John McLauglin - The John McLaughlin Montreux

A Lark Ascending

BNAE is an AMAZING album. You have to have it (and I don't say that often here). I think it's head and shoulders above Inner Mounting Flame and Birds Of Fire. It rocks, it thunders. I was at one of those concerts that weekend (including the one that produced "Dream" for the album), and I can attest that's what they sounded like live. They rock! Check out McLaughlin's breaking into "Sunshine of Your Love" during "Dream." I would love to have an expanded version of this album.

I think "Lost Trident" is just the studio version of the material that went into BNAE; it was probably nixed because they thought the live versions were superior.

Yes to all the above, that's what I always thought.

I was also at one of the concerts and I remember it as absolutely mind-blowing!!! I was 17 and even though I had seen Mahavihnu the year before, this was even more special to me. Mahavihnu led me into all other kinds of jazz, as I searched out anything with McLaughlin and found 'Live/Evil', etc.

Listened to the whole set once, pheww that is a lot of music by the same artist to digest in a few time (17 cds in one week). As mentionned previously , the fact that these are different setups makes the whole thing easy to listen to all at once.

Among my favs is probably the duets with Paco De Lucia which i would have yearned for more, the set with De Francesco was quite interesting, the switching between organ and trumpet made for a nice mix. And of course the Shakti stuff is quite thrilling. The first set that starts the set by the Mahavihnu is just wow

Music wise, the only complain is at times it sounds a bit 80's music but fortunately never during a whole piece. Very proud of buying this set, thanks for those who recommended it :tup

Yes, the original Mahavishnu Orchestra were just amazing. If there were still an American record industry, they would deserve a boxed set retrospective, remastered, with unissued tracks and a booklet - like a Rhino deluxe package.

I'd be all over that! I only have the first two and the "Lost Trident" (which indeed is not the great relevation some had hoped it would be). I think there's be one more album to have, but that one only came out in an old stinkin' version, right? (I'm thinking of "Between Nothingness and Eternity")

BNAE is an AMAZING album. You have to have it (and I don't say that often here). I think it's head and shoulders above Inner Mounting Flame and Birds Of Fire. It rocks, it thunders. I was at one of those concerts that weekend (including the one that produced "Dream" for the album), and I can attest that's what they sounded like live. They rock! Check out McLaughlin's breaking into "Sunshine of Your Love" during "Dream." I would love to have an expanded version of this album.

I think "Lost Trident" is just the studio version of the material that went into BNAE; it was probably nixed because they thought the live versions were superior.

Yes, BNAE is much better than Lost Trident. It has just the amount of intensity you'd expect from this edition of the band, though I think the compositions are not as impressive and that some of the boots are superior in that regard.

I am not crazy about the 2nd edition with JL Ponty, though Visions of the Emerald Beyond has its moments. Inner Worlds mostly sucked.

I always liked this amazon review of BNAE:

As many chops as McLaughlin and company display here, these are beside the point; UNMATCHED INTENSITY is the point. Disappointing, my shorts! Even with all its faults, this is still THE GREATEST LIVE ALBUM EVER MADE BY ANY BAND IN ANY SORT OF MUSIC. Granted, it is a little TOO WILD for its own good and the sound should've been better. But, hell, it's still a gothic, maximum decibel crunch, like no other. If you want cartoonish, restrained, chops fusion go listen to RTF; do not come to the land of Voodoo. This record is guaranteed to turn your head into a BASKETBALL every single time you even dare to listen to it all the way through. The guitar/drum exchange between Cobham and McLaughlin on "Dreams" is THE MOST FEROCIOUS THING to ever come out of a pair of speakers.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...