Art Pepper Village Vanguard set for $29.99

Edward

I have not seen this posted elsewhere, so I would just like all of you to know that Newbury Comics is presently offering the Art Pepper Village Vanguard 9-CD set ("brand new, factory sealed") for $29.99 on Amazon.com.

I realize that SecondSpin and Wherehouse have been offering this set for slightly less for quite some time now, but I feel much more comfortable purchasing from Newbury Comics.

On a related note, has anyone on this board had an opportunity to listen to the K-2 version of this set? If so, what are your thoughts of the sound quality as opposed to that of the standard set? Thanks for your insight.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not seen this posted elsewhere, so I would just like all of you to know that Newbury Comics is presently offering the Art Pepper Village Vanguard 9-CD set ("brand new, factory sealed") for $29.99 on Amazon.com.

I realize that SecondSpin and Wherehouse have been offering this set for slightly less for quite some time now, but I feel much more comfortable purchasing from Newbury Comics.

On a related note, has anyone on this board had an opportunity to listen to the K-2 version of this set? If so, what are your thoughts of the sound quality as opposed to that of the standard set? Thanks for your insight.

Thanks.

not sure where you're seeing that...

here's what I see...

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Village-Van...7486&sr=1-1

On the right-hand side of the page, there is a link for "More Buying Choices" showing independent sellers offering used and new copies of this set on Amazon.

Strange that it's listed as used-like new if it is brand new factory sealed...

A great set for a crazy price :)

I had the K2 set and sold it. The highs sounded boosted, too "sharp/edgy" to my ears. The regular set is a bit better in that respect.

Edited by J.A.W.

I had the K2 set and sold it. The highs sounded boosted, too "sharp/edgy" to my ears. The regular set is a bit better in that respect.

And if you listen to some of the between song banter from Art, you could also say a crazy set for a great price. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

not sure where you're seeing that...

here's what I see...

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Village-Van...7486&sr=1-1

On the right-hand side of the page, there is a link for "More Buying Choices" showing independent sellers offering used and new copies of this set on Amazon.

Strange that it's listed as used-like new if it is brand new factory sealed...

Newbury Comics lists items in this manner when they are selling cut-outs.

Thanks for your feedback, Hans.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your feedback, Hans.

I ordered this set from Newbury Comics last week (it is brand new and sealed as stated) and I have listened to about half of it. I am a big Art Pepper fan and this set does not disappoint. For the price it is a steal!

Thanks for the heads-up,

Martin

A bunch of us organissimites took advantage of a similar Newbury deal on this set a year ago--only then it was FIFTY bucks, and we thought THAT was a terrific bargain! :excited:

You know what they say....

The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

mousetrap.JPG

A bunch of us organissimites took advantage of a similar Newbury deal on this set a year ago--only then it was FIFTY bucks, and we thought THAT was a terrific bargain! :excited:

I saw this thread and almost went for it, then checked and realized I already bought it.

You must play it a lot. :rolleyes:

I saw this thread and almost went for it, then checked and realized I already bought it.

You must play it a lot. :rolleyes:

It's still in the shrink wrap! And I'm an Art Pepper fan!

Seriously, I expect I'll be spending a lot less on buying this year and catch up on what I already have.

So STFU and go back to the classical thread! :g

How's the book/notes with this set? I've got most of the discs from emusic, but even so it's quite tempting at that price.

Yes, I'll second that question, I have a 2 or 3 of the single discs somewhere that I haven't listened to in a while, if it's just Laurie "Pepper", (were they ever offically/really married?) doing the talking I might just give it a miss.

Edited by Cliff Englewood

How's the book/notes with this set? I've got most of the discs from emusic, but even so it's quite tempting at that price.

Yes, I'll second that question, I have a 2 or 3 of the single discs somewhere that I haven't listened to in a while, if it's just Laurie "Pepper", (were they ever offically/really married?) doing the talking I might just give it a miss.

Notes are nothing special, some nice pictures and discussion from Ms. Pepper. I would not buy the set for the notes, the music is really good and the between track introductions/comments are interesting. Art Pepper was a great artist and at the same time a complete mess due to drugs and emotional problems. He obviously suffered a lot and I am sure inflicted emotional pain on the people close to him. It is a shame considering the beautiful music he made at the same time.

Martin

Edited by MJK

Notes are nothing special, some nice pictures and discussion from Ms. Pepper. I would not buy the set for the notes, the music is really good and the between track introductions/comments are interesting. Art Pepper was a great artist and at the same time a complete mess due to drugs and emotional problems. He obviously suffered a lot and I am sure inflicted emotional pain on the people close to him. It is a shame considering the beautiful music he made at the same time.

Martin

Cheers Martin.

well............to sum up my feelings about the Vanguard recordings I will quote Bob Neloms (at the time it came out:

"Have you heard that stuff? It's.........................weird."

personally I feel Pepper at this point was in the end-stages of Narcissiticosa Nervosa, compounded by continued drug use and a lack of personal perspective. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, but truly, from an artistic perspective, a lost soul with more talent in his left pinky than most saxophonists contain in their entire psyches. But you had to get him on a non-self conscious night.

this, however, is all just my opinion -

Edited by AllenLowe