Brand X

Guy Berger

Any thoughts on this group? I was giving Unorthodox Behavior a spin today -- it's a nice little album. Phil Collins is absolutely outstanding on drums and there's some nice fretless e-bass by Percy Jones. One of the things I like about this album is that it manages to have a light, loose feel (unlike a lot of other guitar-based fusion) without sounding "lite". Also, it doesn't have the cartoonish themes that occasionally pop up in fusion albums from this period. (Hello, Chick Corea!!!!) Third, this album doesn't fall into the trap of instrumental wankery that people associate with the style.

And finally, "Born Ugly" is kinda funky.

Guy

I have many thoughts on this group. I think about em all the time. I dare call them fusion though, I think of Brand X as more a Prog kind of thing (If have to pigeon hole them as anything). Granted, they are fusion-y in spots, namely the Masques album. I love Phil Collins' work with them, Kenwood Denard and Mike Clark from the Headhunters played drums with them for a while as well. Coming from a British side of things they are a (imo)little less self concious about fitting into any kind of style, let alone fusion.

At any rate, I dig all of their 70's output. The 90's albums are a little bit dry musically, not as varied and they lack the sort of elastic musical (and loose as Guy said) sense they had back in the 70's. Percy Jones' bass work, is easily enough to recommened them to any jazz fan, and it's nice to hear Phil Collins' playing music from time to time. John Goodsall who is on guitar practically every track they ever recorded, puts it all together very nicely, sidestepping any of cliches that jazz and jazz fusion often bring. He shreds dude!!!

So what happened to Phil anyway? Did he sell his musical integrity to Satan in order to achieve fame and money? I mean, Disney soundtracks?!?!? Gimme a fuckin' break.

LAME!

:tdown

I completely gave up on Phil after he covered True Colors by Cyndi Lauper. Now he is making music for his children!

I still like his drumming though! :)

Guest ariceffron

I HONESTLY DID KNOW UNTIIL THIS MONTH THIS BAND EXISTED I DONT KNOW HOW IT PASSED ME BUY- BUT I SWEAR I DONT THINK IVE EVER EVEN NOTRICED THEIR LPS IN THE STORES BEFORE. TO ANYONE WHO CAN---- I WILL GIVE YOU GENESIS BOOTLEGS, I HAVE VIDEO AND AUDIO DISCS OF ALMOST EVERY ONE OF THEIR TOURS I WILL TRADE YOU HANSOMELY.

I only know their "Livestock" album, but I always thought it was a pretty interesting album. Some nice "fusion-y" stuff there.

Livestock is the most "jazzy" album they did. Most of their stuff is more based around Goodsall's guitar and wiggling synths and rock drums....

what a sec...maybe Brand X is Fusion after all! ;)

I don't know which is worse. Being referred to as a "Prog" band or a "Fusion" band. I'd just rather say that I liked their music..A LOT! :)

• 6 years later...

I spun this earlier this afternoon:

brandxdotheyhurt.jpg

For a long time Do They Hurt? was the only album I owned by Brand X, eventually I bought 'em all on vinyl and later on CD. I heard 'em at the Bottom Line in '92 or '93 when they got back together as a trio.

I really enjoy Percy Jones bass playing, for me, he's the star of this band.

...and I heard Percy with Tunnels at the Bowery Poetry Club a few years ago - kind of a disappointment, the synth player was way too loud.

Edited by 7/4