Damaged in Transit

king ubu

XWATT11.jpg

I just had an ear-ful of this at lunch-time.

They're very very good! I saw them live in Zurich during the same tour this disc was recorded (in France). Potter seems to get better and better! Swallow grooves as usual, and Nussbaum is very responsive, and adds a nice, a little harder touch to the proceedings.

That's what the ECM website has to say:

In November 2002, the Steve Swallow Trio, also known as Damaged In Transit, blazed its way across Europe in a three-week tour that reached peak performances at its climax in France. It is from these French dates that "Damaged In Transit", the album, is drawn. The stripped-down sax/bass/drums line-up gives all players room to move, and the context makes a particularly impressive showcase for Chris Potter, whose solos are supercharged by the interaction of bassist Swallow and drummer Adam Nussbaum.

ubu

Claude, Potter plays with Swallow for some time now. He can be heard on two other XWATT/ECM CDs, both of which also feature Nussbaum and add guitar and trumpet. They're called "Deconstructed" and "Always Pack Your Uniform on Top". The latter was also recorded live, and is, in my opinion the better one. It features fewer but longer tracks. However it's also the first one I have picked up and the one I do know best. Gotta give another listen to "Deconstructed".

ubu (je ne suis pas un structuraliste non plus!)

I bought in a big tradeout the other day, but still haven't heard it (today! after work)...

I have not yet picked it up, but I certainly will! Hope you like it!

There are several groovy and beautiful Swallow tunes on it. I love his compositions. They're often simple, humorous, and just a tiny little bit beyond the usual. Then add his warm dry sound, some sophisticated beats and Potter as the cream...

JohnS, you know the other two Swallow albums with Potter? They're really good!

ubu

JohnS, you know the other two Swallow albums with Potter? They're really good!

ubu

Ubu,

I do. I agree "Pack Your Uniform On Top" is better. The group played at Ronnie Scott's in 1999. I've given up going there but the BBC did broadcast an excellent set by band.

Found a nice review (http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/fridayrevie...1069232,00.html):

Steve Swallow: Damaged in Transit

4 stars out of 5 (XtraWATT)

John Fordham

Friday October 24, 2003

The Guardian

Whatever a real contemporary jazz record is, this one would probably meet the criteria of any jury. Damaged In Transit is a no-frills, flat-out, brilliantly executed piece of stylistically-sweeping jazz jamming, with nothing else to listen to but some very long sax solos on very direct and outwardly simple tunes, underpinned by Swallow's elegant bass-playing and Adam Nussbaum's rumbly, Elvin Jones-like drumming.

The saxophonist is the Dave Holland stalwart Chris Potter, spectacularly ransacking every storehouse of sax wisdom. Swallow's band has included guitarist Mick Goodrick in the past but, as a trio, a lot depends on Potter - and he rises to the encouragement here with a tumbling energy to match his depth and sophistication.

In the spirit of the title, the tracks are given numbers (Item 1 etc) rather than names, but several of them sound pretty close to the insouciant swing, walking-pace Rollins-like calypso, spiky Monkish bop and film-noir blues mix that featured on Swallow's last disc and the quartet version's live shows in 2000. But the playing is wonderful all round, and Potter has rarely sounded freer to roam across styles.

The opener sounds like a bebop tune approached from several different directions, before snapping into fast swing and a long Potter tenor solo built from blocks of contrasting motifs, raucous echoes from old 1960s Blue Note sax odysseys and squealing high-register split sounds. Steve Swallow's soft and slinky electric bass sound often links or introduces the pieces with understated musings, and Adam Nussbaum is at his most imperious under the bluesy slither of Item 2.

Potter tears through a knowing piece of classic fast bebop, close to the throatiness of a baritone sax, Sonny Rollins's weighty, smoky-toned swing and Charlie Parker's melodic agility. But he can also be startlingly tender - as in the fragile high sounds and dynamic control of Item 7 - or meticulous about the weighting of notes, as in Item 8's slow calypso, like Rollins trying to play without waking a baby. Damaged in Transit this stuff definitely wasn't.

ยท Send any comments or feedback about this article to friday.review@guardian.co.uk