Hoops 2008-2009

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The league and television schedule for the NBA was released yesterday -- geesh, just put cameras on Kobe and LBJ 24/7 and be done with it? :rolleyes:

PS: Nice pre-pre-season handicaping by Bruce Jenkins.

Another PS: Did anyone catch Marbury's performance on his 24 hour webcast? I keep reading very strange reports....

Edited by Matthew

The league and television schedule for the NBA was released yesterday -- geesh, just put cameras on Kobe and LBJ 24/7 and be done with it? :rolleyes:

I find it amusing that the headline on Yahoo (courtesy of AP) is "Bryant, O'Neal To Face Off On Christmas." Isn't there some James guy on Cleveland?

Edited by Quincy

Quincy: Do you follow the Blazers? Supposedly Roy is going to sign a contract extension soon. I think that Portland might be very good this season.

Yup, I finally went "native" with basketball a few years ago (I've been a gypsy ever since the St. Louis Spirits disappeared. :lol:) I'm kind of relieved the only big change was getting Miller at PG. He's a true point guard and a fine team player. While I like Blake a lot it would probably be better for him to with the second unit. The reports about Greg Oden's play during the summer gives reasons to optimistic and to not be at the same time. :crazy: Oh, and yes, I have high hopes. I hope they can at least scare some teams deeper into the playoffs.

Edited by Quincy

Quincy: Do you follow the Blazers? Supposedly Roy is going to sign a contract extension soon. I think that Portland might be very good this season.

Yup, I finally went "native" with basketball a few years ago (I've been a gypsy ever since the St. Louis Spirits disappeared. :lol: ) I'm kind of relieved the only big change was getting Miller at PG. He's a true point guard and a fine team player. While I like Blake a lot it would probably be better for him to with the second unit. The reports about Greg Oden's play during the summer gives reasons to optimistic and to not be at the same time. :crazy: Oh, and yes, I have high hopes. I hope they can at least scare some teams deeper into the playoffs.

Now that Seattle no longer has a team, I follow the Trailblazers & Knicks (I like D'Antoni's style). Oden can't play as bad as he did last year, though he is getting close to forty by now. ;)

As much as I hate the term, Jordan was the greatest "closer" ever. He was the most well-rounded player I've ever seen, with virtually no weakness. Prolific scorer, one of the most explosive dunkers ever, a lock down defender, efficient passer...Jordan did it all.

Magic was the greatest passer I've ever seen, unsurpassed by any player in terms of floor vision. Magic was also as clutch as any player I've ever seen, and consistently won games from the moment he came into the NBA. His rookie season is the greatest season any NBA rookie has ever had, culminating in a World Championship and a Finals MVP award in which he played center for the injured Kareem Abdul-Jabaar to clinch the series. That's something that will likely never be matched.

• 3 weeks later...

Ricky Rubio is staying in Spain until 2011 and not going to the Timberwolves. I don't think that's too bad of a set up for Minnesota, Rubio can work on his game for two years, get stronger and a better outside shot, then come and play in the NBA. T-Wolves not too bad off with Jonny Flynn at the point, he seems like a good draft pick.

Ricky Rubio is staying in Spain until 2011 and not going to the Timberwolves. I don't think that's too bad of a set up for Minnesota, Rubio can work on his game for two years, get stronger and a better outside shot, then come and play in the NBA. T-Wolves not too bad off with Jonny Flynn at the point, he seems like a good draft pick.

I hope it works out that way - otherwise that's an awful high draft pick to spend on somebody who may or may not ever play for the team, and may or may not develop how they want him to.

Bruce Bowen retired today from the NBA.

Despite his reputation (some earned, some not so much, IMO) as a dirty player, he was a lockdown defender. 8-time all NBA defensive team. He was also a very good 3 point shooter.

I liked the guy, and I'd venture to guess that every other team in the league would have been glad to have him back in his prime.

Edited by Aggie87