Dylan has a new album out soon, "Together through Life"

jazzbo

• 1 month later...

It's a nice sounding album.

Clem won't like it.

He gives Willie Dixon (deserved) credit for one tune. Guess Willie is pretty successful at suing. :) A decided Chess vibe to quite a few tunes, and Bob has found a way to get his battered voice to belt out a bit more Howlin' Wolf tone.

I like it.

Clem won't like it.

He gives Willie Dixon (deserved) credit for one tune. Guess Willie is pretty successful at suing. :) A decided Chess vibe to quite a few tunes, and Bob has found a way to get his battered voice to belt out a bit more Howlin' Wolf tone.

I like it.

One spin through, sort of half listening, while the song structures are pretty basic it has a cool breezy sound, in addition to the Guitars I love the Accordion on it. Again, I haven't spent much time with it but so far the first song and the second half stood out. Am I crazy or on on a couple songs his voice actually sounds pretty good?

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet - maybe this weekend. I got the "deluxe" version, which includes a Theme Time Radio Hour disc, as well as (I love this detail) a sticker and a poster of the album cover - just like the '70's!

Has anyone viewed the "Lost Roy Silver Interview" yet? We watched it last night - what a waste of time! :bad:

Wasn't planning on watching it. I got the deluxe just for the Theme Time Radio Hour disc which I enjoyed immensely. Plus with the sale on it, it was the same price as a single cd.

Has anyone viewed the "Lost Roy Silver Interview" yet? We watched it last night - what a waste of time! :bad:

Yeah, the deluxe edition didn't offer anything I wanted or needed, so I just stuck with the single disc version. I have that episode of TTR on disc already and I had a feeling that I didn't need to see the Roy Silver Interview. I certainly don't feel like I'm missing out on anything!

It's curious though: This makes two BIG strikes on Sony's part when it comes to Bob's most recent releases. Putting out the third disc of the most recent Bootleg Series collection in an expensive hardback book? Putting worthless bonus material in the "deluxe" edition of "Together Through Life"? The funniest thing about the third disc of "Tell Tale Signs" (which is readily available online for those willing to look...not advocating...just saying) is that the booklet that comes with the set speaks in glowing terms of the bootleggers who insisted on hearing everything, whether it was officially released or not. It talks about how we (the listeners) feel that we DESERVED to hear all the stuff Columbia and Dylan were keeping from us. It's like, "Okay...we'll just take that otherwise unavailable third disc to this set, then..."

Clem won't like it.

I like it.

Given that they are giving out co-composer credit to blues artist, they might have also given Jody Williams (who is still alive and making a very modest living) some credit for Beyond Here Lies Nothing. Most of the arrangement for that one is ripped from Jody Williams' Lucky Lou, although perhaps indirectly through Otis Rush's rip of Jody (All Your Love (I Miss Loving)).

Edited by John L

• 4 weeks later...

So I've listened to it a few times. It's nice, but has much less personality than "Modern Times." Disappointing for me since I loved "Silvio" so much and was looking forward to the collaboration of Dylan and Hunter, but it seems like they smoothed out each other's quirks. Dylan's ravaged voice hasn't gotten worse since Modern Times, but is still pretty painful to listen to. Also, it's not like he's using his ravaged voice to good effect, as he did on "Nettie Moore" or "Lonesome Day Blues" (from Tell Tale Signs). So I don't think I'll be returning to it the way I did to Modern Times.

That's interesting, because I actually find that I've already listened to this more times than "Modern Times," find it to be more interesting and cohesive than that cd, and think that he is using his voice to very good advantage here.

:)

That's interesting, because I actually find that I've already listened to this more times than "Modern Times," find it to be more interesting and cohesive than that cd, and think that he is using his voice to very good advantage here.

:)

I agree with what you say about the use of his voice on the new one, but there was nothing wrong with Modern Times either. The new one is a different sound than his last few, mainly due to the excellent guitar playing of Mike Campbell, and the accordion, but I think it fits in nicely with Love and Theft and Modern Times.

Is that what Dylan is all about? I don't personally think Dylan is all about "lyrics" at all for some time, since the eighties maybe before. And I don't think Dylan thinks he's all about lyrics either, that's just my impression of what I've read and seen him say. . . . He knows that the breath that flowed in the early and mid-sixities stopped flowing and he's had to cope wiht a different "instrument."

For me Dylan in this century has been about guitar boogie roots music done by a guy whose roots run really deep and whose love for the music is heart-felt. And when it's done by a working band, as I think it has been on this new album, it has a depth and a feel that I really really enjoy.

Is that what Dylan is all about? I don't personally think Dylan is all about "lyrics" at all for some time, since the eighties maybe before. And I don't think Dylan thinks he's all about lyrics either, that's just my impression of what I've read and seen him say. . . . He knows that the breath that flowed in the early and mid-sixities stopped flowing and he's had to cope wiht a different "instrument."

For me Dylan in this century has been about guitar boogie roots music done by a guy whose roots run really deep and whose love for the music is heart-felt. And when it's done by a working band, as I think it has been on this new album, it has a depth and a feel that I really really enjoy.

I would agree with you about MT & TTL, but "Love and Theft"? "L&T" for me, is a great cd that ranks with anything Dylan's ever done.