Contemporary music recommendations

Stefan Wood

I realize that we have an ongoing thread on new music, but over time it seemed to have dropped off. Reading in another thread about how there has been a lack of talk about new music, I figured I would kick start things by recommending a double cd set by Atomic/School Days, called "Distil" on Okka. The lineup is: Jeb Bishop (trombone), Magnus Broo (trumpet), Ingebrigt Haker Flaten (bass), Frederik Ljungkvist (tenor sax & clarinet), Paal Nilssen-Love (drums), Kjell Nordeson (vibraphone), Ken Vandermark (baritone sax & bass clarinets), and Havard Wiik (piano). I first heard this while at Downtown Music Gallery in NYC over the summer, and bought it on the spot. I'm a sucker for that Bobby Hutcherson mid to late 60's Blue Note period (esp. with Joe Chambers), or Walt Dickerson's Steeplechases of the 70's, and this album sounds like a modern descendant of both periods, but does reach further. Not a sonic slugfest, but neither conservative.

od12073m.jpg

Also are two releases from Thrill Jockey, of Sticks and Stones, featuring Josh Abrams, Matana Roberts, and Chad Taylor. The self titled album came out in 2002, and "Shed Grace" in 2004. High quality sax, bass, drums combo. Matana Roberts deserves higher recognition.

31X7H3JYVKL._SS500_.jpg

41CSW40AM9L._SS500_.jpg

Finally, this 2001 cd on Platform Recordings is a wonderful example of mixing genres to create something new -- Psyco on Da Bus, featruing Doctor L, Jean Phildary, Jeff Kellner, Cesar Anot, and Tony Allen (the legendary drummer from Fela's band). There are elements of funk, reggae, afrobeat and jazz, and the result is very unique.

51MyrLRwIML._SS500_.jpg

For those who love Miles Davis' "On the Corner" period, Burnt Sugar has taken that sound to a whole new level, adding elements of contemporary funk, soul, electronics and jazz to create modern improvisational music. Artists like Matana Roberts and Vjay Iyer play on these inventive cds.

51fE5nBDahL._SS500_.jpg

The old punk rocker in me loves this group -- The Thing, with Mats Gustaffson, Ingebrigt Haker Flaten, and Paal Nilssen-Love. Blistering improv trio from Norway. Admittedly, Gustafsson is the weakest link in terms of range and playing, but the music overall is powerful.

61inyzSFKGL._SS500_.jpg

Finally, Tony Allen's "Live." While known for his Afrobeat sound, he's moved onwards, experimenting and improvising yet staying funky. It's not like listening to a Fela album. This cd has a band that plays up the jazz and is very different.

516UPcs5JlL._SS400_.jpg

Edited by Stefan Wood

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I love Tony Allen. I will also check out the Burnt Sugar.

A coupe artists I think some people on here would dig are Will Benard and Jeremy Pelt.

Will Benard has a new one out with John Medeski and Stanton Moore. Kind of a thinking man's groove band. I saw him a Yoshi's a couple weeks ago and he was fantastic.

You click on samples off the discography page

http://www.willbernard.com/

For those that like 60's Miles and Wayne Shorter check out Jeremey Pelt - November. He really gets the feel and sound right on it.

Free samples here:

http://www.peltjazz.com/home.html

Edited by WorldB3

51IiQp1asNL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Came out about January and remains my favourite record of the year. Newly written songs set in an absorbing Brazilian jazz context. Great tunes, fabulous rhythms, nice soloing. With some really significant Robert Wyatt contributions.

Contemporary music does not have to be approached with slide rule and and graph paper. With this one you'll have fun and, I suspect, weep a few tears too.

Correction made.

Here's one more: Electric Kulintang, with Susie Ibarra and Roberto Rodriguez. Anything that Ibarra does is of high quality and good taste. This is "pop" instrumental music that is way too good for the pop music bins. Or, a "jazz" album you can play for the lady (or ladies) in your life.

EK_albumart_front_record.jpg

Go to their website, which has samples and is the only place where you can still buy the cd.

EK website

Edited by Stefan Wood

All these years, I've been offering and receiving recommendations on separate threads here at org.org. So glad I now only have to read one thread. I expect this thread is spam-proof?

Judging by other threads over the weekend, it appears that even jazz fans now agree that all jazz sounds alike.

What is going on here?

My favorite record this year is Paula Morelenbaum's follow up to her her excellent "Berimbaum." It's called "Telecoteco". . . . Very cool.

item_2700_1.jpg

Hadn't heard about this one, that's good to know...how long has it been out, and is it a continuation/expansion/just what exactly of "Berimbaum"?

Had a good time with this one last night:

Outerzonecover2.jpg

Outerzone by Francisco Mora Catlett, a 2007 release. Here we got some Marshall Allen, we got some Craig Taborn, we got some electronica, we got some Afro-funk, we got some Ra-ness, just a nice mix of ingredients to make a good record (or, at least it was good last night).

And here we got a site full of generous-sized samples of most/all of Mr. Franciso Mora Catlett's albums: http://www.franciscomoracatlett.com/

My favorite record this year is Paula Morelenbaum's follow up to her her excellent "Berimbaum." It's called "Telecoteco". . . . Very cool.

item_2700_1.jpg

Hadn't heard about this one, that's good to know...how long has it been out, and is it a continuation/expansion/just what exactly of "Berimbaum"?

The cd came out last month in Brazil I believe. . .so far only Dusty Groove has it that I can find. Yes, it's a sort of continuation/expansion of "Berimbaum". . . if you like that one you'll like this one, no doubt. I love them both. They have distinct differences but they're more alike than not.

I really like this record which was recommended on another thread here previously:

Paolo Angeli - Tessuti

51Gn4PW0HuL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

This is also a beauty:

Dino Saluzzi & Anja Lechner - Ojos Negros

51ALyrSOl1L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Of the Vandemarks this is a favourite:

Ken Vandermark 5 - Simpatico

289899.jpg

Edited by jostber

Just throwing in a link to the Clean Feed recs thread, for anyone who may not have seen it. They've only been around since 2001, I think, so everything in the catalog is contemporary. Unfortunately, no sound samples at their site. But Squidco carries the label, and does have sound samples.

1) Adam Lane, Lou Grassi, Mark Whitecage -- "Drunk Butterfly" sound samples

2) Mahanthappa, Dresser, Hemingway -- "The Beautiful Enabler" sound samples.