lets name great jazz lps on Liberty

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

O.K. then ... here's a big plug for the entire 50s JAZZ IN HOLLYWOOD series on Liberty!

E.g. Buddy Childers (Sam Songs - LJH 6009, and Quartet - LJH 6013)

Bob Enevoldsen (Smorgasbord)

Virgil Gonsalves (Jazz in San Francisco)

Dom Frontiere

etc. etc. (including the items they took over from Nocturne)

Yes, and I also like the jazz soundtrack of Hot Rod Rumble (1957).

581d_1.JPG

Thought Sidewinder would have mentioned that one (to refer to his latest BFT) ^_^

Wow - I'd love a copy of that one. Have never seen it !

'Unpredictable' is a pretty accurate description. :)

Actually that's one of the very few "Jazz In Hollywood" series LPs on Liberty that I don't have. I'd like to listen to that one too but OTOH it has one side of instrumentals and one side of vocals and that bad, bad, bad review of the vocals in Down Beat really frightened me away. Even if I disregard the fact that the DB reviews aren't necessarily the final word I know my taste as far as MALE vocals in 50s jazz go, so I definitely would not be prepared to pay top money for such an item (and on eBay I would have had to shell out top money each time I bookmarked that one - at least way more that I'd have been prepared to spend). A candidate for a Fresh Sound reissue??

581d_1.JPG

Thought Sidewinder would have mentioned that one (to refer to his latest BFT) ^_^

Wow - I'd love a copy of that one. Have never seen it !

'Unpredictable' is a pretty accurate description. :)

Actually that's one of the very few "Jazz In Hollywood" series LPs on Liberty that I don't have. I'd like to listen to that one too but OTOH it has one side of instrumentals and one side of vocals and that bad, bad, bad review of the vocals in Down Beat really frightened me away. Even if I disregard the fact that the DB reviews aren't necessarily the final word I know my taste as far as MALE vocals in 50s jazz go, so I definitely would not be prepared to pay top money for such an item (and on eBay I would have had to shell out top money each time I bookmarked that one - at least way more that I'd have been prepared to spend). A candidate for a Fresh Sound reissue??

FWIW, I have this one, found it at a rural East Texas junk shop a long time ago. It's not anything really noteworthy, imo. Some who have heard White's Nocturne/Jazz In Hollywood album say that it is significantly better than this Liberty side. But I keep it anyway, just for the cover.