Paul Harvey RIP

Soooo....we got a cat here who stole an airplane, got a Section 8, lived a long life as a gay cruiser, and became a favorite of millions (and generations) of Middle Americans with one of the most bizarre announcing styles ever, and the best we can do is obsess over his politics?

C'mon folks, this guy was a FREAK any way you look at it, and should be celebrated as such. In order for any "thing" to exist, it must posses a yin and a yang (and we've already had plenty of "ying-yang" jokes, thank you!). So, by necessity, if we are to have a, say, William S. Burroughs or a G.G. Allin, or anything end between on that end of Freakdom, we gots to have a Paul Harvey as well. "Open" does not exist w/o "Secret", dig? And as far as "hypocrisy" goes, hell, I don't know anybody who doesn't bitch, but I also don't know anybody who can't be bitched about either.

So what if he was a right-winger? Access to the experiences of "life's rich tapestry" is not a politically discriminatory dynamic. The world's chock full of right-wingers, and you can't convert 'em all, nor can you kill 'em all. And some of them, like Paul Harvey, are actually pretty...."interesting" people. So coexistence and appreciation of the diversity therein is essential not only to survival, but to sanity as well.

Paul Harvey was a freak, a character, a uniquely American character (and everything - everything - that implies). Disparage him for his politics, but also appreciate him for his freaky-ness. Because a world without freaks is a world without life.

To the extent that any of my previous posts implied the contrary, let me say I agree with Jim's sentiment about celebrating uniquely American freaks. Harvey was a self-invented original, who managed to do what he did for 60 years and signed a 10-year contract at age 82. Everything else aside, that ain't nothing.

Damn, Jim; if you don't quit pumping up your post count with one-liners like this... :lol:

Yeah, I agree as well. You know, one thing about Paul Harvey: I didn't care for his style or his show in general, but if I happened to hear him over someone's radio, I'd always move closer to hear better...