Music Stores You Like to Go To

Hot Ptah

With the relatively recent sad demise of Bud's Jazz Records, the place in Seattle that I really like best is Wall of Sound on Capitol Hill. They don't have much in the way of mainstream jazz, but if your tastes include free jazz, avant-garde, non-idiomatic improvisation, EAI, contemporary classical plus assorted experimental and/or improvised musics they're the place in Seattle to check out.

Nice to hear they are still open. I worked at Disc Go Round on Broadway while going to college, it was a fun neighborhood back in those days.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bill Barton

With the relatively recent sad demise of Bud's Jazz Records, the place in Seattle that I really like best is Wall of Sound on Capitol Hill. They don't have much in the way of mainstream jazz, but if your tastes include free jazz, avant-garde, non-idiomatic improvisation, EAI, contemporary classical plus assorted experimental and/or improvised musics they're the place in Seattle to check out.

Nice to hear they are still open. I worked at Disc Go Round on Broadway while going to college, it was a fun neighborhood back in those days.

Still is (a fun neighborhood) :party:

Guest Bill Barton

Sorry to hear Bud's is closed, but it's hardly surprising...

Sorry to hear Bud's is closed, but it's hardly surprising...

Took the verbs right out of my mouth. Bummer. Even with the subterrarian location, rent couldn't have been cheap.

Yeah, James did his best to make a go of it, but the writing on the wall was readable for quite some time before the store actually went belly-up. Very sad. It was a bonafide landmark in Seattle and my favorite place to hang-out and talk jazz; bought a ton o' good recordings there too... Bud still does his long-running The Bud and Don Show on KBCS, the title unchanged in memory of Don Lanphere. There's no longer a jazz-centric brick-and-mortar in Seattle as far as I know.

Guest Bill Barton

I remember the first time I went looking for Bud's Jazz Records I walked around for quite awhile before I finally found it! The guy carried more Steeplechase CDs than any other store I've ever seen. Damn shame it's gone.

Yeah, Bud's got good taste. More Criss Cross titles than I ever knew existed too...

Here in L.A., it's got to be Amoeba Records. Unbelievable selection, HUGE store, lots of OOP items... It's heaven, I tells ya.

Although, truth be told, I liked to browse at Aron's Records a bit more... there were some real gems in there from time to time... it's a shame they're gone.

Cheers,

Shane

I caught the tail end of Aron's--I recall a general pricey-ness for new items and terrific overall selection. Amoeba just sort of sucked all the air out of the room.

I grew up in the SF Valley and I remember as recently as the early 2000's double or triple the number of music shops up and going. Moby Disc? Gone. Penny Lane? Gone. (Though I think there's still one in Pasadena somewhere). Tower Records--*sniff*, for all those beautiful Blue Note discounts--gone.

I'd venture to say that there was this huge bell curve in LA these past few years, killing all the small chains, leaving the big vendors and a couple small outliers. CD Trader on Ventura is, god bless them, still very much alive--cheap and with a terrific selection (I remember that's where I got my copies of Happenings and One Step Beyond. back when they were impossible to find). There's another shop in the Burbank area--called either Raygun or 8 Ball (I always forget the name) that boasts a nice CD selection and terrific used vinyl. Though I'm always worried that the more enterprising and "hip" CD shops will diversify into comic books and select action figures any day now...

Total tangent, but I'll have conversations with seven, nine, fourteen year old guitar students that never had CD players.

Edited by ep1str0phy

I remember the first time I went looking for Bud's Jazz Records I walked around for quite awhile before I finally found it! The guy carried more Steeplechase CDs than any other store I've ever seen. Damn shame it's gone.

Yeah, Bud's got good taste. More Criss Cross titles than I ever knew existed too...

Back in the day Bud bought those SteepleChases from me. On his way out of town (for his move from Chicago to Seattle) he stopped by my office and loaded his U-Haul with records. Good guy.

• 2 years later...

For me, far and away Newbury Comics is the best store. I was at the Portland, Maine store this past Sunday and while the jazz selection was on the smallish size, quality and price were excellent. Alot of K2 discs were anywhere from 3.99 - 7.99.

I purchased a number of OJC titles for only 3.99. Having done some comparison shopping online, I came away with a few steals. For example I purchased Joe Newman's "Jive At Five" recently selling on Amazon Marketplace for $25. I purchased it for 3.99.

For me, far and away Newbury Comics is the best store. I was at the Portland, Maine store this past Sunday and while the jazz selection was on the smallish size, quality and price were excellent. Alot of K2 discs were anywhere from 3.99 - 7.99.

I purchased a number of OJC titles for only 3.99. Having done some comparison shopping online, I came away with a few steals. For example I purchased Joe Newman's "Jive At Five" recently selling on Amazon Marketplace for $25. I purchased it for 3.99.

:tup

Well bummer. Just got into Denver. Driving from the airport to work, then work to my hotel, I passed by two of my favorite stores. Or, should I say, where they used to be. Jerry's Record Exchange: gone. Cheapo: gone.*

* Or perhaps renamed and relocated - we shall see.

The Newbury Comics in Boston has long been a beacon of sanity in a world gone mad.

In Seattle, Everyday Music has a good selection of used CD's. Bop Street Records is also good, especially for vinyl. (Full disclosure: the owner of Bop Street is a friend of mine.)

When in New York, I like to stop by More Music in the East Village. In Chicago, the Jazz Record Mart. It may not be what it once was, but it's still unique and fascinating.

The Newbury Comics in Boston has long been a beacon of sanity in a world gone mad.

I shopped both the Natick and the Harvard Square locations a few years back. My preference was the Natick store. I dropped a bundle there. :crazy: