Thelonious Monk: Live at Newport 1958-59.

Cliff Englewood

I don't know if this is really a new release, it must have been out before in some format. Has anyone come across these recordings before? Here is the blurb and the cover;

Product Description

For the first time ever, Thelonious Monk's complete trio performance at Newport 1958 (only an edited version of "Blue Monk" with overdubbed announcements had been previously released on the film Jazz on a Summer's Day). This CD also contains Monk's splendid and also unissued quartet concert at the same festival the following year. As a bonus, the only two existing tracks featuring Monk with the Duke Ellington band, recorded at Newport '62 and also appearing here for the first time. 12 tracks. Gambit. 2008.

1 JUST YOU, JUST ME 4:16

2 BLUE MONK 4:54

3 'ROUND MIDNIGHT 4:33

4 WELL YOU NEEDN'T 3:42

5 IN WALKED BUD 9:49

6 BLUE MONK 8:44

7 CREPUSCULE WITH NELLIE 2:33

8 WELL YOU NEEDN'T 8:29

9 RHYTHM A NING 7:09

10 Announcement by Duke Ellington* 0:22

11 MONK'S DREAM* 5:22

12 BA-LUE-BOLIVAR-BA-LUES-ARE* 4:24

41dta4hA-RL._SS500_.jpg

These are items that have circulated in tapes of collectors, but I have not seen on cd before. (Doesn't mean that they weren't on cd before, just means I've never seen them on cd; I've bought every Monk cd I can find though). I've had them on tape from a former member of this board, but boy they sounded crappy. They sound considerably better on this cd.

These are items that have circulated in tapes of collectors, but I have not seen on cd before. (Doesn't mean that they weren't on cd before, just means I've never seen them on cd; I've bought every Monk cd I can find though). I've had them on tape from a former member of this board, but boy they sounded crappy. They sound considerably better on this cd.

So I take it you have this CD and are giving it the proverbial thumbs up?

I have the cd. If you're a Monk fan, and can handle mediocre sound (it's good enough for this kind of thing but compared to say the RVG recorded Prestige or the Columbia Recordings or the Riverside, mediocre) get it. You'll dig.

Nice one, I think I was most interested in the tracks with Ellington, but I just might have to check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the cd. If you're a Monk fan, and can handle mediocre sound (it's good enough for this kind of thing but compared to say the RVG recorded Prestige or the Columbia Recordings or the Riverside, mediocre) get it. You'll dig.

Nice one, I think I was most interested in the tracks with Ellington, but I just might have to check it out.

I've owned a bootleg of the tracks with Duke for some time. Of great interest of course is the fact that Monk did appear with Duke's band, although I find the arrangement (by Strayhorn, I believe) of "Monk's Dream" rather trite. What's somewhat funny however, and I don't know if this CD retains it, is Duke's obvious ire that surfaces when the audience claps wildly for Monk at the end of Monk's sit-in with the band. Duke says repeatedly, "He'll be back, he'll be back" and when the audience clapping doesn't abate enough (it seems), Duke repeats the phrase for the last time in a somewhat, threatening manner. I don't think Duke appreciated excessive enthusiasm for a guest artist on his (Duke's) time.

• 3 weeks later...