Blue Mitchell

jazzkrow

I normally never buy these typically cheesy titles, "Plays for Lovers"-but for my completist Blue Mitchell collection, I bit the bullet-a cheap e-bay price helped cement the deal- & picked up the Blue Mitchell Riverside "Plays for Lovers" cd.

It's a compilation from his 1958-62 Riverside cds-and ALL BALLADS!

Blue's sweet toned, swinging trumpet tone is on full display. I always looked forward to the ballad selections on each of Blue's 1958-1964 albums, and althogh I have all the albums/cds already-and could have made my own compilation, it is nice to have a whole commercial recording of his ballads.

For those of you just discovering Blue thru the Mitchell Mosaic, this is a cheap way to hear his talent, front and center.

Ignore the silly title and artwork-experience the music.

It would also make some nice romantic "opportunities" for those inclined. :g

I seem to be in a habit of derailing threads lately. Sorry.

Jazzkrow, you're right about Blue Mitchell. He has such a great sound, very identifiable- that's one of the most important qualities of any player IMHO.

Love his work w/Horace- the band w/Junior Cook was one of my favorites.

And yes, his ballad skills really show off a magnificent sound and extreme soulfulness.

I think a compilation of his ballad recordings is a great idea.

EDIT: As far as "romantic" inspiration, I've always liked Jarrett's Koln Concert and Shirley Horn's Here's To Life. If I'm remembering correctly, that is. :huh:

Edited by Free For All

I love the tune "Mona's Mood" (Heath?) on one of his BN records, I think it's "The Thing to Do". His ability to economize his phrasing has moved me. For setting up a pre-coital mood, I've found "Solo Monk", "the Gentle Side of John Coltrane", "Chet", and "Blue Ballads" to all be :tup . Oh, and "Jack Daniels" doesn't hurt, either. -_- . Except sometimes if you add :eye: , you might see :rcry .

I love the tune "Mona's Mood" (Heath?) on one of his BN records, I think it's "The Thing to Do". His ability to economize his phrasing has moved me. For setting up a pre-coital mood, I've found "Solo Monk", "the Gentle Side of John Coltrane", "Chet", and "Blue Ballads" to all be :tup . Oh, and "Jack Daniels" doesn't hurt, either. -_- . Except sometimes if you add :eye: , you might see :rcry .

pre-what? whaddahellareyoutalkinabout!?!? :w

I do like Blue Mitchell, I have his Mosaic, and his work with Horace Silver is very fine, too.

It's just that generally I am no fan of compilations. The only ballad comp I have is the Ike Quebec one, which includes some tracks from his 45 sessions (I don't have that one).

ubu