Jonathan Voltzok

The Rep

Jonathan Voltzok, "More ToCome," on Kol Yo records.

It was on an album by the Stein Brothers Quintet that I first heard the beautiful full tone of Jonathan Voltzok's trombone. Jotting down his name for future investigation and to see what other work he had done. Then I read he was releasing an album of his own "More To Come", after listening to it, oh I do hope so. He was born in Israel in 1983 but has been living and working in New York for the last four years. Sharing his musical talents around with the Dizzy Gillespie All Stars, Slide Hampton Trombone All Stars, Jimmy Heaths Big Band and Anat Cohen's Anzic Orchestra. Slide Hampton has been promoting Jonathan very highly and is quoted as saying "he's light years ahead of the pack". On this his debut album he has an extremely good rhythm section with Aaron Golberg on piano, Barak Mori on bass and Ali Jackson playing drums. Slide Hampton guests on two tracks Con Alma and Shawnuff. On two other tracks Antonoi Hart on alto is the guest. A Moment Of Sunshine which has a latin feel and The Fire Dance in 3/4 timing, are his tracks and Antonio's playing sounds as good as the playing which won him such acclaim at Ronnie Scotts recently. There are good solo's and Voltzok shows himself to be multi talented some fine arrangements. His composition skill are also on show to good affect here with A Moment Of Sunshine, Shadows, The Fire Dance, and Duv. This is a good value for money album, having a running time of 64.34min.

The Rep

post-1762-1231598189_thumb.jpg