Emociona!!!Jazz - Madrid Jazz Festival

EKE BBB

Besides Maria Schneider & the Danish Radio Orchestra (Nov, 5 - tonight!!!), these are the artists I´d like to see live from the Festival agenda:

-Jason Moran & the Bandwagon (Nov 8, Saturday, 21:00, Clamores Jazz Club)

-Abdullah Ibrahim solo (Nov 8, Saturday, 22:30, CMU San Juan Evangelista)

-Abbey Lincoln (Nov 12, Wednesday, Colegio de Médicos)

-Elvin Jones Jazz Machine (Nov 15, Saturday, Auditorio Conde Duque)

What should I do on November 8??? Not possible to attend both concerts! ^_^

Any additional comments on all these concerts?

PS: Jan Garbarek, John Scofield, John Surman, Ravi Coltrane, Oregon, Enrico Pieranunzi, Chick Corea New Quartet, Cañizares&Rava + Vitous.... a lot of outstanding names are also featured in this Festival.

Very difficult to choose. Personnally I would like to see Abdullah Ibrahim because he is a legend and I like his music, but on the other hand I would prefer to hear him with a band.

My other choices would be Elvin Jones (could be your last chance to see him on stage), John Surman, Rava/Vitous (who is Cañizares?).

Abdullah Ibrahim solo

It was an incredible concert, ubu! A hard one to listen, but incredible anyway.

Two parts: the first one, 65 uninterrupted minutes of his music, fascinating music: repetitive melodic phrases, silences placed here and there to highlight this and that note, percussive left hand chords, waterfalls of notes with both hands...

The second one consisted of 45 (as well uninterrumpted) minutes of the same thing but IMHO this one was a bit more monotonous. Maybe it was my ear, too tired because of this shocking experience! :D

Abbey Lincoln (November, 12)

Fabulous concert! A short one: about 65 minutes plus 3 bises (yeah, we got three bises from her). The public was totally devoted to her.

Only nine songs, opening with a superb rendition of Hoagy Carmichael´s "Skylark" and ending with a beautiful "The nearness of you". In the middle, some hits she got in the last twenty years such as "Love is made" (from her last CD, "It´s me"), "The world is falling down", "Down here below", "Throw it away", "Through the years"... And she attempted "Somos novios" in Spanish. People got mad about it... though her pronuntiation was not very academic. :lol:

I can´t understand those who argue that Abbey doesn´t swing. She may be 73 years old. Her voice´s not at the highest point, obviously. And yes, she went out of tune a couple of times...

...but it was a wonderful, sincere, relaxing concert!

I dig her special phrasing, her diction, her strange intonation. The way she ends verses, like if the note was disappearing... She offers a different treatment for each song. Looks like she´s singing for herself.

Capable rhythm section: Marc Cary on piano; Michael Bowie on bass; Jaz Sawyer on drums. They had a lot of room for soloing.

Worth paying that 18€!!!!!

Elvin Jones Jazz Machine (November 15)

This was a really cookin´ concert! Oh, my God, he´s 76 but he keeps fit, thin and fibrous like a young man!

The Jazz Machine´s been a school for new musicians for the last 20 years (in the same sense that Blakey´s Jazz Messengers, but a bit more modest). This time the line-up was: Mark Shim on tenor and soprano saxes; Duane Eubanks on trumpet and fluggelhorn; Gerald Cannon on bass and Carlos McKinney on piano.

All of them soloed profusely, but the most impressive one for me was Carlos McKinney. Geez, I´d never seen a guy hitting the keys with such violence. He´s a very unorthodox piano player, but he gave us some shocking soloes in a Cecil Taylor way, with that energy...

The played four songs and two bises. Tizol/Ellington´s "Caravan" was the first and weakest one with certain problems with the sound of the piano and the bass. They got in the spirit of things quickly and the next one, a Thad Jones theme, was a superb 25 minutes jam-session!!!. Bob Thiele´s "What a wonderful world" ballad was played calmly, with Elvin on brushes. Beautiful. To end their program Elvin showed his preference for Japanese folksongs since his marriage with Keiko: they played a stunning "Hokaido" and they reached their climax!

The two bises were a swingin´ Ellington´s "It don´t mean a thing" and another song I did recognize but can´t give a name...

In short: my last chance to see Elvin Jones live was a SUPERB CONCERT!!!

The list of concerts I haven´t attended / won´t attend:

-Oregon

-Jan Garbarek Group

-Larry Martin Band

-Mike Stern Band

-Jason Moran and Bandwagon

-David Sánchez Group

-Nils Wogram Root 70

-Tys Tys

-Dead Capo

-Michael Moore

-Natalia Dicenta

-Roomful of blues

-John Scofield Trio

-Enrico Pieranunzi (Nov 17)

-Lizz Wright (Nov 18)

-Cañizares & Rava + Vitous (Nov 20)

-Chick Corea Trio (Nov 21)

-Manuel D´Oliveira Quartet (Nov 22)

-John Surman (Nov 22)

-Huong Thanh & Nguyen Lee (Nov 22)

-Ximo Tébar Jazz Project (Nov 24)

-Ramón Valle Trio (Nov 28)

Bold letters show I wish I had been able to....

My other choices would be Elvin Jones (could be your last chance to see him on stage), John Surman, Rava/Vitous (who is Cañizares?).

Sorry I didn´t reply you first, Claude.

Juan Manuel Cañizares is a Spanish flamenco guitar player, born in 1966. At 16 he won the National Guitar Contest and he entered Paco de Lucía group in 1989. He has played with many pop-rock-flamenco-experimental groups in Spain.