What kind of books did you read when you were a kid?

my dad bought books the way i buy cds and listened to music only by accident or on one of the five or six records that he loved (which is roughly my relationship to books)... i learned reading (just like speaking) rather late and didn't really use it at first...

(reportedly the first time i said more than one word at a time was when i said "muetze nehm ich fuer alle faelle glaub ich" ("hat i will take, just in case, i guess"), my manner of speaking/writing hasn't changed a lot since then, it seems)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Encyclopedia Brown (where I developed my powers of deductive reasoning), The Three Investigators, Jack Tales, anything mythological (Greek, Roman, Norse, Egyptian, Paul Bunyan), all encyclopedias, and my personal favorite - the dictionary. I would (and still) pick up a dictionary and just flip through it reading entries at random. Learned a little bit about a lot of things that way.

Still can't spell worth shit though... :wacko:

What I read with great intensity was Sports Illustrated, I even kept all the back issues so I could read them. Little did I realize that it was the "Golden Era" of SI, and I was reading a lot of quality writing, to me, it was just fun and interesting stuff.

I would love to see scanned issues of SI during that "Golden Era" made available on DVDs, as has been done with the complete runs of both the New Yorker and Rolling Stone. The company that was doing these, Bondi Digital, unfortunately seems to have slowed down their output dramatically, with nothing further since the 50s run of Playboy a couple of years ago.

What I read with great intensity was Sports Illustrated, I even kept all the back issues so I could read them. Little did I realize that it was the "Golden Era" of SI, and I was reading a lot of quality writing, to me, it was just fun and interesting stuff.

I would love to see scanned issues of SI during that "Golden Era" made available on DVDs, as has been done with the complete runs of both the New Yorker and Rolling Stone. The company that was doing these, Bondi Digital, unfortunately seems to have slowed down their output dramatically, with nothing further since the 50s run of Playboy a couple of years ago.

I'd love to check out that last...for the articles, of course.