Obama on The Arts, Briefly

JSngry

“Thinking about the diversity of our culture and inviting jazz musicians and classical musicians and poetry readings in the White House so that once again we appreciate this incredible tapestry that's America,” he said.

“Historically, what has always brought us through hard times is that national character, that sense of optimism, that willingness to look forward, that sense that better days are ahead,” Obama said. “I think that our art and our culture, our science—you know, that's the essence of what makes America special, and we want to project that as much as possible in the White House.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1208/16274.html

Well, I'd rather hear about getting music education back into the schools, but that's cool...

I was at an Obama rally last summer, and part of his stump speech addressed supporting arts education (including music) in our schools. I then heard it come up in some of his televised interviews and sound bites.

Not necessarily holding my breath for a radical influx of $$ for the arts in schools, but I at least get the impression that Obama understands that the arts are an important part of the human experience. We'll see...