if Swiss police decides to pay me a visit, I know what music I will greet them with.

Edited by Д.Д.

Sine waves David?

What, couldn't you find any more balloon performers?

:D

:g

Seriously, I'm beginning to wonder what balloon and sine wave "playing" has got to do with music and musicianship. I don't get it, so please explain, David - or is it just some kind of feeling?

Edited by J.A.W.

Sine waves David?

Seriously, I'm beginning to wonder what balloon and sine wave "playing" has got to do with music and musicianship. I don't get it, so please explain, David - or is it just some kind of feeling?

You guys are note ready for the music of the future.

You'd better train your ears now, before you start hearing balloon and sine wave music in every shopping mole, dentist's waiting room, elevator and presedential campaign advertising.

I already commited to doing a wirte-up on Judy Dunaway's "Baloon Music", and seeing such an interest from your side I will try to do it asap. But I can alredy tell you that this is suprisingly musical stuff. I haven't heard the other balloon guy - as far as I understand, he is more extreme.

Sine waves David?

You guys are note ready for the music of the future.

You'd better train your ears now, before you start hearing balloon and sine wave music in every shopping mole, dentist's waiting room, elevator and presedential campaign advertising.

Ah, I see, you mean "sounds of torture"...

Since I was playing them last night, a big :tup for a few Bill Dixon titles on Soul Note: Live in Italy vols 1 and 2; Thoughts; Son of Sisyphus.

There are others of these but this is what I got through last night. What I really like about Dixon is the immense mindfulness of everything he does. There is never any note spinning, and nothing is played for effect. The compositions all proceed at their own pace and achieve intensity through their organisation (NEVER through any thrashing about or 'freaking out').

I also played through his side of the Savoy CD - a shadow of what was to come, I thought, and no real need for the rejected takes.

Back to electro-acoustic improv.

Aa couple of days ago I tried to listen to Sachiko M & Sean Meehan untitled duo CD (don't know what the label is). Sachiko M "plays" sine waves and Meehan - various percussion. Approximately 3 minutes into the first track (which was just a high-pitch drone) I started feeling quite a presure in my ears (as if inner ear was resonating) and had to turn the music off. This is the first time I am reacting this way to any music.

Now if Swiss police decides to pay me a visit, I know what music I will greet them with.

As much as I am open to the concept of sine waves as music, I really have trouble listening to Sachiko M or Toshimaru Nakamura. I find the higher pitched sounds they create to be painful and annoying at times. I had enough high pitched whining resonating in my head the last time I had to go under the drill at the dentist.

What I really like about Dixon is the immense mindfulness of everything he does. There is never any note spinning, and nothing is played for effect. The compositions all proceed at their own pace and achieve intensity through their organisation (NEVER through any thrashing about or 'freaking out').

Very true. Dixon is a great musical thinker. Live in Italy discs are phenomenal.

The one I didn't like too much though was Papirus Vol. 1 - Dixon's duo with Tony Oxley. DIxon's playing here consists mostly of minimalistic low farting sounds, and it is enjoyable only to an extent.

From the reviewes I've read, he is doing the same thing on the recent Cecil Taylor-Oxley-DIxon trio performance on Victo.

DIxon's playing here consists mostly of minimalistic low farting sounds, and it is enjoyable only to an extent.

My friends used to have an old dog who created "minimalistic low farting sounds," but we never found it enjoyable to any extent.

As much as I am open to the concept of sine waves as music, I really have trouble listening to Sachiko M or Toshimaru Nakamura. I find the higher pitched sounds they create to be painful and annoying at times. I had enough high pitched whining resonating in my head the last time I had to go under the drill at the dentist.

I'd like to recommend "do" to any people who suffer from Tinnitus.

d'oh