Upcoming Mosaic vinyl

J.A.W.

From Mosaic's website (scroll down):

MOSAIC RECORDS HQ VINYL SERIES

Limited Edition Box Set Collections

A new and exciting series returns Mosaic to its beginnings and the production of 180-gram Audiophile LPs. The projects will present a measured focus on an artist’s work or a historical event that will be produced in a 2 – 5 LP Limited Edition Boxed Sets. An 11 x 11 booklet will be included in the collection with original session notes, captivating essays and rare photographs.

The Complete Thelonious Monk At The It Club (MRLP-3001)

4 Audiophile LPs: $100 (Release date March/April)

The Thelonious Monk Quartet with Charlie Rouse lasted eleven years. October 31and November 1, 1964 at the It Club in Los Angeles were just two more nightsout of thousands for them, except when it comes to Monk, there were noordinary nights.

Monk was at a particular high point pianistically during this gig; in fact, he went into a Los Angeles studio and recorded the album Solo Monk on the afternoons preceding and following the live taping. He is in full force throughout, but his playing is particularly superb on the standards “I’m Getting Sentimental Over You” and the previously unreleased “Sweet And Lovely.”.

Just another night indeed! Mosaic has returned to the original three-track tapes and mixed them done to beautiful sounding analog stereo masters, presenting the six sets they played that night as they happened.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE BEST VINYL SHOP

We recently launched www.TheBestVinylShop.com , a website dedicated to “Essential Vinyl For The LP Lover”. The site features the best available Jazz, R & B, Classic Rock and Blues LPs.In conjunction with our launch of this site and the inaugural release of Mosaic HQ Vinyl, we are pleased to announce the release of the first three titles produced by The Best Vinyl Shop. This Audiophile LP series will feature classic and neglected gems in state-of-the-art analog pressings.· Mastered from Original Analog Sources.· Original Liner Notes and Cover Art· Pressed on premium vinyl at RTI Studios

Duke Ellington: Afro-Bossa (BVS-001)

Audiophile LP: $30 (Release date July/August)

Johnny Hodges, Jimmy Hamilton, Paul Gonsalves, Ray Nance, Cootie Williams and Lawrence Brown are the principal soloist and each are in superb form. A few band members are recruited into the percussion section on various numbers to enhance the music’s rhythmic underpinning.

The album was a critical shot in the arm for the Ellington Orchestra when it was released. The title tune, “Silk Lace” and “Pyramid” found their way into the band’s regular performance book and perhaps the greatest composition in the suite, “Purple Gazelle” (also known as “Angelica”), became a favorite among other musicians to play. This is Ellington at his best – when the compositions, the orchestra and the soloist fuse into a single element that brings rich, colorful music to life.

Carlos Santana & John McLaughlin – Love Devotion Surrender (BVS-002)

These two virtuoso guitarists were coming from different musical worlds when they came together for this unique 1972 project. Santana’s hard-driving, Latin-tinged rock band was one of San Francisco’s leading lights. McLaughlin was a pioneer in jazz fusion, first in the Tony Williams Lifetime with Larry Young and then with his own Mahavishnu Orchestra. What they shared, besides the instrument they’d mastered, was profound spirituality; both had taken inspiration from the music of John Coltrane

The core of this album - Coltrane’s “A Love Supreme”, the hymn “Let Us Into The House Of The Lord” and McLaughlin’s “The Life Divine” - are the unlikely vehicles for three magnificent extended guitar jams that border on spiritual ecstasy. Coltrane’s “Naima” and McLaughlin’s “Meditation” provide acoustic interludes. Larry Young’s organ is the cohesive, connective force in this music. To hear Santana and McLaughlin trading licks and then coming together is a guitar fan’s dream come true. But while guitar playing is stunning in its virtuosity, it never loses the focus and the soul of the music.

Otis Spann - The Blues Is Where It's At (BVS-003)

This album was recorded at Capitol Studios on August 30th, 1966 at the end of gig by the Waters band at the Café Au Go-Go in New York City. The band, which backs Spann here, includes Muddy Waters, Sammy Lawhorn and Luther Johnson on guitars, the amazing George "Harmonica" Smith on harp, bassist Mac Arnold and drummer Francis Clay.

Word had spread about the record date and an impromptu audience of friends and fans should up, providing an unintended studio audience. Their presence keeps the band raw and relaxed. Musically, the results sound like a great third set at a club instead of a studio recording.

Spann's singing was at its peak, his piano playing is pure blues. Otis penned five of the nine songs on this LP including the gritty “Steel Mill Blues” and the band showcase “Spann Blues.” Spann gives an emotive readings of Muddy Waters’s “My Home Is On The Delta” and the standard “T’Ain’t Nobody’s Bizness If I Do.’. Spann (being a great accompanist) leaves room for his band to shine.

Edited by J.A.W.

... the Monk release sounds like a good thing, but $100???

I second that part of the emotion ...

$25 - $30 per "high quality" LP seems to be normal these days... Mosaic's pricing is not unique.

I agree, I didn't mean to imply that they were over-charging, just that in these harsh times is there really a demand for this kind of item at this kind of price??? I know the "It Club" double cd set might be slightly difficult to find in certin countries but it's available online for around a fifth of the price, you would have to really love this set and be a vinyl nut to spring for this bad boy.

... the Monk release sounds like a good thing, but $100???

I second that part of the emotion ...

$25 - $30 per "high quality" LP seems to be normal these days... Mosaic's pricing is not unique.

I agree, I didn't mean to imply that they were over-charging, just that in these harsh times is there really a demand for this kind of item at this kind of price??? I know the "It Club" double cd set might be slightly difficult to find in certin countries but it's available online for around a fifth of the price, you would have to really love this set and be a vinyl nut to spring for this bad boy.

Maybe the can a do re-issue of the original double vinyl that had all of the bass and drum solo's removed at a budget price?

Just kidding.

However, as great as Rouse and Monk play on this the bass and drum solo's might not be missed by most.