Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still happens that I'm awake. Oh my, should be up at 7.30.

Yes, if you haven't heard the disc, Bishop gets some nice highlights here for his nice multiphonics stuff as well (nothing too show-offy though, he makes it work musically which I appreciate).

I'm listening to the bonus disc, as I type this - for the third time overall and so far, I've found it weaker than Six for Rollins. In any case, if you're curious how they play Kirk's compositions, it's worth the extra $3.5. Somehow, though, some of the solos are surprisingly weak and the band just doesn't kick as it did on the Rollins tunes - nice playing but nothing that inspiring (unlike the Rollins disc, again which I really enjoyed). It might also be the fact that I hugely prefer Rollins' tunes to Kirk's as well, so there.

The review would be up at jazzcorner - you'll be pretty disappointed I'm sure by my writing skills but check it out nevertheless (at least it'll be a somewhat informed opinion).

Edited by gnhrtg

Been listening to Alexander Von Schlippenbach: Broomriding, which is a very interesting disk. I never heard of Rudi Mahall, but he is outstanding here with the bass clarinet, and interacts nicely with celloist Tristan Honsinger. Some playfull sections to the music, and Von Schlippenbach holds things together at the piano. I have Evan Parker: 50th Birthday on top of my "to play" pile, which has a trio with Lovens & Schlippenbach, I'll be looking forward to hearing what they create.

Still happens that I'm awake. Oh my, should be up at 7.30.

Yes, if you haven't heard the disc, Bishop gets some nice highlights here for his nice multiphonics stuff as well (nothing too show-offy though, he makes it work musically which I appreciate).

I'm listening to the bonus disc, as I type this - for the third time overall and so far, I've found it weaker than Six for Rollins. In any case, if you're curious how they play Kirk's compositions, it's worth the extra $3.5. Somehow, though, some of the solos are surprisingly weak and the band just doesn't kick as it did on the Rollins tunes - nice playing but nothing that inspiring (unlike the Rollins disc, again which I really enjoyed). It might also be the fact that I hugely prefer Rollins' tunes to Kirk's as well, so there.

The review would be up at jazzcorner - you'll be pretty disappointed I'm sure by my writing skills but check it out nevertheless (at least it'll be a somewhat informed opinion).

Dont worry I'd be the last person in the world who would be in a position to be dissapointed.

I do have the new KV disc , but I'm always interested in other opinions.

Well, neither Sonny Rollins nor Roland Kirk was exactly a major composer--that's not primarily what makes their work so important.

Well, I enjoy, both hearing others play and playing, Sonny's tunes much more and somehow they lent themselves easier to nice arrangements for the band, I thought.

I even said tunes and not compositions - as in the memorable melodies and the groove. Of course their compositions contributed much, much, less to their stature than the improvisatory aspect of their work (you see I don't even feel like stating this as an opinion, so obvious it seems to me).

Alexander Von Schlippenbach: Broomriding - I'm getting this one soon, as many, Nate among them, gave this at least a thumbs-up.

edit: D.D. - I think I mentioned ICP's Jubilee Varia a couple of pages before, well Oh, My Dog! sounds a bit more playful and extrovert, well I'll just say that I think they're both good (and different enough). Have been listening to them back to back for the last couple of hours.

Edited by gnhrtg

Well, neither Sonny Rollins nor Roland Kirk was exactly a major composer--that's not primarily what makes their work so important.

Don't want to instigate a discussion on the "importance" issue (who other than critics care about "importance", anyway? ;) ), but I would just like to note that I am somewhat surprised about the whole Kirk hype - I cannot stand his playing (and I have probably about 10 his CDs, so this is more or less an educated statement): I find it very superficial and a total show-off fake.

I love Rollins, btw.

Don't want to instigate a discussion on the "importance" issue (who other than critics care about "importance", anyway? ;) ), but I would just like to note that I am somewhat surprised about the whole Kirk hype - I cannot stand his playing (and I have probably about 10 his CDs, so this is more or less an educated statement): I find it very superficial and a total show-off fake.

I love Rollins, btw.

start a thread "Why I hate Kirk," leads to interesting discussion I have learned... ^_^

oh, but visit a doctor first. If you can't tell what Kirk is about, you may have problems with your ears... ;)

Don't want to instigate a discussion on the "importance" issue (who other than critics care about "importance", anyway?  ;) ), but I would just like to note that I am somewhat surprised about the whole Kirk hype - I cannot stand his playing (and I have probably about 10 his CDs, so this is more or less an educated statement): I find it very superficial and a total show-off fake. 

I love Rollins, btw.

I can't stand Kirk's playing either; there's something about it that gives me the creeps. Sold all my Kirk CDs, including the Mercury box.

I love most of Rollins' mid-1950s to mid-1960s output.

Edited by J.A.W.

oh, but visit a doctor first. If you can't tell what Kirk is about, you may have problems with your ears...  ;)

Nice one! It's all about perspective, you know...

yeah, but I'm not talking to you any longer since you sold all your Kirk.

There!

;)

oh, but visit a doctor first. If you can't tell what Kirk is about, you may have problems with your ears...  ;)

There!

;)

Peace and quiet at last!

There!

;)

You guys (Hans & David) are crazy!

John, stay assured that I LOVE Rah! But then we are crazy enough for that ;)

ubu

Talking about human emotion:

e24771xhodf.jpg

Fantastic album!

:tup

I've just been having a look around the net for more info on this one

& found this review , how's about this for first paragraph!

by Steve Kulak (Sept 1999)

The vibrator was invented in the 19th Century so that doctors could bring women to orgasm more quickly as part of a treatment for hysteria. Peter Brötzmann may have been invented to bring us closer to both.

http://www.furious.com/perfect/peterbrotzmann.html

Gee, while I'm not a devoted Kirkian (I have a number of friends for whom Krik can do no wrong: Ken Waxman & Bill Barton, notably), I don't fathom the hostility here to him either. "A total show-off fake"? "gives me the creeps"? Yikes. Some of the Mercury set's tame, but there are great things there: Domino, Rip Rig & Panic, the album with Benny Golson's charts, for starters. I think the Kirk cult overdoes it but that's a different matter.

I think the only Kirk tune that really stands out from the rest (most of which are functional variants on the blues or various standards, & none of which I can remember at all) is the lovely "Serenade for a Cuckoo".

Gee, while I'm not a devoted Kirkian (I have a number of friends for whom Krik can do no wrong: Ken Waxman & Bill Barton, notably), I don't fathom the hostility here to him either.  "A total show-off fake"?  "gives me the creeps"?  Yikes.  Some of the Mercury set's tame, but there are great things there: Domino, Rip Rig & Panic, the album with Benny Golson's charts, for starters.  I think the Kirk cult overdoes it but that's a different matter.

I think the only Kirk tune that really stands out from the rest (most of which are functional variants on the blues or various standards, & none of which I can remember at all) is the lovely "Serenade for a Cuckoo".

There's no hostility towards Kirk on my part; he doesn't give me the creeps, his playing does (like I said in my post). Reading can be difficult...

Edited by J.A.W.

the criticism is hard, but I guess it is valid. The "gives me the creeps" I can sorta fathom, it is somehow opposed to the "total show off fake" version though, which I cannot really understand. But then, that's not that important is it?

Gokhan, continuing our PM discsussion here, since it might be interested to others.

Check out Scott Rosenberg's own Barely Auditable label. I have two discs with Kyle Bruckmann (Entymology - a solo oboe recoding!, and Six Synaptics with Rosenberg and Zerang), and they are both positively insane (I will try to add more when I re-listen to them).

Listening to some of swiss guitarist/composer/programmer/whatever electronics etc player Stephan Wittwer. (I will do an interview with him next week for that radio programme I produce with some friend).

His Intakt solo album from 1991, World of Strings (Intakt CD 017) has him all over the guitar (D.D., I think you'd like it!). He studied (classical) guitar, got into the free improv scene in the seventies. In 1977 he recorded a duo album Und? with Radu Malfatti (trombone) on FMP - does anyone have this? I have only heard short excerpts so far (we'll get a burn or a partial burn from him). I'd be very interested in hearing any opinions on this.

Also for FMP, he recorded with the COWWS quartet, Rüdiger Carl, Phil Wachsman, Irene Schweizer and Jay Oliver being the other members of that group (Grooves And Loops, FMP 59, recorded 1993, and Virtual COWWS, Rüdiger Carl & COWWS Ensemble, 3CD, FMP CD OWN-90007/9).

Does anybody know these recordings?

Wittwer also can be heard on disc in a group including Peter Brötzmann - the name of which is Sprawl (Trost TR 070). The group consist of Brötzmann, Alex Buess (reeds/electr), Wittwer, William Parker and Michael Wertmüller and was recorded in Switzerland in 1996.

Wittwer's duo collaboration with Michael Wertmüller (I think he got very positive mentions in the rat, some time ago - by D.D.? Not sure) can be heard on Werther/Wittwer, Grob204 (>Grob<).

He seems to be very fond of this disc, too. I don't have it yet, but I intend to get it someday.

Wittwer produced a second solo record, also for Grob (Grob320), Streams, a disc where he is functioning more as a sound-mixer and creater of soundscapes rather than a guitarist. Comparing this disc with World of Strings shows how far he has come in the past 15 years. But then on other projects, he returns to his guitar, and also when I saw him live (with another swiss electronics guy, Bernd Schurer), he did play some guitar, too.

The latest release of Wittwer is on Bernd Schurer's label domizil, and titled sicht.04, and includes mostly electronic music. We will get that from him, too. I this one could be a bit boring (2CDs might just be too much good for this kind of music), yet I'll wait and listen first.

Then, the Steamboat guys have recorded at least one of his compositions, he wrote several film scores, works with artists Fischli/Weiss (they do installations, video, photography etc - they've got their own room in the Tate Modern in London).

ubu