Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, Jon! Listening to the sound samples right now.

But I really guess I have to stick to my buying freeze, I bought so much new music lately, and cannot afford it right now  :(

ubu

If you miss out on this one before it goes OOP try Too Beautiful to Burn. It is, by far, my favorite Erstwhile right now. In my opinion, it is one of the more accesible Ersts. I think it is an absolutely gorgeous album.

(La Voyelle isn't too shabby, either.)

Edited by John B

Another plug for Erstwhile:

if you get hooked, and start buying a few discs at a time, Jon gives great discounts for multiple disc orders and doesn't charge extra for shipping. For example, one disc is $15, shipping included. I'll be ordering five discs, which will be $55, shipping included.

Hey, this Anthony Braxton Quartet: (Dortmund) 1976 is a very righteous session. Love Braxton's solo on Composition 23 J, he's just plays the heck out of that alto. George Lewis plays great, everything is great ... but I'm sure you guys already know how good this date is. :excited:

Edited by Matthew

Hey, this Anthony Braxton Quartet: (Dortmund) 1976 is a very righteous session. Love Braxton's solo on Composition 23 J, he's just plays the heck out of that alto. George Lewis plays great, everything is great ... but I'm sure you guys already know how good this date is. :excited:

Have heard this one recently for the first time, too. A very good one, indeed!

It's one of two Braxton discs I own so far (the other is the large band "Eugene" on Soulnote)

ubu

I think it's Günter Müller/Lê Quan Ninh - La Voyelle Liquide - erstwhile 010

On first, not very attentive, listen I was not too impressed by this one - sounded pretty monotone and directionless to me. I'll listen to it again - this time more attentively.

... e_a.sonata.02 by Urs Leimgruber, Gunter Muller & ARTE Quartet.

What label is it on - for 4 ears?

Yes, that was the label. I've always found interesting the move to incorporate electronics and jazz. Looks like this label is a good place to start, here's their WEB SITE, if anyone is interested.

Also able to listen to two others: Theo Jorgensmann Quartet: Snijbloeman (Hatology) which I liked upon the first listen. It is a rather subduded recording, and the artist that stood out for me was Christopher Dell on vibes. Dell was really locked in with the drummer, Klaus Kugel; a lot a of great interaction between the two of them. This cd won't blow anyone out of the water, but it's a keeper. The other disk that I listened to is The Transcendentalists: Real Time Messengers with Daniel Carter, Steve Swell, Tom Abbs, and David Brandt (CIMP#264). A ton of great blowing, with Steve Swell especially being in great form. In fact, it sounded to me that Swell is the person everyone is playing off of, he just seemed to be holding the center together. About Daniel Carter: I love him on William Parker's Painter's Spring, but here, I don't feel his playing makes as strong of an impact as it should. I'll have to spin it a few more times and concentrate on him, but overall, a nice effort from everyone.

Edit: Klaus Kugel is the drummer, don't know why I said bass, my brain must have froze on me.

I've been planning to buy some for 4 ears releases for some time now - I'll do some random selection from their catalog soon (since I don't rally know 90% of the artists).

Snijbloeman is nice (but not too original, IMO), but I really a problem with the clarinet sound here - it was painfully harsh on my sound system. I was also most impressed by the vibist.

Daniel Carter is phenomenal on Astonishment - a duo recording with percussionist Federico Ughi - pensive, lyrical, etheral music. Very gentle. AMG review. Other recordings of Daniel Carter I've heard are in a more cliche'd "classical free jazz" vein.

Steve Swell (I saw him live once with Cecil Taylor bi band, and he was probably the best soloist in the band) - I've been planning to check out his stuff - any particular recommendations?

Really enjoying the Leo Records stuff that's landing on emusic.com.

Cool, I didn't know Leo stuff is available at e-music. Hope he will be putting some of his OOP stuff there...

Check out Alphea Duo: http://www.emusic.com/cd/10814/10814348.html - great stuff.

Carlos Ward is a wonderful musicians -a shame he is not too well documented. If you canfind them, get the Ed Blackwell Project quartet live sets on Enja MW (they are called What it be like? and What it is) - some very inspired playing from Ward, who is the main soloist here (but Blackwell and Graham Haynes and Mark Helias also shine) and some of his excellent writing. Actually, there is a Calros Ward's CD on Leo called Lito (could be the most "traditional" Leo release ever?; long OOP) - it is also a quartet in the same configuration saxophone-trumpet-drums-bass, with Woody Shaw, and many of the same compositions as on the Blackwell dates, but I find it much less impressive than Blackwell CDs.

What kind of sound system do you have now, David?

If you (or somebody else) want absolutely an out of print hatOLOGY, like "Rara Avis", by exemple, I can brn. you a cp, if you see what I mean.

But if you want the record himself, well, that another story.

Steve Swell (I saw him live once with Cecil Taylor bi band, and he was probably the best soloist in the band) - I've been planning to check out his stuff - any particular recommendations?

This is the first time that I remember hearing Steve Swell. I'm still at the stage of just picking all the different kinds of cds possible, and listening for artists that I find intriguing. Swell is someone I'm going to have to look out for.

I've just been reading the first 30 pages of this thread & correct me if I'm wrong but is it safe to assume I really need these discs (if I can find them!)

Brötzmann's Live at Nefertiti

Mark Dresser Trio's Aquifer on Cryptogramophone

Cecil Taylor's Willisau Concert

Mount Everest Trio "Waves From Albert Ayler"

Thomas Chapin "Alive"

Vienna Art Orchestra-The Minimalism of Erik Satie

Evan Parker. 50th Birthday Concert (Leo)

Little Birds Have Fast Hearts (FMP)Brötzmann

Arcana Mayor / Sonic Tarot Sessions Gianni Gebbia

Anthony Braxton: "8 Duets with Peter N Wilson. Hamburg 1991

Guest Chaney

I've just been reading the first 30 pages of this thread & correct me if I'm wrong but  is it safe to assume I really need these discs (if I can find them!)

Arcana Major / Sonic Tarot Sessions Gianni Gebbia

YES!

Order it HERE.

I've just been reading the first 30 pages of this thread & correct me if I'm wrong but is it safe to assume I really need these discs (if I can find them!)

Thomas Chapin "Alive"

Evan Parker. 50th Birthday Concert (Leo)

I envy you Gary, you'll be listening to this stuff for the first time.

Let us know about your impressions.

I've just been reading the first 30 pages of this thread & correct me if I'm wrong but  is it safe to assume I really need these discs (if I can find them!)

Arcana Major / Sonic Tarot Sessions Gianni Gebbia

YES!

Order it HERE.

Loved this from the description of the cd:

To make single-card predictions using this CD, Gianni suggests that the listener think of a question, put his or her CD player in shuffle mode, and hit play. "The resulting piece will represent your answer," he says.

B) Cool B)

Is this cd really that good?

Let us know about your impressions.

Will do , the 2 Brotzmanns & Arcana Mayor are on the way via suface mail so it may be in a couple of weeks .

In anticipation of these arrivimg I had a quick peek at the AMG reviews of these . For the Live at Neferteti's I was struck by the following line

A logical extension of the music of Albert Ayler,

Now I wish I paid for airmail!

Thomas Chapin "Alive"

Evan Parker.  50th Birthday Concert (Leo)

Gary, Acquifer and Waves From Albert Ayler are available cheap from the labels directly (Cryptogramophone and Atavistic, respectively).

50th Birthday is relatively cheap from amazon.co.uk: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...3600163-1166265 (it's a double CD).

Braxton/Wilson duets CD is (was?) available for $7 from themusicresource.com (as well as a lot of other indispensible Music & Arts label releases).

For the rest of these CDs try the ususal suspects: themusicresource.com; jazzloft.com; cdconnection.com; forcedexposure.com; indiejazz.com; cadence.

Edited by Д.Д.

[Gary, Acquifer and Waves From Albert Ayler are available cheap from the labels directly (Cryptogramophone and Atavistic, respectively).

50th Birthday is relatively cheap from amazon.co.uk: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...3600163-1166265 (it's a double CD).

Braxton/Wilson duets CD is (was?) available for $7 from themusicresource.com (as well as a lot of other indispensible Music & Arts label releases).

For the rest of these CDs try the ususal suspects: themusicresource.com; jazzloft.com; cdconnection.com; forcedexposure.com; indiejazz.com; cadence.

Thankyou :tup