Marty Paich Quartet

Tom 1960

e15474z86nt.jpg

Anyone care to add some thoughts on this date? Released in 1956 on the Tampa label and available from VSOP, while very brief clocking in just over 26 minutes( Jeez Louise!), it does feature Art Pepper. Can't get enough of Art. Your thoughts as always are appreciated.

I have it but haven't listened to it in ages. I got it when I was going through my own "must buy everything by Art Pepper" phase. I'll give it a spin tonight to refresh my memory but I do recall it has a great version of "Over the Rainbow".

e15474z86nt.jpg

Anyone care to add some thoughts on this date? Released in 1956 on the Tampa label and available from VSOP, while very brief clocking in just over 26 minutes( Jeez Louise!), it does feature Art Pepper. Can't get enough of Art. Your thoughts as always are appreciated.

It's one of the nicest Art Pepper dates I know. Always liked this one! (Look at the date - at the peak of his form.)

I've had this date for a long time, and maybe I've spun it a handful of times. Its funny though because every time I do, I say to myself, what a fine date, but then I put it away and end up not playing it for years. Sure, you'll find better Pepper dates to choose from, but this one shouldn't be overlooked, and thanks to VSOP, this fairly obscure date is readily available and affordable. So, I recommend picking it up!

I've had this date for a long time, and maybe I've spun it a handful of times. Its funny though because every time I do, I say to myself, what a fine date, but then I put it away and end up not playing it for years. Sure, you'll find better Pepper dates to choose from, but this one shouldn't be overlooked, and thanks to VSOP, this fairly obscure date is readily available and affordable. So, I recommend picking it up!

Yea, I'd go along with that, I'm on my second spin of this now, it really is a Pepper date in all but name, lovely relaxed playing from the man. It may have been one of his first sessions after his first stay in prison.

This is another one I would recommend if you don't have it;

51W7C55196L._SS500_.jpg

Yea, I'd go along with that, I'm on my second spin of this now, it really is a Pepper date in all but name, lovely relaxed playing from the man. It may have been one of his first sessions after his first stay in prison.

51W7C55196L._SS500_.jpg

I'll certainly back that recommendation! :tup

51W7C55196L._SS500_.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation. :tup Gotta chance to check some of the sample tracks over at AMG and it sounds pretty good to me. Now added to the wishlist. Thanks also for the thoughts concerning the Marty Paich or Art Pepper led date depending on which recording you may own. I may also pick this up at some future date although I probably don't need to rush out too soon.

How does The Broadway Bit fit into the scheme of things?

It's a Marty Paich big band album of familiar Great American Songbook themes. As such it was aimed at a more general audience than the 100% jazz albums we've been discussing. Of course, Art Pepper was also on board for this one, but committed jazz listeners are likely to prefer Art Pepper + Eleven: Modern Jazz Classics if they want to hear him in a Paich big band context.

The two sessions mentioned above are only separated by three months (August and November, 1956). They're both much stronger than Pepper's Discovery sessions, in my opinion.

The + Eleven session is even stronger, I think. Just listened to it today. Art's tenor ... I wish he'd played more of it. (Clarinet's good too.) The K2 of this is super fine.

McLovin.