Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

An alright disc, this was recorded live in Vienna as a tribute to Art Farmer. They do some movie themes, and taking it for what it is - an understated and non-pretentious (?does that exist?) - album, it is quite good. I'm not sure it's that much of a jazz album, in fact, the cinematic aspects seem almost more important at moments, and there is not much improvisations. Also it's quite short, at only a bit over fourty minutes playing time, and ten tunes. This is not an album to scream at you about its greatness, but I think it will grow.

The brevity of the tracks, the use of 1940s film themes, & the focus on colouring-in themes rather than using them as launching-pads for solos are all typical Blake. It's a very good album with among other things an excellent "I Should Care" (intended as a gloss on Monk's famous solo reading). I like short albums, so don't mind the 38-minute running time.

If you both like this duet you should try to listen to the STEPHAN OLIVA's record who belongs to the box JAZZ'N (E)MOTION: FILM MUSIC ON THE PIANO.

It includes pianist like MARTIAL SOLAL, PAUL BLEY, ALAIN JEAN-MARIE and others.

Each records could be bought separetely.

The best of the bunch was the OLIVA.

He plays (in solo like everybody else) ROSEMARY'S BABY, VERTIGO (directly related to RAN BLAKE & ENRICO RAVA), THE MIRACLE WORKERS, INDIA SONG, TOUCH OF EVIL, WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGIANO WOOLF, LE MEPRIS etc.

Beautiful interpretation of all this theme with nearly no improvisation but very intelligently arranged.

It's maybe out of print but if you can put your hand on one copy, don't hesitate, take it. You won't be disappointed.

Edited by P.L.M

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That box sounds cool indeed! Never heard of it!

I won't be able to buy it right now, though.

What I HAD to buy (at the prize of ~10 Euros) today is this one:

complicite.jpg

Has anyone heard it? I got if for Taylor mainly, but getting a bit more of Crispell, who I hardly know yet, is not bad, either. Plimley and Oswald I have both never heard.

ubu

I just put a used copy of McPhee & Drake's EMANCIPATION PROCLAMATION on hold at a local record shop.  Any opinions on that particular outing?

:tup:tup:tup

I love this album! Drake's solo during the title track always makes me stop and listen a second time. As much as I enjoy hearing Drake with Brotzmann, it is nice to hear him stretch out with someone different.

Another great disc is his duo with Borah Bergman on Soul Note.

c481342ofu5.jpg

This disc doesn't seem to get a lot of mention but it is fantastic! I don't know of any other Drake / pianist duets off the top of my head, which is too bad. This disc smokes!

Thanks for the rec, John B... got a PM from another member who really liked it as well. I'm such a Drake junkie that I wasn't too worried about buying it... also like McPhee a great deal. Looking forward to giving it a listen when I get home tonight.

That R. Blake CD sounds good, too--I'll keep an eye out for it.

If you both like this duet you should try to listen to the STEPHAN OLIVA's record who belongs to the box JAZZ'N (E)MOTION: FILM MUSIC ON THE PIANO.

This is a beautiful one. IN general Oliva is a very interesting pianist - he has a nice trio (reinterpretation of the mksuic of Bill Evans) on Owl. I am also interested about his Tristano duo with another piranist (forgot the name) on Emouvance.

Also in this series, there is a very lyrical solo Steve Kühn.

These CDs are available as indivudual CDs outside of the box (I got mine from themusicreource, I think).

Another great disc is his duo with Borah Bergman on Soul Note.

c481342ofu5.jpg

This disc doesn't seem to get a lot of mention but it is fantastic! I don't know of any other Drake / pianist duets off the top of my head, which is too bad. This disc smokes!

Cannot get Bergman. Get bored every time I try to listen to him. Sounds random and unstructured to me (he is sometimes compared to Cecil, but Cecil to me sounds totally opposite - there is a great degree of logics and structure in place).

---------------------------------------------------------

Drske would have probably sounded great with Jaki Byard...

complicite.jpg

Has anyone heard it? I got if for Taylor mainly, but getting a bit more of Crispell, who I hardly know yet, is not bad, either. Plimley and Oswald I have both never heard.

ubu

I wonder if this is the same John Oswald who did Plunderphonics and Greyfolded? What instrument does he play on that disc?

Cannot get Bergman. Get bored every time I try to listen to him. Sounds random and unstructured to me (he is sometimes compared to Cecil, but Cecil to me sounds totally opposite - there is a great degree of logics and structure in place).

It took quite a while for me to "get" this disc, primarily due to Bergman. This is the only disc of his that I have and I really had to work a bit to apreciate its beauty.

:tup

Sam Rivers/Adam Rudolph/Harris Eisenstadt - Vista (Meta 009)

Sam Rivers on sax and flute with two percussionists. Recorded the day before Rivers's 80th birthday! Sounds very good on my first listen...

Sounds interesting! Have you heard Spirits, also on Meta, with Pharoah Sanders, Rudolph and Hamid Drake? If so, how does this one compare?

Cannot get Bergman. Get bored every time I try to listen to him. Sounds random and unstructured to me (he is sometimes compared to Cecil, but Cecil to me sounds totally opposite  - there is a great degree of logics and structure in place).

It took quite a while for me to "get" this disc, primarily due to Bergman. This is the only disc of his that I have and I really had to work a bit to apreciate its beauty.

I don't have too much either - lethargic (and incredibly boring, IMO) solo piano Meditations (Tzadik) and fast furious (and incredibly boring, IMO) duo with Evan Parker (Black Saint).

John Oswald's a free-improv alto saxophonist in Toronto; the plunderphonics stuff was originally a sideline to entertain himself & musician friends that became much more celebrated than his alto playing.

He's pretty good as a free improvisor, though he has a narrow range (my impression is that he really can't play anything more idiomatic). The earlier O'Rourke/Kaiser/Kimura/Oswald disc on Victo is worth hearing. He also works with CCMC with Michael Snow & Paul Dutton, a Toronto institution of sorts: I'm never gotten terribly excited about it, though some concerts I've seen have been OK. They have a disc out on Victo, too.

Having heard three Bergman discs & one live gig (the duo with Chapin later released on CD) I think my patience with him is exhausted--he's always seemed kinda dull, though actually the early work for Chiaroscuro is worth hearing.

Edited by Nate Dorward

complicite.jpg

ubu

I wonder if this is the same John Oswald who did Plunderphonics and Greyfolded? What instrument does he play on that disc?

Oswald plays alto, Plimley piano. Just read the liners - they are both Canadian and seem to be two of the best on that free jazz scene. They were actually billed to play because Taylor seemed unable to make it, but then he did make it indeed, and thus what would have been a concert of Crispell and Taylor, became a three-set concert with them included. Was all recorded on May 22, 2000 at Festival International de Musique Actuelle in Victoriaville, Canada (Quebec, I guess - that whole Victo label seems Frenc (if one can call that strange idiom of the Quebequois French)).

Will report on the music once I get to know it a bit.

ubu

Cannot get Bergman. Get bored every time I try to listen to him. Sounds random and unstructured to me (he is sometimes compared to Cecil, but Cecil to me sounds totally opposite  - there is a great degree of logics and structure in place).

I don't have too much either - lethargic (and incredibly boring, IMO) solo piano Meditations (Tzadik) and fast furious (and incredibly boring, IMO) duo with Evan Parker (Black Saint).

I have not had any desire to purchase more Bergman since buying The Stone House. It is most likely Drake's contributions that make this disc a keeper for me.

Right now I am listening to my favorite disc with Ken Vandermark:

e90989jt42m.jpg

DKV Trio - Live in Wels & Chicago 1998

Disc one, in Wels, features Don Cherry's Complete Communion as the starting point for the group's improvisation. Drake, Kessler and Vandermark asre all in fine form, with some fantastic interplay and inspired blowing from KV. They really get some nice grooves going and swing like $#@&^%'s. This is a fantastic set, which is available from Okkadisk for something in the neighborhood of $15 for the 2cd set. This one gets my highest recommendation.

:tup:tup:tup

This is a fantastic set, which is available from Okkadisk for something in the neighborhood of $15 for the 2cd set.

I would have loved to buy from Okka (I try to buy either from artists or labels directly), but they don't accpet neither CCs not PayPal. The guys (guy? - I assume Okka is also a one-man company, as most of them...) are stuck in XX century!

Talking about Okka, I assume everybody here (particularly Back Together... fans) already purchased Fred Anderson / Steve McCalls Vintage Duets?

Edited by Д.Д.

Talking about Okka, I assume everybody here (particularly Back Together... fans) already purchased Fred Anderson / Steve McCalls Vintage Duets?

Oh yeah... That's one of the best discs I've purchased in a long time. Highly recommended!

for those of you who have been exploring and enjoying eai, I have a few recommendations to give. Gunter Muller's Eight Landscapes is a solo disc, very much in the same vein as La Voyelle Liquide, but with a greater variety of textures and sounds. It does not work as quite the organic whole as LVL does, but it is a fantastic album!

Staying with Gunter, his album with Voice Crack - Buda_Rom is a winner. I think I prefer this to Bits Bots and Signs, which is Voice Crack's collaboration with Otomo Yoshihide on Erstwhile. These two discs represent the extent of my exposure to Voice Crack and, while I really enjoy is the more succesful of the two albums. Possibly due to my appreciation for the sounds and response Gunter brings to the table.

The third disc is closer to Too Beautiful To Burn, as Martin Brandlmayr appears on both albums. On Radian's rec.extern he is joined by Stefan Nemeth on synth and computer as well as John Norman on bass. rec.extern has more of TBTBs affiliation with "rock" and with jazz based improv than the other two. At the same time I find it to be more abstract and having less flow than TBTB.

Edited by John B

Oh yeah... That's one of the best discs I've purchased in a long time. Highly recommended!

based on both of your comments I will add this to my list of "must hear discs.

I find early Anderson more engaging than late, and this is a keeper.

I'm just giving this a first listen

e39741yvxbs.jpg

my first exposure to Leroy Jenkins & Carlos Wards work.

Let us know how you like it. I haven't checked any of Cecil's Leo releases yet.

Carlos Ward is one of my favorite alto saxophone players (he also plays some mean flute... and is an excellent composer). He is excellent on two live discs he recorded with Ed Blackwell on Enja, and on duo reocrd with Karl Berger.

e39741yvxbs.jpg

my first exposure to  Leroy Jenkins & Carlos Wards work.

Carlos Ward is one of my favorite alto saxophone players (he also plays some mean flute... and is an excellent composer). He is excellent on two live discs he recorded with Ed Blackwell on Enja, and on duo reocrd with Karl Berger.

Check out Ward's playing on some of the discs he made with Abdullah Ibrahim! "South Africa" and "African Marketplace" are two great ones!

ubu

e39741yvxbs.jpg

my first exposure to  Leroy Jenkins & Carlos Wards work.

Its EXCELLENT!

I'm about 30 mins in & things are brewing up very nicely.

Some great sax & flute on this CD also.