Out to Lunch with Blue Note records

Hardbopjazz

Fill out the survey and you may have lunch with Blue Note records.

Dear Friend:

This is a special year for fans of Blue Note Records. The label turns 70, and we are celebrating its legacy with a series of anniversary events and releases throughout 2009. This year is also personally important for me, as I am marking my 25th year as president and CEO of Blue Note.

Though there is much to celebrate, it's no mystery that jazz is facing a new set of challenges. Even apart from the dreary economy, the music industry is in a period of flux, and no one can predict what will come next. Many of the old ways we made, experienced and shared music are changing. Those of us who love this music must stay nimble and adapt in order to keep jazz vibrant in the years ahead.

That's why I am asking for a few minutes of your time. The survey below will help me and my colleagues here at Blue Note better understand your interests and how we can serve you better. It should take less than 15 minutes to complete.

As a thank you, I would like to take you out to lunch. We will be selecting one person from the New York area at random to have lunch and talk jazz with me in Manhattan. Ten other randomly selected winners will receive "The Treasures of Blue Note ," a set of 12 CDs and vinyl LPs from our catalog. It includes masterpieces by John Coltrane , Wayne Shorter , Herbie Hancock and Art Blakey . These are some of the records I remember buying when they first came out, and it's a pleasure to make them available to you again.

You and I share a love for the greatest music on Earth. No matter what happens in the music industry, I want to ensure that Blue Note can keep delivering the finest in jazz for another 70 years. Thank you for your help with this survey.

Keep swinging,

OK, I took the survey. A couple things-

One question directed me to "check all that apply" but then an error message popped up saying I could only pick one.

Also, in the question about websites, no mention of Organissimo.org- is this place still not a presence to be reckoned with? <_<

Finally, they spelled "Bobby Hutcherson" as "Booby".

OK, I'm kidding about that last one.

I can't wait for Bruce to call! :excited:

Hey I just did this. One one page it required an answer even if you had none - I'm not active on facebook etc and the only chat room I use is this one which wasn't listed.

I mentioned this board in three answers! :excited:

I couldn't decide what was best album (dumb question since it might not be an 'album') so I went for Change of the Century as personally important for me in my early jazz days.

Oh and I took the chance to criticise the RVG series, but that's just me.

They asked about purchases in the last three months.... anyone else been, uh, a little more cautious recently...?

Also, in the question about websites, no mention of Organissimo.org- is this place still not a presence to be reckoned with? <_<

Not only that, but unlike some of the other questions where they gave you the 'other' option and a nice little space to spell it all out, there was no 'other'. That's really short sighted on their part if they're truly interested in finding out where people are getting their info from. I was kind of annoyed that they didn't have a yes/no question about whether they should start including obis with their cds & vinyl. :rolleyes:

I had that problem with the checkbox question that would only let you answer one, too. Bad quality control. Also, a bad series of questions that seemingly ask the same thing over and over with only slightly different wording.

I do surveys for a living - I would never have let that go out without better QC.

Free........you won't get lunch with Bruce - that's only for residents of NYC. That's why they ask for your Zip. Sorry.

You might get the CD set, though.

Not only that, but unlike some of the other questions where they gave you the 'other' option and a nice little space to spell it all out, there was no 'other'. That's really short sighted on their part if they're truly interested in finding out where people are getting their info from. I was kind of annoyed that they didn't have a yes/no question about whether they should start including obis with their cds & vinyl. :rolleyes:

They're probably still steamed that we allegedly shut down their board and then this place took off better than the old BNBB ever did.

What type of jazz would you say you like best? (Select all that apply)

Fusion

Dixieland

Swing

Big Band

Smooth

BeBop

Standards

Cool

Vocalists

Contemporary

Traditional

Latin

Progressive

Crossover

Other

stupid question but where do, say, blue train, the sidewinder and back at the chicken (ie the stuff they reissue all the time) shack fit in?

What type of jazz would you say you like best? (Select all that apply)

Fusion

Dixieland

Swing

Big Band

Smooth

BeBop

Standards

Cool

Vocalists

Contemporary

Traditional

Latin

Progressive

Crossover

Other

stupid question but where do, say, blue train, the sidewinder and back at the chicken (ie the stuff they reissue all the time) shack fit in?

It's a Blue Note survey and "Hard Bop" isn't one of the options? (nor "soul jazz") That's totally absurd.

Hey well at least they asked us - that's a welcome initiative, right? Like others I thought some of the questions showed a worrying lack of focus. Like the list of styles, where hard bop was missing as others have noted, and where I also felt the need to write 'improv' and 'free jazz' - maybe that is what they mean by 'progressive' but I never heard the styles I like called that. I suspect 'progressive' means something retrogressive but I don't really know...

Anyone else have all the historic titles they listed and none of the ones from the last twenty years...? :ph34r:

Free........you won't get lunch with Bruce - that's only for residents of NYC. That's why they ask for your Zip. Sorry.

Yes, I realize that BF- I was being facetious. (like Bruce Lundvall would actually call....yeah, right!) :w

Tell you what--if you come to Philly, I'll take you to lunch, and you won't have to listen to even one story about Rudy Van Gelder. :rolleyes:

Where is the link to take the survey or am i not getting a joke ?

No, it's for real- my survey was in my email. I tried to create a link but wasn't able, maybe someone else can.

Yeah, it was in my e-mail too, but every time I tried to click it crashed Outlook. I used the link someone posted above.

several years ago, kevin b. and i were guests of tom evered of blue note at an indian restaurant around the corner from the bn offices in nyc. at the end of our meal, i commented on how great the food was. if memory serves, tom replied, "i'm glad, because that meal just set back the reissue program three months." ^_^