Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Wertmüller is a terrific drummer (and John still has to hear him on Brötzmann's Nothung), and I am VERY VERY interested in hearing him together with a guy whjo is all over guitar (hopefully electric with a lot of distortion and feedback).

Meanwhile, I ordered some more CDs from Erstwhile (including Too Beautiful to Burn and some random For 4 Ears releases). Looking forward to opportunity to add some more "profound" cotroversy to the eai discussion.

Edited by Д.Д.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wertmüller is a terrific drummer (and John still has to hear him on Brötzmann's Nothung), and I am VERY VERY interested in hearing him together with a guy whjo is all over guitar (hopefully electric with a lot of distortion and feedback).

I'll tell you once I have heard it if he's indeed all over the guitar on that disc. I am not sure. He is technically very very good (as can be heard on his first solo disc, "World of Strings" - try and get it from the Intakt folks, tell me if its OOP, I can help in that case).

As far as his electronic stuff goes, he is mentioned and appearing/collaborating with all those folks like Fennesz, Steinbrüchel, Erik M etc (I don't know that scene all that much, just have some stray broadcasts).

ubu

There's also a great interview of Burton Greene in the May 2004 section of the Paris Transatlantic Magazine in that link!

brownie, have you heard his latest solo record on Drimala? I am curious about it.

I've heard the new Burton Greene and enjoyed it. I need to listen again before I can say much more.

But, in other news, the Burton Greene Quartet, with Roy Campbell, Adam Lane and Lou Grassi, will be playing in Philadelphia at Slought on Friday, June 25th. I'm hoping I can get a night off and make the show..

Edited by alankin

Hey wazzup? Funny rat gone asleep?

I guess you have all now read the very very sad news of Steve Lacy's death. Let's all listen to some of his music this weekend.

I might spin some of his duos with Waldron, "Five Facings", and probably add the "Straight Horn", too, as well as the terrific disc "Work" (it has been mentioned here, several times).

ubu

I guess you have all now read the very very sad news of Steve Lacy's death. Let's all listen to some of his music this weekend.

I might spin some of his duos with Waldron, "Five Facings", and probably add the "Straight Horn", too, as well as the terrific disc "Work" (it has been mentioned here, several times).

ubu

In my case it didn't go to sleep, I went to Seattle.

I don't have much Steve Lacy at all. I'll pull out Clinkers and give that one a spin this weekend. I need to get some more of his work soon.

ubu

Sleeping is not healthy anyway, is it? ;)

I see it's 3:21 am here and me and D.D. still here :w

ubu

Well, that's normal thing for weekend, isn't it?

Will be listening to Lacy these days (starting with phenomenal Morning Joy on hatOLOGY).

ubu

Well, that's normal thing for weekend, isn't it?

Will be listening to Lacy these days (starting with phenomenal Morning Joy on hatOLOGY).

Well, the only problem is I will be up tomorrow at half past 8... that's why I'm off to bed now, even if it's not healthy...

Will spin "Morning Joy" tomorrow, too.

ubu

I only got around one hour of uncomfortable sleep Thursday night. I was very tired yesterday, and am still feeling the effects today.

Clinkers is one of the few Lacy discs I own. It will probably be one of the first discs I listen to tomorrow. Right now I'm taking a break from jazz for the day and am listening to a few Aphex Twin discs, among other "glitchy" albums.

I also bought a few discs on Ayler after taking a break from buying music for a while. I ordered the new-ish Mongezi Feza - Free Jam and the Rashied Ali / Arthur Rhames - Remember Bird & Trane, as well as Anders Gahnold - Flowers for Johnny and Arthur Doyle / Sunny Murray - Live at the Glen Miller Cafe. I've been looking forward to hearing these for a while.

Edited by John B

Right now I'm taking a break from jazz for the day and am listening to a few Aphex Twin discs, among other "glitchy" albums.

Any Aphex Twin recommendations? - I've been meaning to check him out for some time now...

Sure, start with the Richard D. James album, which is probably his most consistent and satisfying album, get Selected Ambient Works '85-;92 and Classics, too. Classics is the most techno-y of the the three. Selected Ambient is fantastic. very relaxed and atmospheric, especially compared to most of his work.

I Care Because You Do is very good as well. I would avoid Selected Ambient Works II unless you become a completist. I have not heard it yet, but have been told that his last album, Drukqs, is nowhere near as good as most of his work.

If you are interested in this music I would recommend listening to Autechre's Tri Repetae album, too.

Btw, John, did you get Particles and Smears (a duo disc of Kevin Drumm & Martin Tétreault on Erstwhile)? What do you think of it? I find it absolutely fascinating.

Thanks for Aphex Twin recommendations.

Yes, I ordered a copy once Jon had it repressed. I like it a lot. Much more than the Drumm / Dorner disc on Erstwhile. It wasn't a disc that I connected with immediately, but it has rewarded repeated listens.

I'm looking forward to reading your impressions of Too Beautiful to Burn.

OK, I listened four hatOLOGY Lacy's I have (three of them for the first time):

Clinkers - a solo performance from 1977. Excellent. It's amazing how many ideas the man comes up with.

Clichés - septet recording from 1982 (with additional percussionsts on one track), with Steve Potts, George Lewis, Bobby Few. Jean-Jacques Avenel and Irene Aebi. Beautiful. Very interesting compositions (with full use of the band's abilities), and great solosing. Aebi is singing a bit here and there, but not too annoyingly (and not too much).

Morning Joy - concert quartet recording with Potts, Avenel and Oliver Johnson from 1986. Joy indeed! Makes you smile and say YEAH! Beautiful contrast between more pensive Lacy and exuberant Potts.

N.Y.Capers & Quirks - trion with Dennis CHarles and Ronnie Boykins, live from 1979. This is my least favorite of the four. Not bad, but not outstanding (as the discs mentioned above) either. As our friend ubu noted, Charles' playing is often too rigid, and I feel it's exactly that here - and it limits Lacy to an extent. Boykins is pretty timid (and severely undermiked).

Hope hatOLOGY will be reissuing more of the Lacy stuff soon.

[. I have not heard it yet, but have been told that his last album, Drukqs, is nowhere near as good as most of his work.

You are quite right , but I think the Aphex twin catalogue is of very high standard & Drukqs is very good in its own right.

The higher tempo numbers reach near melting point on this one! I really enjoy it .

I remember the first time I heard selected ambient works volume 2 - theres a track on there which is just a constant humming noise - I considered saving my money & listening to the hoover instead.

Morning Joy - concert quartet recording with Potts, Avenel and Oliver Johnson from 1986. Joy indeed! Makes you smile and say YEAH! Beautiful contrast between more pensive Lacy and exuberant Potts.

Except, I find some of Potts solos to be overly long and unhappening in terms of using of developing any fresh ideas - falling back a bit too much on the non-improvisatory aspect of improvisation and exploring too little. Well if the his solos were a bit, or more maybe, shorter than I wouldn't have complained about this. I always find myself waiting impatiently for the next Lacy solo on this one. Quite nice tune selection as well, I think.

Agreed on Clinkers. Cliches, I dig less, again for extra-Lacy concerns - in fact, traded my copy a short while ago.

Edited by gnhrtg

Guest Chaney

Good morning gents -- or, good afternoon to you European type folks. :)

Listening to Morning Joy just now. A joyous noise!

I think it might be time to unseal those Soul Note titles that I bought ages ago: Vespers, The Window, Communique, The Cry, More Monk and Troubles.

I'm not a religious man and I don't believe in an afterlife but the though of Mal and Steve together again and smiling...

waldron_lacy-live_dreher.jpg

lacy_waldron_schindelbeck_5.jpg

And Monk! Monk.gif

Friends, I am listening to Rashied Ali / Frank Lowe "Duo Exchange" (Knit Classics, 1999), and it is stunning. Frank Lowe is creating so much furious beauty here, and Rashied Ali is pushing and pushing and pushing up-up-up. Exilirating music (too short, unfortunately - just 29 minutes). If anybody for some reason still does not have this (OOP) CD, he (or she, he-he) should correct this ASAP.

B00004SBNK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Edited by Д.Д.

I have no records from this catalog but I just get from DONALD ROBINSON his latest record with LISLE ELLIS and swedish sax and flute player BIGGI VINKELOE, one of the rare woman to have played with CECIL TAYLOR.

The record, on another swedish label, is pretty good and she is a fine sax player:

- ROBINSON ELLIS VINKELOE: BLUE REVE (ELD Records)

You can find it here: www.eldrecords.se

She has one record 0n LJ Records who looks like an interesting one.

I have no records from this catalog but I just get from DONALD ROBINSON his latest record with LISLE ELLIS and swedish sax and flute player BIGGI VINKELOE, one of the rare woman to have played with CECIL TAYLOR.

The record, on another swedish label,  is pretty good and she is a fine sax player:

- ROBINSON ELLIS VINKELOE: BLUE REVE (ELD Records)

You can find it here: www.eldrecords.se

She has one record 0n LJ Records who looks like an interesting one.

Biggi Vinkeloe actually has two records on LJ Records (one with Peter Kowald, and one with Barre Phillips on bass).

I have her trio with Barre Phillips and Peeter Uuskyla on drums (this is the guy who plays on Brötzmann's "Live at Nefertiti") called One Way Out (Slask Records, 1998) and it's a very strong one (with some amazing playing by Phillips and Uuskyla). Vinkeloe is also a fine flutist.

And Vinkeloye has a good taste for bassist - Phillips, Kowald, now Ellis. These three are actually some of my favorite bassists.

LJ releases seem to be available from themusicresource.com for $10.

Edited by Д.Д.