2008-2009 Hot Stove Thread

tkeith

Holy crap, colossal upset in the "World Baseball Classic":

Outsider Netherlands beats the fancied Dominican Republic twice, advancing to the second round and eliminating the D.R.

That one was a real shocker- I think about 30% of MLB players are from DR, so they have a deep talent pool. Maybe the DR players didn't take Netherlands seriously, maybe Netherlands caught lightning in a bottle. You'd think after losing once to them that the DR team would win big, but...

I saw some quotes from Alou and Jose Reyes that were very condescending of the Netherlands. One of them said after losing the first game that they (D.R.) should have beaten them 9-0.

Bigmouths....

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw some quotes from Alou and Jose Reyes that were very condescending of the Netherlands. One of them said after losing the first game that they (D.R.) should have beaten them 9-0.

Bigmouths....

I saw that interview, and the printed quote doesn't convey what was said. If anything, Alou was being condescending towards the play of his own team. His point was that the D.R. has the most talented team and simply didn't play up to the level they were capable of. I had no problem with his statement.

And we're only half-way there, with Opening Day on April 6, or the 5th or whatever it is. OTOH, the best game of the year to date is tonight, with the Sox hosting the Yanks at Fort Myers, MLB Network has it at 7 PM, and I'll be parked in front of the set at least until there is nothing but scrubs on the field.

And we're only half-way there, with Opening Day on April 6, or the 5th or whatever it is. OTOH, the best game of the year to date is tonight, with the Sox hosting the Yanks at Fort Myers, MLB Network has it at 7 PM, and I'll be parked in front of the set at least until there is nothing but scrubs on the field.

This is one of my major complaints about the MLB Network, I went on their website to look at today's schedule, and the Yanks vs. Sox game was not listed! Come on guys & dolls at MLBN, help baseball fans out here! Speaking of Manny, did you catch him showing up at the Dodger game on his "adult" tricycle? Manny is always Manny. :rolleyes:

Conrad,

I guessed Manny first - he also has 14 RBIs but some were for Cleveland. Fortunately no one else guessed, and I checked Dewey and was first to get it right.

Matthew - I checked with MLB Network earlier in the week and it listed this game. I'll be pissed if they dropped it like that! I heard something about a tricycle but didn't see photos.

Conrad,

I guessed Manny first - he also has 14 RBIs but some were for Cleveland. Fortunately no one else guessed, and I checked Dewey and was first to get it right.

Matthew - I checked with MLB Network earlier in the week and it listed this game. I'll be pissed if they dropped it like that! I heard something about a tricycle but didn't see photos.

I checked again, and the game is listed, I must have passed over it. Sweet, it should be a nice game to watch.

Well in no particular order, the things I enjoyed about last night's game:

• Papi and Lowell going yard on the Yanks second best pitcher
  • Saito looking very good - if he is healthy, the bullpen is a monster, and could be even if he doesn't contribute. But it certainly looks like he could, and when he's been healthy he's been a tremendous pitcher.
  • The 22 year old they signed straight out of the Japanese Industrial league looked pretty good, though his delivery looks awkward and might lead to arm trouble in the future.
  • Daniel Bard throws some serious heat - which I knew - but imagine if he continues to dominate in the minors until they bring him up for mid-season help. An amazing bullpen could get help it doesn't really need. Wouldn't you rather have a guy like that than a second lefty like Javier Lopez?
  • When the scrubs were in, it was nice to see those last two guys dominate the two best Yankee position prospects and make 'em look silly (Austin Jackson and Jesus Montero).

Well in no particular order, the things I enjoyed about last night's game:

• Papi and Lowell going yard on the Yanks second best pitcher
  • Saito looking very good - if he is healthy, the bullpen is a monster, and could be even if he doesn't contribute. But it certainly looks like he could, and when he's been healthy he's been a tremendous pitcher.
  • The 22 year old they signed straight out of the Japanese Industrial league looked pretty good, though his delivery looks awkward and might lead to arm trouble in the future.
  • Daniel Bard throws some serious heat - which I knew - but imagine if he continues to dominate in the minors until they bring him up for mid-season help. An amazing bullpen could get help it doesn't really need. Wouldn't you rather have a guy like that than a second lefty like Javier Lopez?
  • When the scrubs were in, it was nice to see those last two guys dominate the two best Yankee position prospects and make 'em look silly (Austin Jackson and Jesus Montero).

Papi and Lowell looked good yesterday, though I wonder how Lowell will hold up over the season. I admit that I don't think that Wakefield is a good starting pitcher, I just don't like the knuckle ball. That shortstop position though, Julio Lugo or Jed Lowrie? Yikes! I still think the Yankees are the third best team in the East, and nothing has happened to change my mind.

Well, personally I think Jed Lowrie will be fine as a starter, perhaps not what Dustin Pedroia became but very solid. His defense was better than expected last year, and his hitting suffered severely as a non-displaced wrist fracture robbed him of any power from the left side. But it was his hitting that gave him the opportunity when Lugo went down, and I think he's going to hit quite well in the majors, with gap power and a strong OBP.

The real problem is that Lowrie is better suited to the backup role both because he's shown he can play 3B and 2B and because Lugo is the kind of clown who will mope if he's not the starter. So I'll bet Lugo will be the starter going in, the question is whether he can keep that job the whole season. I'm pretty sure though they'll manage to move him next off-season when they'll agree to pay some large proportion of his final year's salary. Or maybe this knee injury will be serious and Lugo will start on the DL? One can hope ....

But I'll be very surprised and disappointed if Lowrie isn't a strong major league shortstop eventually.

And as for Wake, we've argued this before - he is at minimum league average and usually better. But in all honesty, I'd be perfectly happy if Smoltz takes over for Wake, and if Penny doesn't cut it, Buchholz can take over for him. A rotation of Beckett, Lester, Dice-K, Smoltz and Buchholz (who looks once again like the guy who threw the no-hitter) would be pretty damn good. There's been talk about both Varitek and whoever is the backup catching Wake, which makes me think that in the back of Tito and Theo's mind is the likelihood that Wake will be the odd man out when Smoltz is ready, and he'll end up in the bullpen where you can't plan his appearances.

It was nice seeing Lowell last night and Papi hitting home runs . Remy thought Ortiz looked good and was encouraged

he could turn on an inside fastball and drive it out of the park something last year he could not do because of his wrist.

Bard looked impressive , he hit 98 on the gun !!!!!

I think Wake is close to finish and this is probably his last hoorah, with all these young guys coming and improving

it might be time at the end of the year to say goodbye.

You are probably right about Wakefield, though remember that Penny and Smoltz are both signed for one year only, so Bowden would have to show he is ready, and Buchholz will have to prove it, too. Otherwise you might see Wake for yet another season.

I might have been right that Lugo's knee problem could be a godsend for those who don't want to see him as the starter. The Globe is reporting that he's "worried", that he has to be in serious pain to complain about it and that when he came out last night, he couldn't move and has shooting pain in his knee which started when he made a double play pivot against Tampa.

Sounds like ligament damage to me, he could very well be looking at surgery.

Conrad,

I checked again, and the game is listed, I must have passed over it. Sweet, it should be a nice game to watch.

I don't get it in my area via Comcast unless I want to pay and extra 160.00 for the year and its not even in HD. I hate Comcast.

We are on Comcast and get MLB Network - we pay for the second tier of programming, nothing extra.

Meantime, the Red Sox are supposed to be about to sign Lester to a five year deal with one or two option years, which is great news. More amazing is the fact that the Sox will pay Beckett, Lester, Dice-K, Wakefield, Penny, Smoltz and Buchholz a little over 36 million this year. Including bonuses, the Yankees will pay that much just for C.C. and A.J.!

Of course, you root for the team to do well, not the owners to make more money. But its still impressive when you can lock up that much talent for such a low total. Add in the contracts for Youk and Pedroia and its obvious the Red Sox are the best run franchise in the game.

Conrad,

I don't get it in my area via Comcast unless I want to pay and extra 160.00 for the year and its not even in HD. I hate Comcast.

I get it off Direct TV, and I enjoy it a lot, though the studio guys could be better. I'm especially excited about baseball this year because, for the first time in my life, I'm in a situation where I can get MLB Extra Innings. Very cool to be able to catch all the games, I'm looking forward to watching East Coast games, I probably will be watching the Red Sox -- reading all those Roger Angell books in my youth has caused me to follow the Red Sox over the years, right now, even with ManRam, I find the Dodgers boring.